Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
Hi this has probably been asked before and if it has I apologise!

my hubby wants a cadac carri chef as he likes all the different surfaces to cook on. My question is, is it worth getting one due to having the cooker in the kitchen area? is it just carrying extra weight for nothing? and the canisters in our van are propane (I think), I was told this runs off butane? so would we also need ton carry an extra canister?

Thanks in advance :)

OP
OP
B

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
the safari is too small as there will usual be at lest 4 of us. he was looking at the carri chef 2 combo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
One of the advantages of a BBQ is you can cook outside in hot weather, so avoiding the sweaty kitchen.

Don't worry about the different gases. The Cadac will run on propane or butane or a mixture of both. An external BBQ gas connection is a useful thing to get fitted.

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I wouldn't be without our Safari chef. It's versatile and compact. Size is yet to be a problem (family of four). We generally don't cook meats or fry in the van, as don't want the van to start smelling greasy - our preference. The Cadac is so easy, bacon, sausages etc are always done outside.

We have a separate propane bottle for it, although an external gas point would make things easier (y)

Carri Chef looks appealing, simply too big for us to store easily.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
@moho I thought it may be too big also, to be honest we have not really had a good look at them, just watched the youtube videos. We have both reserved at gooutdoors and have good prices for both with their price match. hubby said safari was too small but now I am not sure.....

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
@moho I thought it may be too big also, to be honest we have not really had a good look at them, just watched the youtube videos. We have both reserved at gooutdoors and have good prices for both with their price match. hubby said safari was too small but now I am not sure.....
Like everything it is a bit of a compromise. Never had any issues with the smaller one that a little bit of planning wouldn't fix......

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
When we had the caravan we used ti have the large cadac. It was good, but to be honest found it a pain to clean and way to big! So now in the MH we use a picnic stove and griddle pan. Same effect as the cadac but easy to clean and takes very little room. We can also use the picnic stoves to cook anything else out doors we need. We use the big cadac at home only now.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
A No from me too.

It takes up too much space and is a sod to clean.

In the end I was just using the grill plate which defeated the purpose I bought it for which was for barbecues.

I got rid of it and now carry a small Weber and a campinggaz stove with a single burner. Stick a frying pan on top of either and it serves the same purpose as I was using the Cadac for.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
A No from me too.

It takes up too much space and is a sod to clean.

In the end I was just using the grill plate which defeated the purpose I bought it for which was for barbecues.

I got rid of it and now carry a small Weber and a campinggaz stove with a single burner. Stick a frying pan on top of either and it serves the same purpose as I was using the Cadac for.
I stick a non stick pizza pan on top of the cadac to ease the cleaning duties. It can be a pain to clean sometimes.

Edit - good idea about the camping gaz stove - go outdoors were doing portable gas rings for about £18 including some bottles, but I've got a BBQ point and by golly, I'm going to use it!

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In another thread I was slated for saying disposable Bbqs are better than cadac , I was only being half serious but certainly worth a look at £1.89 in home bargains , no heavy lugging about , no cleaning after , no gas hookup and a proper barbecue not just a gas hot plate(y);)

Upvote 0

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
(y)There are just the two of us and I use the Safari Chef hooked up to the external gas point, it's very good. Cleaning the BBQ Grill is a pain, but the Griddle surfaces are almost wipe clean, and I have now got wire wool for the BBQ Grill. I can use the burner on it's own and cook in the Wok on it, I can fry or Paella on it, for my money and our purposes it's a great bit of kit.(y) I know some sites will not allow Charcoal BBQs as they pose a fire risk.
image.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
On our second Cadac now. The first one got old and manky from lots of use so splashed out on a new Carry Chef.
Nothing beats standing outside, beer in hand, and cooking a couple of steaks on a warm summer evening.
Oh, and the Cadac cooks them a treat and with the non-stick surface is not a huge problem to clean, although the Memsahib is prone to complaining about it due to its size in a small sink.

Richard.

