Calais - Cote d' Azur via eastern France

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by mumphrey, Aug 21, 2008.

1. mumphrey

mumphrey Deleted User

We are going to the Cote d'Azur via the eastern side of France on a 4 week holiday. Does anyone have any suggestions for a route, stopovers or interesting places to stay. We prefer to stay off the toll roads if possible only using them to bypass cities. For all those who know 'Yoolie' you'll know me, its Marion with my very own Username :BigGrin:

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Hi Marion, I see you have branched out:Laughing: cant help with a route myself but it wont be long before one of the more seasoned travellers answers you.
    Why not send Jim out on his bike to do a dry run:Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Geo
    ps Ill give you a thank you, cos you aint got one yet

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  3. thefman

thefman Read Only Funster

hi it depends how long you want to take to get down there. i like to take the reims route rather than round Paris i think last time our first stop was chalons en champagne then beaune then Avignon and then a steady drive to the coast.

mark

4. sostas

sostas Read Only Funster

Route to Cóte Azur

Hi Mumphrey,
    We generally use N roads through France but just in case you don't know the A25 and A75 are free motorways. Have to pay to cross the Millau Bridge of course. Have a good trip. :Smile:
    Sostas

5. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

My Tom Tom last year got me down to Bordeaux without a single toll road, without it the toll road are like a strong magnet to me navigating:Angry::RollEyes:

PS:- Geo love the Jim bit as sure he's there right now on his bike waiting for a challenge like this. After all what can you do on a French campsite all day?:Wink:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  6. walburga

walburga Funster

7. artc

artc Read Only Funster

east route

I did this journey twice a year for 10 years, depends where on the SOF you intend to go, i always went to Grimaud(i had a place there) and i always went down to Lyon then over the top to Grenoble then down to Sisteron & Brignole, the route is fantastic, takes a bit longer but if you have the time well worth it, or if your'e on a schedule then it's got to be Rheims, Chalon, Dijon,Valence, Avignon, but the problem with this route is you will have to use toll roads to certain extent, as running down the Rhone valley is very time consuming, but a lot of people make the mistake of trying to rush down, the route down is nice and some very interesting places to stop at, but there again half the fun is planning a route, use the toll roads to go round main towns and cities, will save you lots of time.

8. mumphrey

mumphrey Deleted User

Thankyou

Thanks to all for your suggestions, I will check all of them out on the map. it looks likely we will take the Reims, Dijon, Lyon route. It doesn't matter how long it takes.

Geo - Good thinking on your part, at least I would get a couple of days to myself if I send Jim out to recce first, and then I would get the pleasure of telling him he got it all wrong :Rofl1:

Walburga - We are leaving it a bit late for planning (due to Doctors and hospital appts) but will let you know our plans as soon as we finalise them.

Again thanks to all for replies.

Mumphrey (Marion):thumb:

9. yoolie

yoolie

Jolly good fellow

Geo, what a cracking idea. Fancy beeing pillion?
    Jim