Calais, yet again! (1 Viewer)

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
We came through this morning France to England. Booked on the 12:20 crossing, latest check in time 11:50. We arrived at the check-in booths about 10:20 and there were delays in getting through check-in, reported as due to an incursion on the platforms within the terminal.
Once checked in we were warned of an hour's delay but we went straight from UK border control to the loading lanes and barely stopped before getting on the train, which was our booked crossing and departed at 12:22.

Even with the checking-in delay this was less hassle than boarding the ferry, and we'll stick with the tunnel.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Apparently there was a incursion in to the tunnel last night how faking hard can it be to guard two holes in the ground.
Big water filed dich with barbed wire and mines armed troops if all that false threaten to closed the :swear2: thing
and brick it up
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Apparently there was a incursion in to the tunnel last night how faking hard can it be to guard two holes in the ground.
Big water filed dich with barbed wire and mines armed troops if all that false threaten to closed the :swear2: thing
and brick it up
bill
Too right Bill !
And take over the army trainee snipers with the Barrett .50 cal and pick em off from the hills...eh ;)

Failing that, a few apprentice brikkies will sort er !

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Drove to Calais from Gravelines yesterday morning and went in off J25 down to the aire for some chips, then to the ferry to be put on the 14.20 instead of the 15.20 and did not see one migrant anywhere

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Drove to Calais from Gravelines yesterday morning and went in off J25 down to the aire for some chips, then to the ferry to be put on the 14.20 instead of the 15.20 and did not see one migrant anywhere
They'd all be asleep as they work at night.:)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I went on the ferry yesterday, late afternoon. Quite a few around, one actually tried to walk through passport control while we waited and was seen off the premises. The camp has certainly grown since I was last there.
I think the previous poster was right, I don't think they get up early after a long night trying to enter the UK illegally. They are already in France illegally but the French don't seem too bothered.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Africa might become more attractive if it's a long hard cold winter..

lay on trains and coaches to take em back, rather than heat tents

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I bet the tents are not funded by Euro Tunnel :eek:
Surely it is time France acted positively, they should deter them (same goes for you DAVE)
not encourage them?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Interesting point.
The population of the camp is now estimated at 5000

The sub camp for women and children is currently able to take 200 and will be upped to 400 in a while..

That does indicate there is at about 12 men to one woman / child ..

Those figures back up the feeling most of those trying to come to the UK are either single males or worse, they have left their families in what they describe as a very dangerous place

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Interesting point.
The population of the camp is now estimated at 5000

The sub camp for women and children is currently able to take 200 and will be upped to 400 in a while..

That does indicate there is at about 12 men to one woman / child ..

Those figures back up the feeling most of those trying to come to the UK are either single males or worse, they have left their families in what they describe as a very dangerous place

Certainly I have only seen young men (of course from my viewpoint nearly every one, except funsters, is young).

I suspect that they are not necessarily from a war zone anyway, as I'm sure if they thought they had any chance of being recognised as refugees, they would have gone through official channels rather than risking their lives to come here and 'disappear'

chasper

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Ilfracombe, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SLS
Exp
We came back on Thursday morning, we stayed at a site at Wimmereux on Wednesday night as we had a 0950 booking. As we got to Calais we could not get off at J42 but had to go to J44 and approach from the north. The lorries were all in the inside lane and it took us about 20 minutes to get to the entrance to the tunnel, we had the dogs checked and were offered an earlier crossing which we took. The only activity we saw was in the distance there were loads of blue flashing lights in the area where the lorries are loaded, it was still dark. When we came off the other side there were lots of lorries being held on the A20 going to Dover. Good holiday by the way. Chasper.

Reactions: DBK
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We came back on Thursday morning, we stayed at a site at Wimmereux on Wednesday night as we had a 0950 booking. As we got to Calais we could not get off at J42 but had to go to J44 and approach from the north. The lorries were all in the inside lane and it took us about 20 minutes to get to the entrance to the tunnel, we had the dogs checked and were offered an earlier crossing which we took. The only activity we saw was in the distance there were loads of blue flashing lights in the area where the lorries are loaded, it was still dark. When we came off the other side there were lots of lorries being held on the A20 going to Dover. Good holiday by the way. Chasper.
For motorhomes, you are still very unlucky if you have any trouble with the tunnel, despite the odd post we have seen on here(y):)

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
We did the Tunnel a good few years ago, towing a caravan and it was a cinch. Having said that, it was well before the time of protestors. We took Toad Hall across to Holland earlier this year on the Harwich ferry, which went well. Gives you time to relax, chill out before arriving. Only thing I would do next time is book a kennel for the dog. You are only allowed one visit to said pooch in the moho en route. She looked really p'd off!.

Jun 26, 2012
ipswich suffolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt pilote
Exp
2005 off and on
Came through the tunnel last night at about 8.clock , a few oiks around the roads and a couple near to the pets office but otherwise everything normal. the French police are about on main roads even a long way from Calais . We were stopped and searched near Lille, they were looking for "strangers " as they put it so happy trips to you all

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Our first hand experience from this weekend.

Arrived at the seafront Calais aire on Friday, stayed two nights and left first thing this morning to get the tunnel. Went to pet check in and then to the main entrance. Officially we got on the train an hour early but after a 20 minute hold up at the UK passport control we ended up leaving 1/2 hour early.

No issues whatsoever, the only difference to any other time we have travelled are more fences and more cameras around the tunnel and I think a larger police presence in Calais (but they mostly seemed to be there for the frites ;). ).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back