Calais -Calpe with a trailer

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by TravelsRus, Apr 3, 2014.

1. TravelsRus

TravelsRus Funster

We are thinking of getting a trailer to tow a small car on the back of our Rapido & I know we can (but shouldn't) use the larger aires through France but was wondering if any one had any suggestions for a route thru Spain using aires or campsites which would accommodate both Rapido & trailer.

The thinking on getting is trailer is why leave the car at home for upto 3-4 months at a time.

Looking at winter travel -early October returning late December

Any advice most welcome

Chris

2. LARRY99

LARRY99 Funster Life Member

Pm old mo, he,s just done all that , perhaps he can help.
    :thumb:

3. TravelsRus

TravelsRus Funster

Just tried to pm 'old mo' but user name not found - have you any more details

Cheers

Chris

4. LARRY99

LARRY99 Funster Life Member

Go to the bottom of the page. Online users and click on his name. Then pm him
    :thumb:

5. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

No need to PM me... I`m here.. :Wink:

Afraid I cant help much on the aires side of things.... as all the aires we tried were closed or had road works, stopping us getting there.... (Makes sense really doing them out of season :thumb:)...

We did get on the aire at Calais no problems, and the ones we did try we could easily have got on... had they been open or accessible...

other than a couple of nights wilding.... we stay at camp sites due to our needs of disabled showers....

Word of advise,,, stay off the toll roads as much as possible, unless you want to get there in a hurry... (I believe they charge per axle. (We had 5 :cry:)... they certainly do going on the toll over that new`ish bridge .. "Via duct De millau"... Equivelant of £28 quid... :RollEyes::Sad:

But if you have not gone over,,,, it is worth it the once,,, and don't forget to pull in at the bridge information centre,,, There were a couple of motorhomes that looked if they were parked up for the night...

Perhaps some one can confirm if camping is allowed.... there are no gates to stop you..

Other than that,,, sorry I cant be of more help..

6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

7. TravelsRus

TravelsRus Funster

Hi old-mo Thanks fir your reply. We've stayed at Millau before but at the aire in the town which I think has now moved - it's really the campsites in Spain which can accommodate a trailer I'm interested in.

If you could provide any info of stopovers en route to Calpe it would be much appreciated.

We are actually booked on Calpemar for 60 odds nights but friends of ours are staying on the aire at Calpe

Chris.

8. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Why shouldn`t you use the aires with a trailer?

We are planning a trip at the end of the month towing a trailer with a scooter.

9. TravelsRus

TravelsRus Funster

I think a scooter trailer is ok but I know the French (& others) aren't happy if a motorhome turns up with a car trailer & takes up a couple of spaces. To be honest I agree as we've turned up at aires & not been able to get on because a motorhome, trailer & car have taken up 3 spaces.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that motorhomes with trailers on aires aren't allowed but I can't recall where. If anyone can offer any more on this subject please do.

Chris

10. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

PM... sent Chris... :thumb:

11. happypre65

happypre65 Funster

Calpe with a trailer

Hi,We have been towing a car trailer for many years now, and we stay on aires and campsites never had a problem,Parc-Verger and Le-Comier can take the trailer easy.Le-Mans is another campsite with no problem,Zaragosa also,depends which way you go,regards H.:BigGrin:

12. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

The aire at Marboue is good for trailers with an area with very long slots so it can stay coupled. It is on the N10 past Chartre so a good days drive from Dover on the minimum toll route to Spain via Bairitz.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  13. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi, we towed a car on a trailer, and never had any problems on aires, as you know some a bigger than others, some are more popular than others, if you can get in great if not carry on to the next one.:thumb:

The only time we had problems was having a car on an a frame, when they came and collected the money, we had to park the car out on the road, being told its only for campingcars. :BigGrin:

On the way down this time, we stayed on a aire, and we had our caravan with us ! :Eek!:
    It was a free aire, and we never slept in it. :Wink::Rofl1: Bob.

14. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

As Happypre65 said, you will have no problem here at Parc Verger if you want to stopover for one or more nights. We even have drive-through pitches so that those with trailers do not have to uncouple if only stopping overnight. Obviously, with so much that is attractive and worth seeing around here we hope you may stay longer! And don't forget the Funsters discount!:thumb::thumb:

Bob
    www.parcverger.com