Calais Port

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by andyman, Aug 19, 2013.

1. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

Off to France Friday night, can you still part over night at Calais Port. I seem to remember something about you could no longer overnight.
    Will stop at Cite de Europe if not.

Andy

2. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Andy .YES..They still park there no problem.... I have just left Calais port...they have opened the front part up the car park between the Aire and the sea just for motorhomers ..it says cars will be towed away.mmm...this extra part is open from July till the end of August.....from 5.6,7pm it starts to get busy and by 9,10,11pm the whole motorhome parking area is chocker full and motorhomes are parking outside the site and on the road (but police do move road parkers on) and I have seen about a dozen vans parked in the car park area over night where the pharmacy is ....it is still 7 euros for 24 hours.
    By 7,8,9am in the morning the whole site seems to empty

It is the campsite above the aire that has been closed and dug up....

Mel

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  3. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

We stayed overnight at the aire at Calais Port
    N50°57.958’ E001°50.624
    in June for free because no one came to collect the fee. :BigGrin:

4. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

Also travelling over on Friday night, ferry to Dunkirk .:thumb:......... If the parking is likely to be chokker at Calais , consider Gravelines aire . Just up the road a few kilometres ... If still on high season rates , its €6 per night, otherwise €3

N 50°59'19.75 E 002°07'21.83

5. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I dont think Andy means the aire in town but the car park at the terminal itself..
    On a past visit last year it was all changed and there were signs about parking fee's . Place was packed and so i just drove out again. I have seen vans over there but no idea if they are paying or not.. Used to use it all the time but now have been using Cite Europe or the free aire at Wissant.

6. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi,
    Where are you all off too.
    We are not travelling until the 1st sept then off towards brittany.
    :sin:Terry:sin:

7. Heyupluv

If you arrived after 6.30pm and left before 9.30 ish....that is when the collecting man calls:Doh:... BUT if you are one of honest motorhomers like shiftzzz and myself and many other motorhomers... you can take the money with your registration number and pay at the office at the old campsite...or put your money in an envelope with Gb registration on and place it in the old campsite office letter box....merci

It is only FREE from the 1st of November to the 1st ofApril......(the rest from the 1st of April to the 31st of October... it is 7 euros per 24 hours..unless it has changed)

If Andy is talking about the old Marina site...that is also 7 euros...per 24 hours ...BUT at the moment it has a Large Circus on ...the circus has been there for about one and half to two months now

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  8. chaser

chaser Funster

Gravelines for me:BigGrin: like a holiday in its self

• Like Like x 2
  9. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

10. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Yes, we usually look for diferent aires each trip but can't resist Gravelines on the return journey. Spent all afternoon talking to our neighbours sitting overlooking the marina this year and got sunburnt!:Eeek:

Wyn

11. Heyupluv

12. frogijock

frogijock Funster

Was speaking to one of the men who collect the money and he was saying that the Aire was going to be closed, and a new one built further out of town as a large concert hall is going to be built on that area and on the campsite

• Like Like x 1
  13. lorger

lorger Funster

We stayed there for two night a week ago

14. lorger

lorger Funster

Meant to post this :Rofl1:

Attached Files:

15. Heyupluv

Hi Frogijock.. we just happened to be in the Calais vet with our dog at the same time as the (female) La Maire of Calais with her dog.....there are moves a foot she said to make a new campsite we think she said 4*....it was a bit vague but we think the La Maire said to the west of what is now the marina Aire....and there will also be two Aires...but that is as much comment as the lady would make...there are mooves a foot

Also the La Maire did say the old campsite was going to used for something like a educational /cultural type centre

16. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

I am not saying for on minute you are....:thumb:

The old campsite is as you come into the port aire it is on the right hand side just before you turn into the site...(just before the bikes for rent on the road side and before you turn into the site past the Au Cote D' Argent restaurant)..they just use the office now..:thumb:
    I hope this is of some help to you ...Mel.[/quote]

No offence taken.

Thanks for the info.

Regards
    Rob & Val

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Why Calais ???????

Marine Parade Dover overnight, then up early for the ferry to Dunkirk ( Only an extra 20 minutes ) I always catch the Saturday ferry then you have a lorry free weekend for the onward journey !!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  18. magbrin

magbrin Read Only Funster

Confirmation, please............

Have I missed something? The OP referred to the Port of Calais and I am not clear that there has been an answer. We have stayed in the vehicle park near the terminal on a number of occasions over the last few years - we don't know the aire/old camp site being referred to, and have not been to Gravelines.
    We will be crossing to Calais late on a Sunday evening in a few weeks time and were intending to stop at the Port. Is this still possible? If not could someone give directions to the aire?

BTW Stephen, we travel south from Scotland on Sunday, to avoid the heavy traffic, and then relax once we reach France:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  19. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

Spot on. I am sure i read or heard it had all changed. You used to be able to park next to the ticket office. I may just head to Cite de Europe.

20. lou020

lou020 Funster

calais port parking

Hi, we tried to park on the ticket office car park at the end of july, it was around 2am saturday/sunday,
    you can still park there but they have made it a lot smaller by making a large part of it a car park only ,,, with a height barrier in place.
    The "motorhome" etc part was absolutley packed so we drove on and parked in a peage [/SIZE]service area.