Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Well it's nearly time to hit the road again,this time on my first trip abroad.I'm looking to those of you familiar with France to help me on my way Ive already talked to a few people and am throwing it out there to see what route the majority of you take? I'm going from Calais to Limoges leaving around 10 am and looking to overnight around Chatres.
I'd like to see a bit of France so don't want tolls all the way,however I understand that some short sections can be used to save time around places like Rouen etc.I travel at or around 60 , if so should it take around 5 hrs to Chatres?
My van is 24ft and 3.8 t what class is that on toll sections? And any idea of cost on any recommended sections

Thanks in advance :thumb:
Vlad

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I'm assuming you know the way to Chartres. The route we use from there is over to Chateaudun, then down to Blois, then to Contres, then Valencay, then join the A20 at Chateaudun which is free from there to Limoges. Nice route, we enjoy it.

Enjoy your first trip to France :thumb:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
BTW there's a lovely free Aires at Marboue, just north of Chateaudun

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Assume nothing as said not been before looking at a map it looks like Calais,Abberville ,Rouen ,Evreux,Dreux,Chartres ,Orleans,Chateaurox.(thanks Gerry) but from Calais to Abberville do most go on the toll or the D940 etc .There seems to be a lot of bloody roads on my map:ROFLMAO:

Vlad.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We always go from Calais to Abbeville on the toll road just to get a few miles under our belts. The rest of the route to Chartres you seem to have sussed, but at the end of the day it's your holiday and there are a lot of routes to use. You definitely see more not using the toll roads, we love it, been touring abroad for 20 years.

How long are you going for?

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We leave next Wed for 2 and a half weeks,I read a thread that said Rouen could be tough as there are underpasses,and that a bridge was closed so there are diversions.Any thoughts on best route south ?

Vlad.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Courville-sur-Eure

When we went to Limoges we stopped at Courville-sur-Eure its a free Aires outside the municipal camp site. Its next to the river and a short (200-300yds) walk to the town centre. Market day is Thursday so our stay on Wednesday night was opportunistic.

Google location is 48.446476, 1.242069
Beware we also remember this town for being satnav'ed. First it directed us to a very low bridge under the railway, we went to the next bridge which was ok. Then it took us into the town and wanted us to go the wrong way down a one-way street. The only way out was a narrow archway into the town centre.:whatthe: We survived it but next time we will go to the west of the town and approach from the south-west.

Good luck
Gordon

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Think you may need to revise your speed estimate for main roads, or risk a ticket. Above 3.5T the limit in France is 80kph. Lets you catch more of the views!

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
If you have never been Chartres is worth a look don't just drive around. The cathedral is well worth a visit.

There is a municipal site in the middle of town that accepts ACSI card.

Lunarman

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Checked viamichelin and there are roadworks on the bridge crossing the river in Rouen. Check out the website viamichein.co.uk very informative. Can't help you with an alternative route around Rouen as we've never had a problem going through but I'm sure someone can.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
>3.5t = class 3 ie the same as a coach.......

We're the same as we are >3m

Sometimes you'll get away with class 2 if the scales are out

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
The price of tolls for class 3 is horrendous. When we drive south towards Spain we only use one section of toll road and that is the bit between Tours and Poitiers. This is only my advice because I have been stuck on blocked roads for a very long time and wished again and again that I had picked the toll option. There is a toll road at Rouen and we can never seem able to find it. We did manage it once but have never been able to repeat the experience.

I remind readers again that the road south from Bordeaux to Bayonne is now a toll road and a very expensive one at that. Your map might show it as toll free; it isn't.

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
Hi, You seem to have the right route,if you look at About France .com it will show you routes and tolls and milage,as said the aire at Chartes is a terrible place to get to with sat nav,when you get to Chartes the A20 is toll free,and just down the A20 is a campsite called Le Cormier run by Mike and Cath,nice and quiet, big pitches and wonderfull people,from there down to Limoges,close to this site is Loches lovely medieval village and castle not to be missed, cheap fuel at Le clerc hypermarket,enjoy your trip ,regards H::bigsmile:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Thought about Rouen a bit more and you wouldn't be crossing the closed bridge as you would be turning off towards Evreaux immediately before the bridge. Note: follow the sign for the airport, that gets you on the right road for Evreaux (N15)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The bridge at Rouen will be closed to summer 2014.
Take the turning before the bridge and you will be OK.
Directions below:
If going South (for Evreux and Dreux) on the A28/N28:

After exiting the tunnel take third slip signed VERNON.

In 200m this will bring you to 2 sets of traffic lights at a dual carriageway, the N15.

Go through L hand set of traffic lights to cross the N15 and try to get into the far RH lane.

As the traffic moves stay in the RH lane as you take a slight RH bend in 50M.

If you are not there already, get into that RH lane as the traffic splits in 200M and you must take the road to your right the N15.

Follow the road through an industrial area until after about about a mile it delivers you onto the bank of the R Seine.

Follow the road until a roundabout with 2 exits where you turn right.

Follow that road and you'll see signs for Evreux and Dreux more frequently so you can ignore Vernon

Link for all other options below
http://about-france.com/travel.htm#laws

Have a great trip.

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Bring some warm clothes as the weather here is a tad on the cold side not been above 15
degrees for a while. (last year at this time in the mid 20s).

Sorry about the temperatures but do enjoy this great region.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back