Calais Dangers (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Those who find it fashionable or funny to denigrate readers of the Daily Mail may like to consider why it is consistently the biggest selling newspaper in the UK.

Just because it appears in the Mail does not necessarily make it untrue.

Why do any tabloids sell any copies at all?

Because they print things appeal to the inherent prejudices of the masses first and foremost with accuracy coming a long way down the list of priorities.

Of course something appearing in the Mail, or any other tabloid, isn't automatically untrue but when it's a story about an emotive subject it will inevitably be worded in order to stir up as much extra hysteria as it can.

Take the example in this thread: "Unidentified people damage two cars in mid-France" is a pretty boring headline. "Migrants attack family cars in Calais" is far more exciting, even if they don't know who it actually was and the location they printed is nowhere near Calais. The type of people who get excited by such a headline won't generally be interested in the boring details which is how the hacks get away with it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Same story or not they've used the same pictures of the same car which makes it lazy journalism at best and for me is enough to cast significant doubt on the rest of the story.

Telegraph report, perhaps you missed it..

Riot police fired tear gas to end repeated clashes on Tuesday among hundreds of migrants in Calais who launched their second attempt in two days to storm lorries bound for Britain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...alais-migrants-in-pictures.html?frame=3080803

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Telegraph report, perhaps you missed it..

Riot police fired tear gas to end repeated clashes on Tuesday among hundreds of migrants in Calais who launched their second attempt in two days to storm lorries bound for Britain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...alais-migrants-in-pictures.html?frame=3080803

I was referring to the Express story you originally linked to. (y)

The Telegraph story isn't much better. It isn't even a story - just a set of images. We all know there have been issues in Calais before, that's indisputable. There's nothing in these pictures though to show that they are new. For all any of us know they could be a year or more old.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Why didn't these strong fit young men direct their energy and anger toward ISIS ?? The place is flooded with weapons they could have got hold of !!!!!!
It seems that the original Syrian refugees are now augmented by half of the middle and far Eastern country's dissatisfied and money seeking inhabitants, who are latching onto the idea of moving to Europe and are taking full advantage of the chaos to slip in with the rest.
SO, not only are we faced with large chunk from Europe's five hundred million population wanting to come here AND WHO ARE ENTITLED TO ((unless we Brexit the EU)) we will soon have the rest as well !! A very worrying prospect !!
And if they get away with committing acts of violence to get here, why would they change their "modus operandi" when / if they succeed !?!?!?
Shoot them ?? NO !! But DO filter them and positive vet them and do what Australia has been doing for decades and take those with a trade / skill and who will CONTRIBUTE to our country, not weaken it !!
Mitch.
PS. I have my tin hat on ready for the flack from posting this...

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Why didn't these strong fit young men direct their energy and anger toward ISIS ?? The place is flooded with weapons they could have got hold of !!!!!!
It seems that the original Syrian refugees are now augmented by half of the middle and far Eastern country's dissatisfied and money seeking inhabitants, who are latching onto the idea of moving to Europe and are taking full advantage of the chaos to slip in with the rest.
SO, not only are we faced with large chunk from Europe's five hundred million population wanting to come here AND WHO ARE ENTITLED TO ((unless we Brexit the EU)) we will soon have the rest as well !! A very worrying prospect !!
And if they get away with committing acts of violence to get here, why would they change their "modus operandi" when / if they succeed !?!?!?
Shoot them ?? NO !! But DO filter them and positive vet them and do what Australia has been doing for decades and take those with a trade / skill and who will CONTRIBUTE to our country, not weaken it !!
Mitch.

I doubt you will need a tin hat, I think you have it about right.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Why didn't these strong fit young men direct their energy and anger toward ISIS ??

I doubt you will need a tin hat, I think you have it about right.

I generally agree, but with the massive exception to the young men staying to fight

They may well be young and fit, but how on earth do you think they can realistically fight against ISIS, when the combined armed forces of the rest of the world can't sort them out

This is a huge problem for the world to sort out, I don't have the answers either BTW, I am not even sure there is one

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Fair point David.
I think the reason the powers that be can't sort it is because we don't ignore the "human shield" that ISIS are always careful to surround themselves with.
Look at their HQ in Racca for example.
Its ok for Putin, he just goes ahead regardless ( and he is helping hit opposition to the Syrian gaffer anyway.)
But we all have to play by the rules (sadly)
Mitch.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
These '' migrants '' should be made to claim asylum in France or be forcibly repatriated.

