Calais to Koblenz (1 Viewer)

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
We are planning to visit the Koblenz area of Germany at the end of August we have been told this is a really nice part of Germany to visit.
Has anyone a route you would recommend using Aires / Stellplatze en route preferably via Luxemburg at a leisurely pace not using Peage Motorways, we have had numerous visits to France with the motorhome which have been fantastic and now feel we would like to have a change of scenery having never taken a tour of Germany before. many thanks :thumb:

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
If you go to Luxembourg you can then drive to Koblenz along the side of the River Mosel. There are literally dozens of campingplatz along the river and you can stop as often as you fancy. There are some really lovely villages along the way and Bernkastel Kues is one of the nicest, well worth a stop.

Phil.

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
germany

i try to get to TRIER in germany on the first day travelling down the E42.
there are 3 stellplatze in trier the best in the messepark area 5 euros a night.
and as phil says meander down the mossel (cochem is nice, but touristy)
stellplatze all along the river, also good campsites too.
it can be a bit difficult trying to get on stellplatze in late august ( the dutch are everywhere).
from koblentz you can go down the rhine, same again stellplatze everywhere.
enjoy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm with the last two posters, the Mosel is probably the most motohome friendly place in Europe.. Stelpatz abound you will be spoiled for choice.

We went though NE France on N roads, stopping at Montherme aire then onto Stenay aire before hitting Trier which has a couple of Stelplatz close to the town centre, then up the Mosel .. toward the Rhine... magnificent :Cool: can't wait to do the trip again :thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Did that trip years ago the views are breathtaking.
Can't help with parking as it was done by coach. No prizes for the one who spots the most castles, along Mosel and Rhine:whatthe::whatthe:

Dave:thumb::thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
be in cochen on a sunday its usually motor bike day better than any show loads of em . best trip you can have following the mosel. can i come i,m only small.hee.hee.cheers alan

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We are planning to visit the Koblenz area of Germany at the end of August we have been told this is a really nice part of Germany to visit.
Has anyone a route you would recommend using Aires / Stellplatze en route preferably via Luxemburg at a leisurely pace not using Peage Motorways, we have had numerous visits to France with the motorhome which have been fantastic and now feel we would like to have a change of scenery having never taken a tour of Germany before. many thanks :thumb:

we may see you or pass you, as we are going into Germany ....along the Mosel for the first time for about 4 weeks from the 30th of August
Mel.... a french pleasant peasant born Yorkshireman now living in France

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
we may see you or pass you, as we are going into Germany ....along the Mosel for the first time for about 4 weeks from the 30th of August
Mel.... a french pleasant peasant born Yorkshireman now living in France

Hope we meet up as we are same age and have Yorkshire blood in our veins my dad was a true Yorshireman born in York and fought for K.O.Y.L.I. in WW1. :thumb:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
We did the route from Rotterdam to Koblenz, just a days drive by motorway (no toll roads that way). Really liked Koblenz, our trip there can be found here...

Link Removed

Ralph

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hope we meet up as we are same age and have Yorkshire blood in our veins my dad was a true Yorshireman born in York and fought for K.O.Y.L.I. in WW1. :thumb:

Don't forget we will be on French plates,....

And that confuses the French, they chat away for hours, (as a lot of the French have different accents from different regions), even try to set there sat dish facing the same way as ours tuned into Astra 2..... 28.5'.....and then give up and wind the dish down ....not realising we are English on French plates......(unless they speak to me)

Also the Brits think we are French, so a lot avoid talking to us to save speaking in French!!!.......it is only when they pass and say good morning or Bonjour and the reply comes back …good morning are you having a good holiday or you are a long way from home, you can see them stop and think that’s was in English!!..... (And the Yorkshire accent is strong)( hey up luv whats thar doing down here)just joking.

There is a lot of my family over here from WW1 in war graves from the Somme in Albert my fathers sister and my cousin had been tracing the family history and finding the graves….that is only 70 miles from us (that was sad times)

Tinyk

Free Member
Mar 9, 2009
Funster No
Down here at the moment came down via Calais and Brussels, for the Rhine in Flames that took place an kablence last night.

We have been driving the mosselle the last couple days and a lot of the parking areas are very quiet, never been here before but expected it to be packed out but its really not.

Just a shame we are not in the camper and im working but hey, certainly made me think about adding it to my holiday plans for next year.

No huge rip off prices and plenty of wine to drink and try.

Weather has been really off and on, had the worst rain I've ever seen on our way down on Friday but today has been truly beautiful. If we came down with the van i don't think i would bother booking anything and take a chance on finding a free place at short notice.

Whilst in koplence last night got chatting to a couple boat crew and they reckon the are 4 Botles, all of which were pretty new and 3 of them had been laid up for the summer because thier was just not enough trade to keep them going, and thats in the middle of the summer holidays :(

Definitely not just the uk that is being hit by the recession :(

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
:thumb:There are no motorway costs in Gremany and like phil & bevo have said go up/down the Rhine/Mosel lots to see and do wine very good low cost, we did it all last year and will be going back next year if poss.Just go for it.

John

buellster

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
Northumberland
Funster No
Exp
Cochem has its wine festival on the last weekend in August, its well worth the stop been there 4 times now, lots of entertainment and a big fireworks display over the river. Last time, I parked in the car park on the west side of town just off the main rd. below the castle. 24hr ticket from the parking machine. It gets very busy though.

Caggsie

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
N Wales
Funster No
Exp
2 yrs
Just done this route. Our first trip in the van abroad. Trier up the Mosel. Didn't get to stay at Koblenz but went for the day on the Train.

We drove, on advise from someone on another forum, left at the ferry, into Belgium down the motorway to Luxemburg and then Trier - our first stop was a proper campsite in a place called Igel. Chose to do campsite first to get our bearings - certainly wasn't necessary. From here it is just a few minutes drive back into luxemburg for cheap diesel. We stayed on the 53 route through the mosel and there were loads of stellplatz in almost every town we went through. This road runs alonside the river and gives access to the villages.

I agree with OP that Bernkastle Kues is a fab place to visit. Great town with a nice atmosphere. Got as far north as Ruel(spelling)

Our cheapest Stellplatz was €4.50 extra for showers and leccy €1 shower and roughly €1.50 pn night for metered leccy, our most expensive was €8 incl everything but not shower or loo.

Most were on hard standing and with excellent views of the river or right next to it.

Would I do it again - tomorrow but unfortunately now back at work feeling like I'm in need of another break and haven't had a decent bottle of wine since either.

Enjoy Great way to have a holiday.

Karen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back