Calais Aire

Discussion in 'France' started by ShiftZZ, Jun 24, 2015.

1. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Is the aire right on the seafront still open? Relatively safe?

2. the stig

the stig Funster

depends whether your there or not!!! :lips::moon2::lips::moon2::lips:

• Like Like x 4
  3. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Used it all the time without problem. The chip shop is good as well

• Like Like x 1
  4. JJ

JJ Funster

Best chips in mainland Europe...

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  5. ShiftZZ

I have used it in the past, I was aware that they had closed part of it, anyone update on that? How far is the Jungle from it? Only stayig the one night before heading saafff

6. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Can't tell you if it's open still - I seem to remember July being mentioned for closure? The tent city is out of Calais after passing the old Hoverport as you approach junction 2 on the N216

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

Yes indeed.
    The visible "tented" site is only a fraction of it. The wooded area just east of it has many times more people there. The estimate is 4000 people, my 'guesstimate' is many times that.
    I believe that the Calais suitation is destined to become many times worse, and that will be in the next few months before winter sets in proper. There is the potential for an ugly scene to develop and it will inevitably happen if nothing is done about it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ShiftZZ

Thats a fair way from the aire I was intending staying on, should be ok with numbers?

9. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Last time we were on the aire (beginning of May) we only stopped for a couple of hours but didn't see anything untoward and there were plenty of MHs still using it. I think at the moment I'd rather park there than at Cite Europe as we saw quite a lot of immigrants wandering around that area.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

You'll be fine as long as it's still open. It's due to close at any time though.

We used Wissant, 20 mins up the road last time and prefer it apart from the chips at Calais.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Polar bear

Polar bear Funster

Wuss ant is very good with a short walk to village and beach aire can be very busy as its free be aware you cannot fill up with water on the aire no borne we have stayed on the aire twice this year without any problems

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jandc

Jandc Funster

We were ther last night no problem at all and good chips

• Like Like x 2
  13. St piran

St piran Read Only Funster

Talking to a couple of Frenchman yesterday they were saying and I quote "Northern France is finished and Calais house prices will crash if nothing is done"
    Imagine what we would do if £1000s of euros where dropping of our real estate. As the above quoted post.....ugly scenes will start with unrest amounst the Northern French population against the immigrants and government. French and British!!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

We were there last week Dave and there was no sign of any problems ,we tend to have a night there every time we go to France and never seen any trouble .I like watching the fishermen on the long pier ,in ten years never seen anyone catch a fish lol

• Like Like x 2
  15. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

Yup I think that the french will be loosing their patience with us and the migrants

• Like Like x 1
  16. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Is the 'Basin' closing? I know that fairgrounds often take over in the summer and that it is not a good idea to park further out along the 'Basin' as that is an HGV testing ground and is used from about 0700.

• Like Like x 1
  17. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Can't see what reason they have to lose it with us tbh. Only one group of people causing this problem.

18. thefman

thefman Read Only Funster

Cap Blanc nez

• Like Like x 1
  19. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

I watch a lot of political news and numbers still quoted as 3000. The french if they had a mind could do something but dont seem to have the will, as what they say is right, its a problem for the whole of Europe not just the border countries worse affected. a lot of hyperbole being aired now re the threat from this group.. still no evidence of physical attacks from what I have seen let alone ones using knifes.... knife attack seems the latest red top accusations flying around trying to stir it up.

They are there because it works! many get through eventually..I saw one on the M23 only last week. the majority of those lorries could be made a hell of a lot more secure, yes it will mean investment. BUT while the PM continues to see it as a french problem. nothings going to improve! incidentally 10 brits banged up in Calais for aiding and abetting. £2800 the going rate per person....a child was found under a dashboard being smuggled in.....

and what will EU exit do for this situation. nothing that I can see, that cant be done now if the will existed. If they do decide to do something re security and checks getting back in from Calais situation will be even more delayed than the strike has caused! As this desperate sea of humanity ignorant of the risks will just keep coming whether we are in or out.....Sad or what

have never felt the need to stay at port aire just drive in and out....

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  20. ShiftZZ

Right. Sqeeky bottom time. She who must be obayed has kicked out calais and gravlines and wants to head down saarf from calais on way to chablis. Is there an aire say 50 miles saarf of calais. Thoughts.