Calais again

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by BillyS, Oct 4, 2015.

1. BillyS

BillyS Funster

http://forums.The Dark Side/images/MotorhomeFacts_2014/icons/post_thumbsdown.png Calais today, sat 3/10/15. Not nice.
    This was taken from another site...........

I travelled back home today after a 2 week jaunt over to easternance. Had a lovely 2 weeks and a few days in Paris.

I wasn't prepared for getting into the Ferry Port.

At 0930 I travelled down the main autoroute towards the port with a constant flow of others. My motorhome was loaded with two kids ( 11 weeks and 3.5 yrs old) and my wife. Kayak on the roof, bikes locked on the rear rack.

The traffic started to slow between the last two junctions , just after the old Eastenders Wine and Beer company building.

To my horror I saw my TV SCREEN, Playing the daily news out through my windscreen. A hord of men walking slowly down the ever slowing motorway.

Doors locked. Windows up.

The group at first started trying to get into the horse box in front of me, really viciously trying to break the locks. Some of the group walked past me and centered their attention on an Irish artic, even standing in his way to make him stop. The driver just kept moving slowly in his crawler gear, so the mob decided to pull anything and everything from behind his cab, under his trailer and get his refer doors open.
    At this point, my back door gets pinged, the wife screams, and I have intruders!

I just out my seat, to the back of the van to see a man trying to steal my bottle of coolant (leaking engine! ) .
    I recover my coolant and get back in the van locking the door, at which point I see people running to the rear of my van.....

We try to keep moving but I realise I'm now carrying some extra passengers ( the wife's screams as she looks at them through the heki bubble).

My drivers windows are now being bashed into to get my bottle of drink in the cup holder, and every single person past me is trying the doors, windows, locker hatches.

Slowly work out to drive really slowly but closely to the Irish truck my right hand drive to his left hand drive, until we reach the road block. An orange truck strap was being used to stop everyone on the road and backed up with cones. The group,were allowing cars past, and taking a few seconds to get it ratcheted back up taught. I decided that I was off, so floored it, aimed at the man in the road and his cones and sent them flying.

By now I was LIVID.

At the start of the new fencing stood a group of police officers and a van.

I stopped and told them I had people on the roof. Drive on Monsieur !

So I did, for a hundred metres or so, stopped and now incensed, climbed my roof to remove my stow aways. The first decided my angry rankings were sufficient to jump, the second decided he was still going to try and hide in my kayak!

A slight scuffle and a few punches later, my last visitor was removed, by which point the Police man had arrived and told me to stop hitting him!

A check of the roof box found no more visitors, but they had broken one of the box locks and stolen some securing straps.

The crows near my van where very pleasant chanting " **** you, **** you **** you" repeatedly.

I drive on up the road to where another police was parked and I get waved on, past a few more hundred immigrants walking inside the secure area!

A few people ask in the queue if we are ok, and my 3 year old, still shaken from the experience continues to ask about the bad men.

Get to the port and there is a big queue. Border checks reveal that there are numerous intruders in the port area, that the Chunnel is closed after a late night invasion, and the in coming vessels are UN able to un-load due to the immigrants on the quayside.

It took my the majority of the crossing and a large coffee to calm me down.

I'm 38 and a decent sized lad, enough to think twice about when angry. What would happen to others not as aggressive / impulsive ?

When waiting in the port we queued up behind a German registered caravan. They were sticking their rear wind shut after it had been ripped open curtain torn and 6 people got in. They were panic stricken.

I hear stories about poor this and poor that. The people I encountered were not weak, starving people. They were fit and strong young aggressive men forcing their hands, mob rule style to get into the UK. There were no women or children, just young men, dressed for action.

I work long and hard hours to pay for my family holidays and these actions are not right. There isn't too much damage to my van, but the reputation of Calais had gone to the dogs. I've written to both the ferry company and town council for Calais, and replied to comments on a BBC WEB story about the Eurotunnel, but they don't want to know.

I wanted to share my interesting experience with you guys and remind you to lock up, close up and don't have anything valuable on offer.

My dash cam recorded it, but I left it running and after 10 minutes it wipes itself.

• Like Like x 7
  2. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

I said my piece yesterday. It would be the inaction of the Police that would completely unhinge me .:mad:

• Like Like x 5
  3. lou020

lou020 Funster

And people are running food and clothing banks for these scum,and doing trips out to calais to give it to them.. its time the army was sent in with the guns.
    How they can be allowed to control a main road beggars belief.

it must be awful for the kids to see.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 9
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I can only repeat what I have said in other related posts..

Until the migrant issue is 'sorted' (which won't be any time soon) I won't be using the Dover- Calais / Dover - Dunkirk ferry routes or Tunnel. Had enough of it in July when we went by Le Shuttle.. There are plenty of alternative crossings to Europe...

• Like Like x 3
  5. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

no disrespect to BillyS but I think thats a work of fiction

• Like Like x 7
  6. scotjimland

it's been reported here.. https://uk.news.yahoo.com/migrants-...cross-channel-071413519--finance.html#GkSitRT

migrants also targeted the port in a separate incident on Saturday, attempting to jump on lorries queuing on the approach road to the port, a Reuters photographer on site said.

