Calais to Valencia - best route in December (1 Viewer)

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Spending the festive season on a site in Alcossebre north of Valencia. Looking at suggested routes I found one that was Calais- Rouen-Biarritz-Pampolona-Zaragoza etc. That does apear a wee bit away from the east coast of Spain and wondered if there was any mileage (no pun intended) in a more direct route down the middle of France approaching the border of Spain/France at Perpignon and onwards towards Barcelona. We want to avoid tolls as best we can and certainly avoid potential snow bound mountain roads. Also has anyone been to Alossebre and offer thoughst and experience?
Many thanks all

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
That's the route I take, Zaragoza to Valencia is fast and easy too, take A23 toll free.

Deleted User
An alternative but costly (tolls) if the weather is bad would be Bordeaux, Toulouse, Narbonne and over the Pyrenees then past Barcelona to Alcossebre, we have done that journey many times in the winter.

Are you staying on Playa Tropicana or Ribamar, we have stayed on both but use Tropicana again now we have the PVC, the 5'er was too much of a struggle, left there a couple of weeks ago.

Not sure what will be open over Christmas but there are plenty of Bar/Restaurants, Isabels on the sea front has been one of our favourites over the years.

Tropicana has a Restaurant and a good Consum supermarket and is an easy cycle ride into town.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Use the partial toll option in about France.com and then the N121A accross to Pamplona - Zaragoza and and the A23 down to Valencia, all toll free. You can also do most of the A63 south of Bordeaux, Toll free, down to the Spanish border where you join the N121A and then toll free to your destination using mostly motorway.
The N10 route through France will be snow and ice free due to it's proximity to the Atlantic.
Have a safe journey.
http://about-france.com/routes-from-calais.htm
http://about-spain.net/travel/map.htm

Jun 18, 2008
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588 PL
Exp
34 Years
An alternative but costly (tolls) if the weather is bad would be Bordeaux, Toulouse, Narbonne and over the Pyrenees then past Barcelona to Alcossebre, we have done that journey many times in the winter.

Are you staying on Playa Tropicana or Ribamar, we have stayed on both but use Tropicana again now we have the PVC, the 5'er was too much of a struggle, left there a couple of weeks ago.

Not sure what will be open over Christmas but there are plenty of Bar/Restaurants, Isabels on the sea front has been one of our favourites over the years.

Tropicana has a Restaurant and a good Consum supermarket and is an easy cycle ride into town.

Jun 18, 2008
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588 PL
Exp
34 Years
If you were going to Toulouse, Narbonne and over the Pyrenees then past Barcelona to Alcossebre. Why would you go to Bordeaux? Surely you would go from Rouen to Vierzon then down the A20 free motorway to Toulouse.

Deleted User
If you were going to Toulouse, Narbonne and over the Pyrenees then past Barcelona to Alcossebre. Why would you go to Bordeaux? Surely you would go from Rouen to Vierzon then down the A20 free motorway to Toulouse.

Two reasons firstly a personal one, and I do realise the OP stated Calais, is that I start near St. Nazaire.

Secondly the route via Bordeaux is mostly coastal or low lying and I did say 'if the weather is bad' and is aprox 60 miles further( if going via Paris) or the same distance if going via Tours, but obviously has more toll roads.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Rouen, Chartes, Bordeaux and Pamploma. In the winter the main routes always (?) stay open. Spain, inland can also be very cold but usually snow free. I would avoid taking roads over the mountains near Andorra. Personally I would go for the tunnel or turning south from Irun.

OP
OP
sylvester1954
May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks all ...really useful info...and yes (matamoris) it is Playa Tropicana we are stopping at ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back