Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Herne, Herne Bay, Kent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Exec
Exp
20 years
I have never thought of staying at Cite Europe. Is it well signposted at shuttle terminal? Have stayed one night at Le Crotoy in 2011. OMG next to sand dunes which manage to find there way into van when wind blows. Still finding French sand in 2015. Do not try going there on a French national holiday, we turned up on ascension day and squeezed in so we could shake hands with the vans either side

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have never thought of staying at Cite Europe. Is it well signposted at shuttle terminal? Have stayed one night at Le Crotoy in 2011. OMG next to sand dunes which manage to find there way into van when wind blows. Still finding French sand in 2015. Do not try going there on a French national holiday, we turned up on ascension day and squeezed in so we could shake hands with the vans either side
Literally around the corner, it is just the other side of the fence, don't even have to come out of the complex , off the train first right follow the camping car signs, five minutes, tops

Peatmoor

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Matlock Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Premium Liner
Exp
Since 1986
We have stayed at Calais dozens of times. Never had a problem. Have had problems at Gravelines though with Germans and Dutch who thought they owned the place. Having said that, I asked one German who was hogging 2 pitches, to move to one side he was most apologetic, he complied with my request. Not bad for a German eh!

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We have stayed at Calais dozens of times. Never had a problem. Have had problems at Gravelines though with Germans and Dutch who thought they owned the place. Having said that, I asked one German who was hogging 2 pitches, to move to one side he was most apologetic, he complied with my request. Not bad for a German eh!

Are there make pitches now at Gravelins?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Are there make pitches now at Gravelins?

We were there a 15 months ago and on the land side of the road yes. The marina side was still unmarked. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We were there a 15 months ago and on the land side of the road yes. The marina side was still unmarked. (y)
Marked on the other side now, but very generous no need to take two, in fact don't see how you could cover two even with tables and chairs out.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Anniej,
Yes the tunnel can be much cheaper at certain times. If you select an anti-social hour and an unpopular day, (not a Friday/Saturday at the start of school holidays) you can save quite a few pounds. The web site makes comparisons easy.

Iansm,
We there are markings but not very clear. I seem to remember the word "Payant" is marked on the kerbstones but there are no lines between pitches. We were there in October and they were landscaping the land side. I don't know what other work was planned.

Chaser (edit)
Sorry cross posted, your info is more it to date.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
We found Wissant fair but the lack of disposal facilities put us off, especially before our return home (what's done in France stays in France).

There was a place to dump waste when we were there in June last year, just on the right after entering.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
There was a place to dump waste when we were there in June last year, just on the right after entering.

Thats a relief, when we were there a couple of years ago there was just a drive over grey drain ... which had been used to empty cassettes and was pretty disgusting.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thats a relief, when we were there a couple of years ago there was just a drive over grey drain ... which had been used to empty cassettes and was pretty disgusting.

That`s maybe whats still there ! not the best but better than nothing and better than taking your waste home.
For a free Aire, I wasn`t complaining

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Be warned, the last time we stayed at Gravelines it was a pig-sty ....

literally ....

not kidding ...

honest ...

Gravelines pig.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
What has put me off Gravelines was the reports last year of it being overun with rats?

With all the nonsense going on in calais we normally drive away an hour or two and have a peaceful night....

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
What has put me off Gravelines was the reports last year of it being overun with rats?
In all the times we've been, we've not seen one rat. :eek:

What annoys us about Gravelines nowadays, is that horrible fine red gravel they put down, which is like mud when it is wet. It gets everywhere you don't want it to. (n)

Jock.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We have stayed there probably ten times or so.....Im not talking about the odd rat but hordes of them..caused by construction work? Maybe they have moved on....

Last edited:

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I would imagine there are rats there. I think I saw one once on the sluice gate.
I saw a kingfisher there as well which I found surprising. It was vivid against the mud.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
There are 2 aires at Le Crotoy, the other one is a hard surface, much much larger and far more civilised! At the top of the estuary - as you turn off the main road to go into the village you'll see a water tower (chateau d'eau) on the left, drive past that turning* and take the next left. Drive to the end of that rd, now facing the estuary, hand a left. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

* This is the little rd that takes you to the train station where the 'petit train' takes you to St Valery etc. Good fun!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
:Eeek: Didn't even know they existed over their ? Never seen one.
The second checkpoint you come to Gus, after the French one which normally waves you on. Along with others, we have been searched whilst waiting in the loading lines.

Cheers,

Jock.

May 9, 2011
Cheshire / Vale De Parra
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55
Exp
Since 2011
Was at Wissant Tuesday, the trees on the road side all been cut right back, passing traffic seemed louder
Buses started at 6am sat with engine running for a while
But still handy for tunnel as only 15 mins away

Yorkshirefreckles

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F
Exp
Forever
Also there's Le Grand Fort Phillippe which is in Gravelines, at the opposite side of the town. Just a car park really but with MH spaces market out. It can get full later in the day, but a nice place to spend your last few hours in France and only a few minutes from the ferry terminals/shuttle port.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
You know that Ladies always say things opposite to what they mean!! She really was in LOVE with you :love:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back