Calais Aires or City de Europe (1 Viewer)

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
Hi all

Going over to France in a couple of weeks and our tunnel is booked for 11pm, so I was thinking of overnighting at the city de Europe aires or one at Calais.

Anyone been to these lately and did you feel safe.

Or can anyone recommend anywhere else within an hours drive.

Cheers Alan

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hi Alan, I always stay at Citi Europe aire (No svs) as feel safe there and can always find space to park whatever time you get in so gives you plenty of options on ferry times or tunnel departures, I always try and get the 21.00 area ferry dfds as seems to be the cheapest and gets in about 23.30 so you get into citi Europe about midnight just in time to bed down for the night and if you want get an early start or you can do a bit of shopping first, Coordinate's for Citi Europe N50.932864, E1.811062 Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We did a late tunnel last month and drove to the Neufchâtel-en-Bray aire. Very nice aire next to a campsite with a macdonalds nearby

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We like crossing at night and we've always stayed still the Cite d'Europe with no problems.
It's only 5 minutes from the train, there's always lots of space and it's easy access to the motorways in the morning. It could also be the first supermarket shop but we tend to be on our way early.

Apr 8, 2008
Snaith
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Nineteen years
We stayed on the Calais marina aire coming back from D Day felt very save quieter then near the ferries plenty of room no facilities that we found and it was seven euros man came round at half passed seven

CarolynandMike

Free Member
Nov 21, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Liberty
Exp
since 2009
Hi all

Going over to France in a couple of weeks and our tunnel is booked for 11pm, so I was thinking of overnighting at the city de Europe aires or one at Calais.

Anyone been to these lately and did you feel safe.

Or can anyone recommend anywhere else within an hours drive.

Cheers Alan
Not stayed at Cite but on our recent trip Aires generally were filling up early so might find there is no space late at night. Have stayed in the past on the Calais Aire and it has been very busy. Cite seems entirely the best option for the tunnel.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Stayed at the Calais Harbour Aire at Easter but wont stay there again as it's too noisy during the night with the ferries coming and going. Would not hesitate to stay at Cite De Europe as it's convenient for the tunnel but our last trip we drove about 20 mins down the road to the Aire at Grand Fort Philippe the other side of the basin from Gravelines. 8 Bays on the quayside.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We use Calais Aire all the time, last time about a month ago never not felt safe.
Great fish n chips from Frites International and love watching the ferries come an go or walking along the front.
Cite Europe is ok but just a big boring concrete car park I'd rather drive 50 miles further than stay there.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We usually stay at Bergues aire which is about 30miles from Calais. A nice town and the aire gets quite busy, but we've always managed to get in. Aire is free but no dump/water, just bins.

sunboy

Free Member
Nov 17, 2013
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since2013
Did some shopping at Citi Europe yesterday. We parked behind Carrefour, next to the Motorhome parking area in the coach park. Came back to motorhome, unpacked wine, etc under the bunks, and my wife went to close the roof lite which we had left open to allow air in for our two dogs and saw a person lying on top of the roof. I climbed the back ladder to tell him to get down but he wouldn't move. Eventually with much persuasion from coach drivers and, eventually, security, he came down. A refugee from the Sudan. We thanked everyone, reversed out and he ran round the back and climbed aboard again! Desperate to get to England. Only trouble was, we were travelling South so he would have ended up at our site near St Omer. Just a funny story to tell the folks back home. I won't stay in Aires anywhere in Northern France, will always do a site.
Enjoy your holiday.

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
We stopped at Wissant on our way back to Calais earlier this year, that's less than an hour away and very pleasant in the town.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Pe
Did some shopping at Citi Europe yesterday. We parked behind Carrefour, next to the Motorhome parking area in the coach park. Came back to motorhome, unpacked wine, etc under the bunks, and my wife went to close the roof lite which we had left open to allow air in for our two dogs and saw a person lying on top of the roof. I climbed the back ladder to tell him to get down but he wouldn't move. Eventually with much persuasion from coach drivers and, eventually, security, he came down. A refugee from the Sudan. We thanked everyone, reversed out and he ran round the back and climbed aboard again! Desperate to get to England. Only trouble was, we were travelling South so he would have ended up at our site near St Omer. Just a funny story to tell the folks back home. I won't stay in Aires anywhere in Northern France, will always do a site.
Enjoy your holiday.

Perhaps it's lucky we don't have a ladder.
I've always thought the aires on the motorway were a bit of a risk from immigrant 'hitch-hikers' and had a theory that that was the reason most of the aires heading towards Calais have been closed for so long. The theory falls flat though because the one nearest the tunnel is open.

OP
OP
AMK

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for all the info, I think I will risk the city de Europe. If I get any hitch hikers they will get a free trip to Annecy.

Cheers Alan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back