If you are a genuine refugee I dare say you wouldn't be cherry picking your destination of choice, you'd be happy to be in France - yet it seems not.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So you would be in favour of either French or British army troops being ordered to shoot people without trial. Summery execution by government. Is that before they do something or whilst they are doing it or after. Does it include those standing watching and not taking part. I expect The soldiers you would have commit murder would probably not feel very happy with the suggestion.

I do not support in any way the lawless activity of illegal migrants bent on getting their own way. But to blithely suggest shooting a few is beyond the pale.
If they damaged my vehicle /inconvenienced me/wandered about illegally in the road inhibiting my progress then I have no problem with dispensing with them the same as I would a jay walker in the UK. (y)

Same story or not they've used the same pictures of the same car which makes it lazy journalism at best and for me is enough to cast significant doubt on the rest of the story.
No ,there are 2 stories in that article. The first aboutthe nightly riots & the second about the attack on the 2 cars.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
"NIGHT OF TERROR: Calais migrant thugs attack car and SET FIRE to road to stop truckers"

here is a picture of a Calais migrant thug, strikes terror in my heart:

View attachment 101392
If this child ever gets to the UK it should be take into care immediately. As its parents are clearly guilty of child abuse by dragging it through the migrant route without claiming asylum at the first safe country in Europe and leaving it in the jungle. The parents should be prosecuted and jailed.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
If they damaged my vehicle /inconvenienced me/wandered about illegally in the road inhibiting my progress then I have no problem with dispensing with them the same as I would a jay walker in the UK. (y)

No ,there are 2 stories in that article. The first aboutthe nightly riots & the second about the attack on the 2 cars.

Presumably you would not object to being "dispensed with" should you yourself damage a vehicle /inconvenienced someone/wander about illegally in the road inhibiting someones progress.

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Crossed Calais to Dover 06:10 Saturday 9th. We waited at L'Epitre (lots of police and customs patrols driving around) until about 16:30 on Friday then drove down the motorway into the free parking near the booking terminal. We saw some people on the bulldozed area of the Jungle. They looked like they were playing football. The Police were on the motorway watching them.

We had absolutely no problems and spent a quiet night parked up, until we went through passport control at 05:00 on Saturday morning. The road in was absolutely clear and there was no build up as we went through.

We noticed that there seemed to be increased security at the Passport booths with vehicles being inspected (late afternoon) before moving on to the ferry book-in until darkness fell. When we went through we simply showed our passports and drove to the Ferry book-in unchecked. We then went onto the parking lane again unchecked.

One thing we did notice was the very large number of minibuses arriving with about 8 passengers and empty flatbed trailers, going through the bus check in, that were crossing to the UK. As we were going on board the minibus in front of us had two trailers one on top of the other. We seemed to be the only English speakers crossing on that ferry.

We drove straight off into Dover.

It would appear that there are still wide open borders.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
When we got off the Bilbao ferry in Portsmouth last week, Border control asked us to check the bathroom and cupboards for stowaways.

A chap told me the latest lark was for the immigrants to sneak on the ferry and during the crossing enter motorhomes via the roof skylight and then hide until through border control at which point they scare the motorhomers shitless by suddenly appearing.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Crossed Calais to Dover 06:10 Saturday 9th. We waited at L'Epitre (lots of police and customs patrols driving around) until about 16:30 on Friday then drove down the motorway into the free parking near the booking terminal. We saw some people on the bulldozed area of the Jungle. They looked like they were playing football. The Police were on the motorway watching them.

We had absolutely no problems and spent a quiet night parked up, until we went through passport control at 05:00 on Saturday morning. The road in was absolutely clear and there was no build up as we went through.

