Calais

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by iandsm, Apr 8, 2014.

1. iandsm

iandsm Funster

I saw some disturbing pictures yesterday of the area around Calais. Quite near the ferry terminal there were quite a lot of people living rough looking to find their way to the UK. Given that they need food etc and motorhome are a potential source i was wondering if anyone had stayed recently in the aire at Gaston Berth near the pier or at the yacht basin had seen these people wandring about or had any problems?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  2. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

I think you will find this campsite (one with immigrants ) has been there for a number of years and there are always some illegals who are trying to sneak through to the UK.

Not sure what the current situation is now that Bulgarians/Romanians are in the mix too but you might want to consider the Aire at City Europe which is in front of the police station. Quite a lot of camping cars use this place.

3. rickwiggans

rickwiggans Funster

We were approached by some rough looking guys at Cite Europe recently after we'd overnighted there. "We need a lift to the UK, we have documents" Yeah, right, course you have! We had a good look round the 'van before moving off!

4. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

Personally I wouldn't even consider plotting up within easy walking distance of the area.
    I'm sure plenty of people do and without incident but why put yourself in harms way unnecessarily?
    Do your research before you set out and plan your stops accordingly.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  5. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

We stay at an aire 30miles away, can be there in half an hour on the motorway.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

That's old news they have been there since 1996.

7. Ven

Ven Funster

We've been staying at both (mainly the seafront one) three to four times a year for five years and never had a problem. We were approached by a tramp once for money but that's all.

Obviously these people are around but I think on the whole they tend to target lorries.

8. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

We stayed on the Calais Aire 3 weeks a go no problems, we always use it its a great place to stop and great fish n chips. :thumb:

There are quite a few in the camp if that's what you can call it but its been there for years. Don't see them on the Aire as its policed regularly we've never felt unsafe and it was full as usual when we were there so cant be too many problems. We did see the scallys trying to break into trucks in the motorway Aires as we were approaching Calais but no problem on the dock.

Don't worry just enjoy, and if you don't feel safe move on. :thumb:

9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

If just arrived or waiting for a boat there is the port car park near the ticket office. Noisy but seems secure to me.

10. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

There is a massive car park at Wally Beaucamp about 45 miles away from train near A16, used it last Friday before we got the train on Saturday. :thumb: