Calais Aires or City de Europe

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by amkirman, Jun 29, 2014.

1. amkirman

amkirman Funster

Hi all

Going over to France in a couple of weeks and our tunnel is booked for 11pm, so I was thinking of overnighting at the city de Europe aires or one at Calais.

Anyone been to these lately and did you feel safe.

Or can anyone recommend anywhere else within an hours drive.

Cheers Alan

2. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

Hi Alan, I always stay at Citi Europe aire (No svs) as feel safe there and can always find space to park whatever time you get in so gives you plenty of options on ferry times or tunnel departures, I always try and get the 21.00 area ferry dfds as seems to be the cheapest and gets in about 23.30 so you get into citi Europe about midnight just in time to bed down for the night and if you want get an early start or you can do a bit of shopping first, Coordinate's for Citi Europe N50.932864, E1.811062 Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

3. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We did a late tunnel last month and drove to the Neufchâtel-en-Bray aire. Very nice aire next to a campsite with a macdonalds nearby

4. brynric

brynric Funster

We like crossing at night and we've always stayed still the Cite d'Europe with no problems.
    It's only 5 minutes from the train, there's always lots of space and it's easy access to the motorways in the morning. It could also be the first supermarket shop but we tend to be on our way early.

5. goldwinger

goldwinger Funster

We stayed on the Calais marina aire coming back from D Day felt very save quieter then near the ferries plenty of room no facilities that we found and it was seven euros man came round at half passed seven

6. CarolynandMike

CarolynandMike Read Only Funster

Not stayed at Cite but on our recent trip Aires generally were filling up early so might find there is no space late at night. Have stayed in the past on the Calais Aire and it has been very busy. Cite seems entirely the best option for the tunnel.

7. orridge

orridge Funster

Stayed at the Calais Harbour Aire at Easter but wont stay there again as it's too noisy during the night with the ferries coming and going. Would not hesitate to stay at Cite De Europe as it's convenient for the tunnel but our last trip we drove about 20 mins down the road to the Aire at Grand Fort Philippe the other side of the basin from Gravelines. 8 Bays on the quayside.

8. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

We use Calais Aire all the time, last time about a month ago never not felt safe.
    Great fish n chips from Frites International and love watching the ferries come an go or walking along the front.
    Cite Europe is ok but just a big boring concrete car park I'd rather drive 50 miles further than stay there.

9. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

We usually stay at Bergues aire which is about 30miles from Calais. A nice town and the aire gets quite busy, but we've always managed to get in. Aire is free but no dump/water, just bins.

10. sunboy

sunboy

Did some shopping at Citi Europe yesterday. We parked behind Carrefour, next to the Motorhome parking area in the coach park. Came back to motorhome, unpacked wine, etc under the bunks, and my wife went to close the roof lite which we had left open to allow air in for our two dogs and saw a person lying on top of the roof. I climbed the back ladder to tell him to get down but he wouldn't move. Eventually with much persuasion from coach drivers and, eventually, security, he came down. A refugee from the Sudan. We thanked everyone, reversed out and he ran round the back and climbed aboard again! Desperate to get to England. Only trouble was, we were travelling South so he would have ended up at our site near St Omer. Just a funny story to tell the folks back home. I won't stay in Aires anywhere in Northern France, will always do a site.
    Enjoy your holiday.

11. Biged

Biged Read Only Funster

We stopped at Wissant on our way back to Calais earlier this year, that's less than an hour away and very pleasant in the town.

12. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Pe
    Perhaps it's lucky we don't have a ladder.
    I've always thought the aires on the motorway were a bit of a risk from immigrant 'hitch-hikers' and had a theory that that was the reason most of the aires heading towards Calais have been closed for so long. The theory falls flat though because the one nearest the tunnel is open.

13. chaser

chaser Funster

Always stay at gravelines , first night over, great place.

14. Jazzbow

Jazzbow Read Only Funster

We stayed at Wissant too, but I think it fills up early so may not suit a late arrival.

15. amkirman

amkirman Funster

Thanks for all the info, I think I will risk the city de Europe. If I get any hitch hikers they will get a free trip to Annecy.

Cheers Alan