We noticed that there seemed to be increased security at the Passport booths with vehicles being inspected (late afternoon) before moving on to the ferry book-in until darkness fell. When we went through we simply showed our passports and drove to the Ferry book-in unchecked. We then went onto the parking lane again unchecked.

One thing we did notice was the very large number of minibuses arriving with about 8 passengers and empty flatbed trailers, going through the bus check in, that were crossing to the UK. As we were going on board the minibus in front of us had two trailers one on top of the other. We seemed to be the only English speakers crossing on that ferry.

We drove straight off into Dover.

It would appear that there are still wide open borders.
Clearly the flatbeds are for the loot!
If anyone goes on the Tallin/Helsinki ferry route watch out for the Estonian 'day trippers'....... A nice day out nicking in Helsinki and back for tea with the swag, all unchecked courtesy of Schengen.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Those who find it fashionable or funny to denigrate readers of the Daily Mail may like to consider why it is consistently the biggest selling newspaper in the UK.

Just because it appears in the Mail does not necessarily make it untrue.

And no, I am not a Mail reader myself. Just someone who doesn't like to see such stories dismissed, out of hand, simply because of where it appears. Such semi-automatic responses remind me of the time when any reference to immigration was greeted by cries of racism. Look where that has got us now.
Thought THE SUN was the biggest selling paper,,,i am sure they said so,,,must be TRUE,,,Unless of course THE MAIL or EXPRESS have said the same,,if so that must be TRUE,,,I am very confused,,,They must all sell the same amount obviously ,,,,,,BUSBY,,,,:):):)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
When we got off the Bilbao ferry in Portsmouth last week, Border control asked us to check the bathroom and cupboards for stowaways.

A chap told me the latest lark was for the immigrants to sneak on the ferry and during the crossing enter motorhomes via the roof skylight and then hide until through border control at which point they scare the motorhomers shitless by suddenly appearing.

How would they open sky light without breaking it? and if they did you would hear the wind rush as you drove off,,,,Same tale as gassing,,,BUSBY.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
How would they open sky light without breaking it? and if they did you would hear the wind rush as you drove off,,,,Same tale as gassing,,,BUSBY.

Just what the border agency guy said, I wouldn't know if it was true or not.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
So you would be in favour of either French or British army troops being ordered to shoot people without trial. Summery execution by government. Is that before they do something or whilst they are doing it or after. Does it include those standing watching and not taking part. I expect The soldiers you would have commit murder would probably not feel very happy with the suggestion.

I do not support in any way the lawless activity of illegal migrants bent on getting their own way. But to blithely suggest shooting a few is beyond the pale.
Just a few rounds in the knee cap, nothing major!!

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Well I'm sticking with Portsmouth-Cherbourg as that's the obvious port (Poole in winter) for me. Especially good in the summer months with the fast 3 hr crossings. I feel on the ferry the holiday actually starts with a nice meal and a relaxing cruise. did use the chunnel once but that was back in 2012 when there were no probs.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Some real tough Guys appearing on this site,,,i am getting worried,,,BUSBY :):):)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Presumably you would not object to being "dispensed with" should you yourself damage a vehicle /inconvenienced someone/wander about illegally in the road inhibiting someones progress.

Never likely to happen as I am too considerate about others to the extent that I'd inconvenience myself rather than anyone else & so why I have a hatred of people taking the ****. & yes at the moment I'd volunteer for being dispensed with .:)

Mine has always been checked by the French at Dunkirk. They insist on doing it themselves & will only allow access to the vehicle from outside using the habitation door; which caused a serious problem the first year I went to the Uk as I don't use it when travelling & it is always deadlocked top & bottom on the inside & so is unable to be unlocked from outside. After we sorted it out first time , since then when I get to the port & before checking in I take the deadlocks off so we can keep them happy & unlock it from outside.& ye it is only the shower/toilet that they are interested in.

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
The secret to stopping the undesirables stowing away in the toilet compartment is to make sure you have the right meal before the crossing - ideally double baked beans on toast for the starter, followed by the hottest Vindaloo you can buy and a nice, steaming chocolate fudge cake for desserts. All washed down with a few glasses of the gassy stuff. Then you could be the first motorhome that the undesirables actually flee from......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back