Antony bleasdale

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Morecambe
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
begining our planning and my partner is worried about returning from calais, any one had trouble there or is it better to travel back from Dunkirk, will be in July sometime

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
To be honest the difference is so minimal it doesn't make too much difference. We usually stay at Gravelines the night before then travel the 10-15 mins in either direction (depending which we need).

Wyn

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Loads on here ,us included, have used the tunnel with no problems, but now they are moving the camp to Dunkirk I would say it's even more in favour of Calais.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
To be honest the difference is so minimal it doesn't make too much difference. We usually stay at Gravelines the night before then travel the 10-15 mins in either direction (depending which we need).

Wyn
Another vote for gravelines (y)(y)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Loads on here ,us included, have used the tunnel with no problems, but now they are moving the camp to Dunkirk I would say it's even more in favour of Calais.
I believe that is a second camp. Been there for some time apperently.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We use the tunnel and stay the night before and after crossing at Boulogne or Gravelines depending on which way we are heading.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

They aren't , it is a second one that has been their a while & is at least 5kms on past the port & behind where they stack lorries . Whereas ....they are continuing to install 1500 40' insulated shipping containers all built as accommodation at the slum in Calais.:)

I believe that is a second camp. Been there for some time apperently.
Yes quite right although it has grown recently much to the horror of the locals :mad:of Grand-Synthe.

I'd always choose Dunkirk over Calais.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Arrived Calais on 28th December, and stayed overnight at City Europe. Saw loads of police but not one Migrant. The Jungle is bigger than the last time we saw it so they must be about. However police presence has increased and security fencing is in place along side motorway.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
zeebrugge - hull for all my return crossings this year, not a great difference in cost once you've taken the fuel into consideration. And a nice crossing and easy drive home, otherwise i'd use Dunkirk, less queuing than calais.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I would only say travel during day light hours, returned on 3 Jan and never saw an immigrant

Joe

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
zeebrugge - hull for all my return crossings this year, not a great difference in cost once you've taken the fuel into consideration. And a nice crossing and easy drive home, otherwise i'd use Dunkirk, less queuing than calais.
I use both, (Calais / Dunkerque) depending where moving on to. However, I'm a bit puzzled by your comment on less queuing than Calais. Can you clarify that please.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I have never had any trouble at Calais, always a first time though :rolleyes: May I ask a question of a similar nature without wishing to hijack this thread.
Hopefully travelling in May and I usually pull into the sand dunes at Sangatte early morning after a night time crossing as there are always a few vans there.
Does anyone know if the French Navy have requisitioned the area as was the talk and do people still consider it safe, or not, thanks. (y)

Norman.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
We have booked Newhaven - Dieppe for our trip this year. After the unsertainty of Dover - Calais for the past couples of years and the annual problems of the M25 and M20 we have decided to take the more scenic route down through the South Downs and the longer 4 hour crossing. We use to travel from Portsmouth and really enjoyed the time spent on the ferry. This time we will be heading east into Germany so Dieppe is a compromise and at £168 return I thought it was reasonable.

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Went over to Calais and back on Saturday, to get the odd bottle. Did not see one migrant, but the extra security was noticeable. Someone is making a fantastic trade on razor wire. Only downside was the time it took to get through border controls - quiet period 1 hour 20 mins.

Keith :cool:

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
I have never had any trouble at Calais, always a first time though :rolleyes: May I ask a question of a similar nature without wishing to hijack this thread.
Hopefully travelling in May and I usually pull into the sand dunes at Sangatte early morning after a night time crossing as there are always a few vans there.
Does anyone know if the French Navy have requisitioned the area as was the talk and do people still consider it safe, or not, thanks. (y)

Norman.

Norman,

If you mean here... 50.95159 1.77156 then unfortunately they stopped overnighting there early last year.
There are still a few other spots a bit further down the road though.

Pete

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
pjay,

Thanks for the information, pity because that was a nice place to relax after the drive. I am taking two of my sisters for the first time and I would prefer to avoid shall we say, problems.
Again, thank you (y)

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
I use both, (Calais / Dunkerque) depending where moving on to. However, I'm a bit puzzled by your comment on less queuing than Calais. Can you clarify that please.
i've always had long queues getting on to calais dock during the summer, never had a problem getting in to dunkirk,, probably because it was lunch time on saturdays.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back