Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We had a comment on one of the photos on our Flickr Aires saying that the aire in Calais (and the campsite) is closing and being replace with one in the marina area.:cry::cry:
Is anyone aware of this and if so do you know if there is any reference to it on the Calais website? I have looked and can't find any mention of it.:Blush:
Calais won't be the same without the aire on the waterfront:Sad:
Mike and Annie:Sad::cry:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
We had a comment on one of the photos on our Flickr Aires saying that the aire in Calais (and the campsite) is closing and being replace with one in the marina area.:cry::cry:
Is anyone aware of this and if so do you know if there is any reference to it on the Calais website? I have looked and can't find any mention of it.:Blush:

Mike you are quite right, if the Calais aire closes it won't be the same.

A noisy, unlevel, cramped, crowded and expensive aire will disappear and hopefully be replaced by something resembling all the other excellent aire de camping to be found in France.

Norman

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Mike ...we were at the Calais Aire water front last week for about 5 to 6 days....there is nothing posted to say it is closing....and the Aire is still as popular as ever......most of the time it was almost full except for about 3 or 4 places still vacant..some nights...at the moment it is free....(I think it is free from around the middle of November till Easter the following year)

There may be something in planning:Doh: but how would this person know who replied on your flickr ..

While we were at the Calais port Aire... the Calais council workers was concreting height barriers 2.1m and concrete bollards on the water front road in front of the motorhomes to the right of the chippy all Nations...and also topside of the of the three fast food places near the Aire entrance waste bins only allowing cars ...

But as things move very slowly over here in France it may see you out.

If the they closed the camp(I do not use ) and the Aire those few shops on the front.. cafe/ bread / cakes and the restaurants and fast foods will loose a lot of custom, and I for one will most likely not bother going to Calais any more as it the front that is the attraction for me...good lighting, food if you want it, ice creams when you want one and pleasant area to walk, also walk the dog if you have one, fishing in front of you on the pier...it may not suit everybody, I do understand it's not every body's cup of tea and many of the Brits are not to keen on the close proximity of the vans to each....but for us that live in France, it is something you get used to.......so it suits us, and it is not far for a quick weekend.
It is a very popular place for the Brits coming to France and going back home on the ferry, Also it is good spot to pick up free water, empty grey water, and empty the toilette cassette all free ...at the moment they do not have at the marina...if they improve and revamp the marina Aire I would think there would be a charge like most of France is now doing for the borne....

Norman..Mmmmmmm You have been spoilt ...Mel:winky::winky::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Calais

I hope this is wrong as we would not then be within 50 yards on one of the best restaurants in France, Au Cote Du Argent which we always visit on entering and leaving France. When we don't go there is the Fritz du Nations, probably the best chippie in Calais.
The sublime to the menu ordinair.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Well let me know which one it is , or even send me the link , I'll get all the information you need of what's going on in less than a minute ... as simple as a phone call.... oh yes sure ...in french:RollEyes: ... sorry !!!!::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Amicalement

Frankie:winky:

The municipal campsite of Calais is at 100 metres from the seaside and has a magnificent and protected view on the sea and the seaport.
You will find numerous corner shops nearby such as a bakery, a tobacconist’s, a chemist’s, restaurants by the sea.

CAMPING MUNICIPAL DE CALAIS
Avenue Raymond Poincaré
62100 CALAIS
phone : (0033) (0)3.21.97.89.79
Fax : (0033) (0)3.21.34.73.25
Manager : Mr. DARCY Donat 06.79.62.93.22

http://www.calais.fr/article/municipal-campsite

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Well let me know which one it is , or even send me the link , I'll get all the information you need of what's going on in less than a minute ... as simple as a phone call.... oh yes sure ...in french:RollEyes: ... sorry !!!!::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Amicalement

Frankie:winky:

Frankie...if you go into Google maps and enter this coordination 50.966488,1.844193
this will show you the Aire in question

Also if you stay in Google maps at the coordination given above and place the yellow man in street view a close as you can to the Aire... next to the "au Cote D'Argent " restaurant...you will looking straight into the Aire in question...with beach paintings on the old war bunker on the right near the toilettes.

I hope that helps you... Mel

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Picture of the Aire... From their website...

Link Removed

You can just about see Mel in his slot, bag of chips, hankie on his bonce, mushy peas and faggots, :thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Picture of the Aire... From their website...

Link Removed

You can just about see Mel in his slot, bag of chips, hankie on his bonce, mushy peas and faggots, :thumb:

You young Bugger:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:shiffty

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Babies:Eeek:
You ole bugger JJ:ROFLMAO:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Here are the informations I just had from the management.

The campsite has shut since the 27 of October . They do their best to open a new one in 2014.
In the meantime you have 2 aires you can use charge free. The first one has no service and is situated on the same road than the campsite but 200 metres ahead.
The second one is just behind the campsite , there 's an easy access to it . There are signs to guide you to it. This one has all services free of charge. Water stays on all year long. There is no barrier or high limit and you can get in 24/24.

