LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Please forgive me using the 'c' word in this. My daughter and family are making their first venture into France with their caravan.
Can anyone suggest somewhere they can overnight on the above route? SIL is saying campsite as he's concerned about safety and daughter was surprised when I said I'm 99% sure caravans can't stay on Aires ( I'm now doubting myself)
Many thanks for any suggestions.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Caen to Saint Martin-de-Re is 280 miles, about 5-6 hours drive. If they arrive early in Caen they could do that in a day with time to spare.

They can't use aires - they're not intended for caravans.

On Ile de Re if they're not already sorted for camping I can recommend the municipal inside the battlements at Saint Martin-de-Re (not bursting with entertainment but it's tidy and it does the job - easy walk into town), and Camping Amis de la Plage at Bois Plage en Re if they want easy access to the beach. Both well placed for exploring the island on bikes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thank you both for info. They've booked a campsite on the island, get into Caen about 3.30 pm but want to stop overnight because of the children. I'll pass on municipal site info.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Best bet might be to stop overnight near Caen and do the lot the next day with an earlyish start? Amis de la Plage mentioned above is the more kid friendly (and thus more costly) of the two sites, for future reference. Ile de Re is a great place for families - I wish we'd discovered it when our kids were younger.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
They will love Il de Ri,,,lovely villages and beaches,,great cycling,,cycle paths everywhere and cycle hire...BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Ile de Re - a lovely place but they MUST take bikes - it's bike heaven!
And they MUST visit La Rochelle too - on bikes or by car!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back