Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Hi Folks,

We will be arriving late from tunnel crossing. No way am I staying on the aire at Le Plage again. Last time I got into a row with a 300lb German witch, whose English repertoire was based on seriously foul language. Wifey is not keen on the parking at Cite Europe (security issues). Was reading about the aire at Wissant, but looks a trot from the terminal. Can I have your comments and suggestions please?

Cheers,

Keith :cool:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We usually stay at Gravelines aire - 20 minutes or so east.

Had a unsettling experience at Calais with a few car loads of teenagers late one night at the marina parking area.

Would never stay at Calais again.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Gravelines(y) I know it's the wrong way but nothing to touch it for us, always our first and last stop when we go over, but cite europe is quite safe , security on all night and only five minutes drive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We usually stay at Gravelines aire - 20 minutes or so east.

Had a unsettling experience at Calais with a few car loads of teenagers late one night at the marina parking area.

Would never stay at Calais again.
Cross posted there, but gravelines is like a holiday in itself for us , daft as it sounds one of my favourite places in France.

OP
OP
Pikeman
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Because her towel is still in her spot :D:rolleyes:
Sounds ironic, but that was the basis of the row. She thought the space I was pulling into should be hers - even though she was already parked up. She threw a major wobbler!! Then she drove off at 11:00pm shouting F****** English dog. Charming lady, full of the motorhome spirit!!

OP
OP
Pikeman
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
We stayed at Citi Europe and perfectly safe with regular security drive past.

Kath

Thanks Kath, think Im gonna persuade wife to go for Cite Europe, so easy for breakfast and shopping in the morning.

Cheers,

Keith(y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I never realised Frau Merkel had a motorhome.

In Calais there's also the Bassin Ouest MH parking area just off the Boulevard de la Resistance (50.960438, 1.844408) - we've never had any bother there.

The Gravelines aire can get busy at weekends, depending on time of year obviously.

Wissant is 30 minutes down the road from Calais Port - if you're satnavving you'll probably be taken down the D244 for part of the trip, which is a country road but it's not hard to manage.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I was in Calais 10 days ago and loads of gangs of lads wandering about. Looked a bit scary and was unnerving.

I couldn't find anywhere that looked safe to overnight so drove back to Citi Europe. About 15 campers so safety in numbers :)

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We usually stay at cite de Europe, plenty of security around, just keep your van locked.
Good for shopping in shopping centre, and great Chinese restaurant downstairs

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Depends which way you are going in the morning. Bergues aire is great if heading east/ belgium / lux / germany, an easy drive 40 minutes from calais. No thrills, no Ehu but lots of space with 5 minutes pleasant walk into attractive town or Leclerc down road for supplies

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Just managed the maths,(Had to take my shoes off and guess some),she weighed in at 21 and a bit stone....". Do you think she may be there in late March ?".......
Tea Bag.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Parking at Wissant is free (but no services) and generally full, especially if you arrive after dark. But, the village is a short walk away, there are a couple of great restaurants there and a really good boulangerie.
A few minutes outside Wissant are a 3 sites belonging to a local farm and overlooking the channel. Very quiet and the bread van arrives around 0930!
See HERE GPS co-ordinates for the 3 sites are in the link
We use "La Fleur des Champs" almost everytime we get to Calais late.
Allan

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We've stayed Wissant couple of times now. Not much there so it's quiet and free! Also in right direction for us. We like Gravelines too but at weekends it's hit and miss.

Sorry but personally wouldn't touch Cities Europe with a bargepole. Too many undesirables around despite police station overlooking it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We've stayed Wissant couple of times now. Not much there so it's quiet and free! Also in right direction for us. We like Gravelines too but at weekends it's hit and miss.

Sorry but personally wouldn't touch Cities Europe with a bargepole. Too many undesirables around despite police station overlooking it.
We stayed at cite Europe before xmas , never saw a soul only the security bloke.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We stayed at Citi Europe and perfectly safe with regular security drive past.

Kath

I agree..with the proviso you check under van and behind bike rack before moving on in the morning!

a friend picked up two unofficial hitchhikers, only discovered at eurotunnel gas check

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Was at Cité Europe on 6th Jan, no probs, pint in the Black Bull pub, free wifi in Carrefour, and decent food in the food hall, not bothered by anyone and felt perfectly safe, not exactly sure what some people want in a night halt!

M

Madwife

Deleted User
I agree..with the proviso you check under van and behind bike rack before moving on in the morning!

a friend picked up two unofficial hitchhikers, only discovered at eurotunnel gas check

As the OP is on their way to Europe any hitch hikers would find themselves further from the UK :) Plus we don't have a bike rack! Joking aside we are both very security conscious and found Citi Europe ok and as others have said its handy for the shops for stocking up for the trip. It's very well lit and as only a few mins from the Eurotunnel terminal. We started off the next day relaxed and ready for the holidays.

Kath

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Pikeman doesn't say how late is late. We've got in a bit of a routine of Cite Europe if we travel by night. (Set off at 10:00pm, easy round the M25, train about 2:00am, head down within 15 minutes of arriving in France and easy access to the motorways first thin in the morning.) We've never had any problems when staying there.
If we travel during the day -and we're going in that direction- then somewhere like Le Crotoy is only about an hour away.
Like some others we use Gravelines on our way home, but often arrive in plenty of time to enjoy the town and the walks. It's one of our favourite aires.
We found Wissant fair but the lack of disposal facilities put us off, especially before our return home (what's done in France stays in France).
The Plage at Calais was just too noisy, there's too much going on there.
Lots of choices, depends what you're after.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I never realised Frau Merkel had a motorhome.

In Calais there's also the Bassin Ouest MH parking area just off the Boulevard de la Resistance (50.960438, 1.844408) - we've never had any bother there.

The Gravelines aire can get busy at weekends, depending on time of year obviously.

Wissant is 30 minutes down the road from Calais Port - if you're satnavving you'll probably be taken down the D244 for part of the trip, which is a country road but it's not hard to manage.

The Basin Ouest site is where we had the car loads of "herberts" arrive around midnight (n)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back