They will stay opened to motorhomes during all the time of the New campsite work.

Hope this helps!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::winky:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Here are the informations I just had from the management.

The campsite has shut since the 27 of October . They do their best to open a new one in 2014.
In the meantime you have 2 aires you can use charge free. The first one has no service and is situated on the same road than the campsite but 200 metres ahead.
The second one is just behind the campsite , there 's an easy access to it . There are signs to guide you to it. This one has all services free of charge. Water stays on all year long. There is no barrier or high limit and you can get in 24/24.

They will stay opened to motorhomes during all the time of the New campsite work.

Hope this helps!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::winky:

Thank's Frankie...it looks like somebody got it all wrong...looking at your dates it may be the campsite that is closing as you have put "They do their best to open a new one in 2014. " which is just over a year ...as I never use the camp site.. that's fine for me and many others:thumb:...
Unless the 2014 date is a misprint and it should say 2013 then that means the campsite is just closed for the winter

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I am not sure it will be at the same place than the older though . But he said if you need more infos nearer the date (end of 2013) then just contact me again !

Frankie:Smile:

Frankie yes it does look like the campsite is closing down....at least till 2014...there has been many bad reports about the campsite...Well done Frankie..that should put Mike's (ojibway) mind at rest. :Doh:

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Mel

Did you get any cod?

Christine can gve you lessons on how to cook it..:winky:

No..Dave.. came away early ...as it was Pi**ing it down....and Chris said she had plenty in the freezer at the moment ...I must not interfere, I must not interfere, I must not interfere..well not in swmbo's freezer:Doh:...:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Thanks Frankie,:thumb:
we will wait and see.
You are right Heyupluv, it's a great place. In spite of the fact quite a lot of people seem to hate it, it's always teeming with British vans. Must be the greasy frites!:ROFLMAO:

We haven't been to the Cote d'Argent, iandsm - often looked in the window.:Blush: We usually opt for the Michelin starred restaurant Chez Annie:winky:
It's amazing what you can do on a two-burner stove ::bigsmile:

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
I agree it would be a shame if the Aire was to close, over the years i have seen it grow from just a few vans , to being so full you can`t get on. What i cant` understand, is why people decide to spend their entire holiday on the aire when there is a whole lot more of Europe to explore.

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
I agree it would be a shame if the Aire was to close, over the years i have seen it grow from just a few vans , to being so full you can`t get on. What i cant` understand, is why people decide to spend their entire holiday on the aire when there is a whole lot more of Europe to explore.

It's either the cost of fuel or they are afraid to drive on the wrong side of the road but still want the 'French' experience which you will certainly get at Calais :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Having said that, we stayed there three consecutive nights this year when we went over for a five day break. :Blush:
Got to Le Touquet and realized the MOT was overdue. :Eeek:
Not wanting to chance driving any further, we headed straight back to Calais and stayed on the aire rather than pay the excessive supplement for changing the booking! It was lovely weather and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves:thumb:
I think that was the time Heyupluv tapped me on the shoulder and said "you're on MHFun aren't you?". How'd he know? 'Coz we got our 'Sacred Turtle' logo on the back of the van:winky:
Mike and Annie

Last edited:
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We stayed at the Hotel

La Sole Meuniere, on Boulevard de la Resistance, and in front of us was a huge car park full of motorhomes, which didn't seem to be paying anything. Not many Brits - is that one of the aires you are talking about?

Catherine

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
La Sole Meuniere, on Boulevard de la Resistance, and in front of us was a huge car park full of motorhomes, which didn't seem to be paying anything. Not many Brits - is that one of the aires you are talking about?

Catherine

No Catherine that is the marina Aire you are on...the other Aire we are talking about is Dig Gaston Berthe on the sea front.....at the moment they are both free....but the one you are on and the sea front pier Aire one, are 7 euros in season..

Mel

Last edited:
OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Well, I think I've got it from the Mare's mouth - or should that be Maire:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bonjour,

Le camping est effectivement fermé et un palais des congrés sera construit à la place. Toutefois, l'aire de camping-car reste ouverte et le sera encore en 2013. Un projet de nouveau camping est à l'étude et le stationnement des camping-cars sera pris en compte.
J'espère avoir répondu à votre attente.

Bien cordialement

Isabelle DHAUSSY
Responsable Pôle Tourisme - Département Dynamique Locale

To sum it up - the campsite is closed and will be replaced by a convention centre. The aire will remain open during 2013. A new campsite is being reviewed and the aire will then be taken into account. :Cool:

Can't say we'll miss the campsite. One of the worst we've come across in France (other than some on the Med):winky:
No doubt we'll bump into some of y'all on the waterfront next year. :Eeek:

Mike and Annie::bigsmile::winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back