Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Just got back from France via Dieppe Newhaven on the 6pm ferry yesterday. Jam packed - full of lorries and French and Italian cycling clubs! 2hrs in the queue with a very hot sun. Three ferries a day now in the summer. Good alternative if Calais route in trouble. . When eventually we got on board the air conditioning was on full blast - nearly got a chill!!. Back in the hold to collect the van - still boiling down there - all our chocolates had melted! :rolleyes: The Channel for the crossing was like a mill pond but we were rolling about with the full load on the 4 hr crossing .:sick: At our 'Border Control' on arrival, you guest it - we had to wait for the cyclist to be checked out one at a time :mad:

Mar 17, 2014
Redditch England
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
After waiting in Calais for three days(no problem) I booked on DFDS at Dunkirk, and was on the boat 8.00 a.m. Thursday. Amazingly empty ferry, despite the number of people still stuck in Calais.
My problem was getting home from Dover! Our police etc in their wisdom had used a big chunk of the Southbound M20 as a lorry park, and then a shortish chunk of the North bound M20 too!
The A20 was pretty well stationary and gridlocked, this was the only real diversion route.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Our police etc in their wisdom had used a big chunk of the Southbound M20 as a lorry park, and then a shortish chunk of the North bound M20 too!
The A20 was pretty well stationary and gridlocked, this was the only real diversion route.

That's operation stack and it's common down here whenever there's a problem with the ferries - part of the problem is that no-one will make a decision about creating an HGV parking area because of all the NIMBYs - the MP's & councillors are probably too worried about the votes they'll lose.

Mar 17, 2014
Redditch England
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm truly sorry for the locals around that part of the M20. The total confusion caused by North and Southwards traffic blocking up the roads must be hell to live with!

Jaytee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2014
Near Filey North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcombe
Exp
Only a year but camping and Caravanning for 50 years.
We came back Thursday on the Chunnel, no probs French side but then got gridlocked on the A20. Deep joy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Got Chunnel Today, no probs apart from half an hour wait at Folkstone, did get searched for explosives though..... I blame Maroc!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back