Calais (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I saw some disturbing pictures yesterday of the area around Calais. Quite near the ferry terminal there were quite a lot of people living rough looking to find their way to the UK. Given that they need food etc and motorhome are a potential source i was wondering if anyone had stayed recently in the aire at Gaston Berth near the pier or at the yacht basin had seen these people wandring about or had any problems?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I think you will find this campsite (one with immigrants ) has been there for a number of years and there are always some illegals who are trying to sneak through to the UK.

Not sure what the current situation is now that Bulgarians/Romanians are in the mix too but you might want to consider the Aire at City Europe which is in front of the police station. Quite a lot of camping cars use this place.

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We were approached by some rough looking guys at Cite Europe recently after we'd overnighted there. "We need a lift to the UK, we have documents" Yeah, right, course you have! We had a good look round the 'van before moving off!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Personally I wouldn't even consider plotting up within easy walking distance of the area.
I'm sure plenty of people do and without incident but why put yourself in harms way unnecessarily?
Do your research before you set out and plan your stops accordingly.

Last edited:

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We've been staying at both (mainly the seafront one) three to four times a year for five years and never had a problem. We were approached by a tramp once for money but that's all.

Obviously these people are around but I think on the whole they tend to target lorries.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We stayed on the Calais Aire 3 weeks a go no problems, we always use it its a great place to stop and great fish n chips. :thumb:

There are quite a few in the camp if that's what you can call it but its been there for years. Don't see them on the Aire as its policed regularly we've never felt unsafe and it was full as usual when we were there so cant be too many problems. We did see the scallys trying to break into trucks in the motorway Aires as we were approaching Calais but no problem on the dock.

Don't worry just enjoy, and if you don't feel safe move on. :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If just arrived or waiting for a boat there is the port car park near the ticket office. Noisy but seems secure to me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
There is a massive car park at Wally Beaucamp about 45 miles away from train near A16, used it last Friday before we got the train on Saturday. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back