Calais To Spain Avoiding Expensive Tolls ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Yorick, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Normally we cruise down through France in the summer, but next week we want to zap down to the warmer weather a bit quicker :)

Just looked at Google maps and it's nearly 5 hours faster by using toll roads, but I'm a Yorkshireman ;)

Have any of you lovely folk got a route that maybe just takes in a couple of tolls round major traffic hotspots ?
    I don't mind paying a few bob if it saves a load of hassle :)

Cheers :)

2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

• Like Like x 1
  3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

WHOOSH......... Here I am..

@Yorick

See my route in the resources..
    Time savers..
    Use Toll between Boulogne and Abberville €12 but saves 30-40 mins.
    Rouen. Once you come out the tunnels look for signs for Paris and Follow them to the A13. As you cross the river get ready for a tight right hand bend. From the A13 to Paris you will have a short bit of Toll rd as you shoot off for Evereux. It's only a few Euros 3/4 max (not used it for a while).
    Tours to Poitiers is a slow stretch, big time saver here but no idea on cost as only done it in car. Come off at JN30 to rejoin N10 otherwise you will have a big toll charge,,, Almost all dual carriageway to Bordeaux.
    Avoid rush hour at Bordeaux, it's as bad a Birmingham..
    Use A63 to Irun, some new tolls 2 x €5.30 from memory plus more as you reach border.
    Spanish tolls not as bad as France.

• Like Like x 12
  4. Yorick

Yorick Funster

That is fantastic and just what I wanted.

But, maybe SWMBO wants to go to Barcelona - who can tell ? ;)

Is there a similar route down the east side of France ?

5. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

If you're going via Barcelona then follow Tonka's excellent route and after Chartres go on the A71 and A75 via Millau then follow signs for Perpignan/Barcelona

A few more tolls but it's quite hilly in central France and the D roads whilst fantastic for sightseeing are quite a bit slower.

It's only money ;)

I'm on @tonka s winter route 2nd week in January :party2:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Smashing :)

7. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

• Like Like x 4
  8. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Just pay the tolls you tight Yorkshire man. Tighter than two coats of paint!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yorick

Yorick Funster

We're not tight. We're just careful with us brass :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Spot on! Return Toll fare from Calais to Benidorm is around €340.0 better in your pocket than in a sodding toll booth.

• Like Like x 7
  11. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

You're lucky if you've actually seen a Yorkshire man putting a second coat on unless, of course, it was to save putting another lump of coal on the fire!:whistle::giggle:
    But maybe he was trying to impress another local?:confused:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Funster

Within 50 metres after crossing into Spain near San Sebastian, look for right turn off motorway onto the C121A towards Pamplona. Free dual carriageway up to the top of the Pyrenees, single after, on the way down to Pamplona.

I hear that the ACSI campsite at Haro doesn't close until the end of November.

The single carriageway road from Pamplona towards Tudela is as quick as the tolled AP15, beside it. Around Tudela, the free A68 is as quick as the AP68.

Come off at Magellon, taking the shorter way past Zaragoza, rejoining the free A23 near Carinena. Surface is a bit iffy at first but improves after a while. Truckers use this route because it saves 30 minutes. There's an Aire at Carinena or you can continue to Teruel and stay in the Dinopolis car park, quite safely. Supermarket and Diesel/LPG nextdoor.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Funster

PS If you're going as far as Alicante or beyond past Murcia, you can avoid the tolled coastal AP7 motorway by taking the A7, inland towards Alcoy, stay overnight free at Ibi, in the aire. Very safe.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Speve

Speve Funster

Tolls in Spain are a lot less than France and IMO worth paying especially to avoid med coastal Costa del Sol etc

15. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Any chance of a bit more detailed information on the snow free routes .. We hope to head down to Spain after the Christmas break but I don't think the long ferrys are an option. Not too bothered about dodging the tolls its the weather that concerns me !

• Like Like x 3
  16. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Funster

Those costs plus the fuel make the Santander or Bilbao ferry look very attractive.

17. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

All the information you need is in the links I have provided. Look at the option of using some tolls to the south west of France and it is all mapped out for you. Same with Spanish link, it's all there again and gives you options of using tolls/non tolls across Spain. The French N10 route is on the Western side of France all the way down to the Spanish boarder at Irun and by the time you hit the Bordeaux area your into fairly good weather anyway.
    If your really struggling to find the information come back to me and I'll spell it out in detail.
    Safe Travels.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Have used @tonka route planning and works a treat. These days no rush so no tolls.

• Like Like x 2
  19. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

You could not be further from the truth! I suggest you look at that again. The total cost from Calais to Santander, using Toll routes is roughly €320 of which toll fares are about €150. Double that and your looking at around €650 return. Using Non toll routes in both directions would only cost around €250. I think the return ferry fare is around £600-800. A bit of a no brainier but it's down to personal preferences.

20. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

A good route! It's the same as the N10 route as far as Bordeaux described in the link I posted earlier, with the exception of a couple of small toll fares to get round Rouen and through Tours. I use it every time then down the A63 which is probably the best way to get down to the Spanish boarder in winter due to the amount of traffic at the bottom end. Can be a bit of a nightmare if you go off it and only costs a few Euros at the bottom end anyway.

• Like Like x 1