Calais Aire closing?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by ojibway, Nov 30, 2012.

1. ojibway

ojibway Funster

We had a comment on one of the photos on our Flickr Aires saying that the aire in Calais (and the campsite) is closing and being replace with one in the marina area.:cry::cry:
    Is anyone aware of this and if so do you know if there is any reference to it on the Calais website? I have looked and can't find any mention of it.:Blush:
    Calais won't be the same without the aire on the waterfront:Sad:
    Mike and Annie:Sad::cry:

2. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Mike you are quite right, if the Calais aire closes it won't be the same.

A noisy, unlevel, cramped, crowded and expensive aire will disappear and hopefully be replaced by something resembling all the other excellent aire de camping to be found in France.

Norman

• Like Like x 9
  3. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Mike ...we were at the Calais Aire water front last week for about 5 to 6 days....there is nothing posted to say it is closing....and the Aire is still as popular as ever......most of the time it was almost full except for about 3 or 4 places still vacant..some nights...at the moment it is free....(I think it is free from around the middle of November till Easter the following year)

There may be something in planning:Doh: but how would this person know who replied on your flickr ..

While we were at the Calais port Aire... the Calais council workers was concreting height barriers 2.1m and concrete bollards on the water front road in front of the motorhomes to the right of the chippy all Nations...and also topside of the of the three fast food places near the Aire entrance waste bins only allowing cars ...

But as things move very slowly over here in France it may see you out.

If the they closed the camp(I do not use ) and the Aire those few shops on the front.. cafe/ bread / cakes and the restaurants and fast foods will loose a lot of custom, and I for one will most likely not bother going to Calais any more as it the front that is the attraction for me...good lighting, food if you want it, ice creams when you want one and pleasant area to walk, also walk the dog if you have one, fishing in front of you on the pier...it may not suit everybody, I do understand it's not every body's cup of tea and many of the Brits are not to keen on the close proximity of the vans to each....but for us that live in France, it is something you get used to.......so it suits us, and it is not far for a quick weekend.
    It is a very popular place for the Brits coming to France and going back home on the ferry, Also it is good spot to pick up free water, empty grey water, and empty the toilette cassette all free ...at the moment they do not have at the marina...if they improve and revamp the marina Aire I would think there would be a charge like most of France is now doing for the borne....

Norman..Mmmmmmm You have been spoilt ...Mel:Wink::Wink::thumb:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  4. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Calais

I hope this is wrong as we would not then be within 50 yards on one of the best restaurants in France, Au Cote Du Argent which we always visit on entering and leaving France. When we don't go there is the Fritz du Nations, probably the best chippie in Calais.
    The sublime to the menu ordinair.

5. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Well let me know which one it is , or even send me the link , I'll get all the information you need of what's going on in less than a minute ... as simple as a phone call.... oh yes sure ...in french:RollEyes: ... sorry !!!!:BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

Amicalement

Frankie:Wink:

• Like Like x 4
  6. ash_dave

ash_dave Read Only Funster

7. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

The municipal campsite of Calais is at 100 metres from the seaside and has a magnificent and protected view on the sea and the seaport.
    You will find numerous corner shops nearby such as a bakery, a tobacconist’s, a chemist’s, restaurants by the sea.

CAMPING MUNICIPAL DE CALAIS
    Avenue Raymond Poincaré
    62100 CALAIS
    phone : (0033) (0)3.21.97.89.79
    Fax : (0033) (0)3.21.34.73.25
    Manager : Mr. DARCY Donat 06.79.62.93.22

http://www.calais.fr/article/municipal-campsite

• Like Like x 2
  8. Heyupluv

Frankie...if you go into Google maps and enter this coordination 50.966488,1.844193
    this will show you the Aire in question

Also if you stay in Google maps at the coordination given above and place the yellow man in street view a close as you can to the Aire... next to the "au Cote D'Argent " restaurant...you will looking straight into the Aire in question...with beach paintings on the old war bunker on the right near the toilettes.

I hope that helps you... Mel

9. ShiftZZ

Picture of the Aire... From their website...

[​IMG]

You can just about see Mel in his slot, bag of chips, hankie on his bonce, mushy peas and faggots, :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  10. yodeli

Will phone as soon as babies will be gone. Can't do it when they sleep nor when they are awake:RollEyes: they are then far too noisy !!!:BigGrin:

11. Heyupluv

You young Bugger:Rofl1::Rofl1:shiffty

12. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Babies:Eeek:
    You ole bugger JJ:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  13. ShiftZZ

[​IMG]

14. yodeli

Here are the informations I just had from the management.

The campsite has shut since the 27 of October . They do their best to open a new one in 2014.
    In the meantime you have 2 aires you can use charge free. The first one has no service and is situated on the same road than the campsite but 200 metres ahead.
    The second one is just behind the campsite , there 's an easy access to it . There are signs to guide you to it. This one has all services free of charge. Water stays on all year long. There is no barrier or high limit and you can get in 24/24.

They will stay opened to motorhomes during all the time of the New campsite work.

Hope this helps!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Wink:

• Like Like x 6
  15. Heyupluv

Thank's Frankie...it looks like somebody got it all wrong...looking at your dates it may be the campsite that is closing as you have put "They do their best to open a new one in 2014. " which is just over a year ...as I never use the camp site.. that's fine for me and many others:thumb:...
    Unless the 2014 date is a misprint and it should say 2013 then that means the campsite is just closed for the winter

• Like Like x 1
  16. yodeli

I am not sure it will be at the same place than the older though . But he said if you need more infos nearer the date (end of 2013) then just contact me again !

Frankie:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  17. ShiftZZ

Funsters win again.... :thumb:

18. Heyupluv

Frankie yes it does look like the campsite is closing down....at least till 2014...there has been many bad reports about the campsite...Well done Frankie..that should put Mike's (ojibway) mind at rest. :Doh:

19. ShiftZZ

Mel

Did you get any cod?

Christine can gve you lessons on how to cook it..:Wink:

20. Heyupluv

No..Dave.. came away early ...as it was Pi**ing it down....and Chris said she had plenty in the freezer at the moment ...I must not interfere, I must not interfere, I must not interfere..well not in swmbo's freezer:Doh:...:Wink::Wink::Rofl1::Rofl1: