Calais - Dover ferry crossing - Any problems?

Discussion in 'France' started by bryandh, Jun 12, 2016.

1. bryandh

bryandh Funster

Heading north for planned crossing to Dover on Monday. Have not heard of any recent problems regarding those hoping for unofficial " lift" across the water to the UK. Anybody used Calais - Dover recently, we intend arriving in time to drive directly to ferry, no stopover planned.
    Thanks in advance.

Bryan.

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Not heard any issues. The immigrant camp is still active but all been quiet on the news..
    Safe trip....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The ferries going to the UK after the 23rd will be very full - of all the ex-pats reluctantly returning. :)

• Funny Funny x 5
  4. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Bryan, we didn't have a problem when last minute shopping, nor when making our way to the Tunnel in Calais on Friday 3rd June. (y)

Have a good crossing,

Jock. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Lofty1

Lofty1 Funster

Apart from security being a bit tighter ie they are looking in vans for illegals now and both french and british are checking passports no problems

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. bryandh

bryandh Funster

For reasons too complicated to record here, we ended up driving hard for Calais on, Sunday night (12 June) in an attempt to catch the 0240 ferry to Dover.

What follows is my comment lifted from my FB entry that night, which is posted as a warning to others..... The immigrant problem at Calais continues, be alert guys, I wasn't and almost paid the penalty.

Just been "ambushed" at approaches to Calais Car Ferry Port. Gang of immigrants dragged trees across road to block us, rammed trees unable to fully stop in time but no damage. Gendarmes arrived very quickly for which we are very grateful as it was looking nasty for a moment. Served to make an "outie" of me for June 23, robbery was their clear motive..... Keep the bastards out !!!!

Bryan ( and Anna)

7. Clarky

Clarky Funster

We came back through the tunnel last Wednesday.
    Spent the previous night at Gravellines, then went to Cite Europe for some last minute supplies on Wednesday morning.
    We had also spent the night at Cite Europe on the way out a month before.
    No sight of anyone who looked remotely like an immigrant at any time. Apart from a very quick passport check there was no other check on the van or us.

Richard.

8. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

It all seems very odd to me that up until a a couple of weeks ago the news was full of reports of illegal immigrants and those wishing to sneak into Britain. Suddenly no news at all. Have they all gone home, or do you think there could be some sort of conspiracy from the powers that be controlling what you see on the news.

9. Late Starting

Late Starting Funster

They have all gone to the Football to learn the thuggery they will need in UK to survive.
    After we get put out of the game they will come here with hoards of disgruntled so called fans.
    l myself do not do football.

10. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    And how exactly will voting 'out' of the EU stop these none EU citizens from attempting to get to the UK. If they were citizens of an EU member state they would already be here.

BTW the Daily Fail is reporting that there has been some disruption to Ferry services today dueto the General strike in France.

• Like Like x 2
  11. bryandh

bryandh Funster

Didn't say it would in any way alter the status quo and I think you know that, but it did give me some small satisfaction making/writing/posting the comment.

Bryan

• Like Like x 1
  12. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

A lot of them seem to be moving down to Dieppe.

Joe

13. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

An interesting post. Do you think the UK Government has this level of control over UK media and do you think UK media would take their advice not to publish news that was in the national interest. IMO our media take no notice of Government advice what-so-ever.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Well of course that is your prerogative to think that. I on the other hand think differently.