Calais to Avignon on toll-free roads (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Hi,
We're travelling the above route in October. Via-Michelin (and others) suggest a route skirting Rouen, Chartres, Orleans and Clermont Ferrand.
Anyone travelled this or a similar toll-free route between Calais and Avignon please? Is this a good route with stuff to see please?

Thanks
John

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thats my usual route south,,decent road all the way,,BUSBY.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Just two thoughts from me:

Much better to use the A16 Peage J28/29 to avoid that long ride down into Boulogne. A bargain at €1.10

Make sure you include the A20 in your route - a lovely, free road.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Just two thoughts from me:

Much better to use the A16 Peage J28/29 to avoid that long ride down into Boulogne. A bargain at €1.10

Fully agree,,,BUSBY.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994

Are you sure you Don't mean the A75 which is free from Clermont Ferrand to Montpelier. The A20 takes you further west towards the Dordogne.

If you are going from Orleans to Clermont I would use the route Via Nevers and Moulin rather than Vierzon - Montlucon. Having just done the latter it is quite tortuous. The route Via Nevers has some free motorway (A77) and is much easier IMO.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Are you sure you Don't mean the A75 which is free from Clermont Ferrand to Montpelier. The A20 takes you further west towards the Dordogne..

Ooops - maybe that explains why I keep getting lost over there :)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
That is the way we would go - we used it earlier in the week to get back to Calais. Rouen > Evreux > Dreux > Chartres > Orleans > Nevers > Moulins > Clermont Ferrand > Millau > Montpelier.

But is not all toll free and I would not recommend you try to make it so, otherwise it will be painfully slow. Toll on the A16 between Boulogne and Amiens, a small toll South of Rouen, a small toll to get round the northern bit of Clermont Ferrand and then a toll for the Millau Bridge on the A75 are all worth paying IMHO.

BTW the A75 is a beautiful road - plenty of scenery and civil engineering to admire - much better than going down the Rhone Valley

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That is the way we would go - we used it earlier in the week to get back to Calais. Rouen > Evreux > Dreux > Chartres > Orleans > Nevers > Moulins > Clermont Ferrand > Millau > Montpelier.

But is not all toll free and I would not recommend you try to make it so, otherwise it will be painfully slow. Toll on the A16 between Boulogne and Amiens, a small toll South of Rouen, a small toll to get round the northern bit of Clermont Ferrand and then a toll for the Millau Bridge on the A75 are all worth paying IMHO.

y

It is only slow if you can go fast. If you are holding up all & sundry on the non-toll roads there is no point paying to use a toll road just to help others go a shade quicker.:)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Personally, and feel free to knock me down, I wouldn't go that way at all, I would use this and this is what we always do, though this time we have done it backwards and coming up this way, I'd go Reims, Dijon, Lyon,,valence, Avignon. not all toll free, but plenty roads run alongside that you can use

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Personally, and feel free to knock me down, I wouldn't go that way at all, I would use this and this is what we always do, though this time we have done it backwards and coming up this way, I'd go Reims, Dijon, Lyon,,valence, Avignon. not all toll free, but plenty roads run alongside that you can use

Very slow route but pleasant to drive,,,takes me nearly a day longer that way,,,BUSBY.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Very slow route but pleasant to drive,,,takes me nearly a day longer that way,,,BUSBY.
Never said it was fast , just as you say far pleasanter, love the Charollais countryside, we are just above there now parked in a free vineyard, in the sun , in the vines(y):)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Never said it was fast , just as you say far pleasanter, love the Charollais countryside, we are just above there now parked in a free vineyard, in the sun , in the vines(y):)
We were there two weeks ago,,,BUSBY,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back