Police intervened to prevent the group, which a police source put at least 300, from entering the port.

The post on Facts is dated, Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Calais today, sat 3/10/15. Not nice.

7. chaser

chaser Funster

Not belittling this post, but it's not another gassing thread is it, not the one it's happened to but from somewhere else, quite a few went over this last day or two , none of them reported anything similar.
    Edit, sorry I see it's already been mentioned while I was typing

• Like Like x 1
  8. BillyS

BillyS Funster

I only saw this on the other (Dark) side, and decided to post it. Whether it's true, or work of fiction, I can not say.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Sorry but that reads like a cheap fiction story have no intention of being scared by that rubbish.
    We'll be coming through in a couple of days and staying on Calais Aire I will report the truth.
    Been in Croatia 6 weeks and haven't been murdered by immigrants in fact haven't seen any and fully expect to get home unscathed.
    Europeans we talk to on our travels laugh at Brits they can't believe we're so scared of The Bogeymen.

• Like Like x 5
  10. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

Morning Jim,

Im not trying to sugest there wasnt big trouble, becasue there obviosly was, my problem is with the fisrt hand motorhome divers report, BillyS only read it and posted it lets us know it was there, but I have difficaulty beliving the motorhome drivers writings happened to him.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Having crossed a few times this year I have to say we have not had a problem (yes seen the groups of people on the road side and at roundabouts) as many on here have already reported.

Whilst @BillyS posted this fact or fiction I tend to lean towards fiction.

Having said that I do hope it is fiction as would not wish that sort of stress on anyone or their family.

12. chaser

chaser Funster

The first thing that jumps out is why was he in the lorry queue in the first place, why were they trying to steal a bottle of antifreeze and a cup of water(n)

13. chaser

chaser Funster

This was only yesterday, yet he's posted two letters and an email and expected a reply, and he has conveniently let his dash cam delete it's self:rolleyes:(n):(

14. Larby

Larby Funster

I made that journey several times as we had a couple of days around the Calais area before coming home. You can see a Policeman with binoculars at the edge of the jungle and where the double fence starts, about a mile to the docks. There was also another where the junction is just behind me. The migrants would need to travel a mile within the fenced area or enter in a break at the junction for the town/port. I saw many Policemen on every corner/roundabout.
    The migrants are also living in town opposite the lighthouse alongside the lorry depot!
    Also a bit further on in the entrance to the church. I wonder how the people in the houses nearby must feel, the filth and squalor must be a health hazard to all?
    The only ones I saw moving around were sat one morning looking longingly at the ferry heading to England. As OP, all young healthy men, they did not look starved or in poor health.
    I have to say the Police were evident and there were less migrants moving about. I saw the area where the news showed the fence down at the tunnel entrance. I have to say I noted a double fence, CCTV and the removal of any trees or bushes when I was there on 17/18th September
    What can the authorities actually do? shooting or arresting for criminal damage doesn't seem to be one of their options. May I suggest electrify the fence and it is then up to those who wish to risk electrification? Their choice, not barbaric or uncaring? Jungle.jpg Phare.jpg FOUR.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. scotjimland

OK>.. we don't know if the original post on Facts is true or a work of fiction.. or perhaps an embellishment of the facts..

The poster said it happened at

"The traffic started to slow between the last two junctions , just after the old Eastenders Wine and Beer company building. "

not at the ferry terminal.. so vehicles would be 'mixed' .. not segregated into different queues..

What we DO know is that there were attacks on trucks "attempting to jump on lorries queuing on the approach road to the port,"

so, it doesn't matter whether it were lorries or motorhomes.. or both... the illegals were there breaking the law.. and threatening drivers..

This is a report from a year ago.. showing illegals trying to gain access to motorhomes..

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-09-25/motorhomes-targeted-by-calais-migrants/

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world...s-in-france/story-fFFL6eLSF46uvw3nq8kUgK.html

can only repeat.. I won't be using this crossing, ferry or tunnel, until the illegals have been removed from Calais..

• Like Like x 3
  16. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

We crossed Dover/Dunkerque on 6th September, and back again on the 26th, and didn't witness large groups of immigrants or refugees, nor experienced any trouble whatsoever.

They only deviation we made to our trip as a result of the refugee crisis, was to backtrack at Pfronten, rather than risk crossing the Austrian border to Fussen, which Germany had closed the day before.

Regards,

Jock.

17. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

We have being backwards and forwards to France, vie Dover /Calais like yoyo's this year ,always stop the night going and coming home on the front at Calais ,We have never had a problem ,never hardly see any migrants ,There are plenty on the far side at the new camp at the end of the motorway as you approach the docks ,but they have never being a problem to ourselves .But we have not being there when the TV and Press reporters are no doubt encouraging the migrants to give them a story . I am not suggesting there is not a problem but i do think there is a lot of scaremongering going on .Roll on next week for our next trip .lol.

18. Brian_K

Brian_K Read Only Funster

[​IMG]

I'm intrigued - what's the white square matting used for, rattles?

Brian

19. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

It looks like the tactic they use is to slow you down by standing in the road.

I see a solution to this and it involves an accessory mostly found on vans in the 90s!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  20. scotjimland

illegal.. could be re branded 'illegals bars'

• Like Like x 2