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
In another thread I was slated for saying disposable Bbqs are better than cadac , I was only being half serious but certainly worth a look at £1.89 in home bargains , no heavy lugging about , no cleaning after , no gas hookup and a proper barbecue not just a gas hot plate(y);)
But what about timing ?
By the time a disposable bbq is ready to use (I reckon an hour not 20min), I've cooked, eaten and done the washing up...

Cadac cooks a great chicken/joint of meat/roast potatoes too.
Disposable would cost a fortune if I bought one for every time I used the Cadac - they're just not practical if you have a family.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
just to prove we have a cadac and not talking out of the top of my head , here is the first of the only three times we have ever used it, and it must have done 5000 miles rideing about
image.jpg

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
But what about timing ?
By the time a disposable bbq is ready to use (I reckon an hour not 20min), I've cooked, eaten and done the washing up...

Cadac cooks a great chicken/joint of meat/roast potatoes too.
Disposable would cost a fortune if I bought one for every time I used the Cadac - they're just not practical if you have a family.
We sometimes use our Cadac three times s day
Bacon for breakfast
Grilled Haloumi cheese for lunch
Steak for dinners
You'd need a lorry load of disposable barbecues
How much would that cost

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We sometimes use our Cadac three times s day
Bacon for breakfast
Grilled Haloumi cheese for lunch
Steak for dinners
You'd need a lorry load of disposable barbecues
How much would that cost
Quite agree with you there, that is when a cadac wins, if you are parked up for maybe a week or so and can leave it fixed up, but if you are just stopping for one night and going the next morning it's just to much hassle , putting it together and taking apart and cleaning the damn thing

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Quite agree with you there, that is when a cadac wins, if you are parked up for maybe a week or so and can leave it fixed up, but if you are just stopping for one night and going the next morning it's just to much hassle , putting it together and taking apart and cleaning the damn thing
Longest we stay in one place is one or two nights - got itchy feet
Often use a frying pan on top for bacon etc, otherwise the non stick griddle top is easily cleaned with kitchen towel before a quick dunk in hot water

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So there you are @Babyell the full spectrum of considered Forum input, from No to Yes with several alternatives in between. :) Only ones missing are from those who always eat out or those who order a pizza to be delivered!

I suggest if hubby wants a new toy to cook on and he is going to be doing the cooking why are you arguing! Sit back with a glass in one hand and a camera in the other and send us the photos.

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
just to prove we have a cadac and not talking out of the top of my head , here is the first of the only three times we have ever used it, and it must have done 5000 miles rideing aboutView attachment 69363
@chaser @Babyell kind of proves the point that safari chef is the best choice for the motorhomer.
Carri chef is perfect - for the caravanner :)

Upvote 0

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have a Cadac Carri Chef 2 and use it quite a lot.
Its easy to clean, just wipe the excess up with kitchen paper, spray with cleaner, wipe clean...job done.
But we only take it with us if we are away for more than a few days....due to size.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
@chaser @Babyell kind of proves the point that safari chef is the best choice for the motorhomer.
Carri chef is perfect - for the caravanner :)
LOL Vehemently disagree with you, unless all you like to cook is bacon and stir fries.

A great device for ruining good quality meat, especially steak! Which of course we all know should be crispy on outside and red in the middle. High, fierce heat to sear the steak and cook it quickly.

Cooked on a Cadac it sits in its own gravy gently boiling and bubbling away, whilst what started as a lovely yellow rind of fat around the steak slowly renders itself down into a greasy mess! which is why it is good for Birds Eye "Grease Burgers" lol

My Son bought one and endured several trips with us experienced campers howling with laughter, tears in our eyes, which were not from, I assure you the smoke of cooking meat, whilst he stood there desperately trying to coax enough heat from it to sear a decent, think cut steak.

Accepted, it did cook eggs, mushrooms and bacon well for breakfast, but so would any frying pan on a portable £10 (Broken Link Removed) gas stove. The type that Jim used to cook 112Kg of bacon on at the Lincoln show.

James gave up in the end, and he could stand the betrayal when Kate his wife started coming over to us, and asking if we would cook her steak for her as James always "ruined" theirs.

This BBQ infidelity finally made James realise that he had to bite the bullet and get a real one!

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
LOL Vehemently disagree with you, unless all you like to cook is bacon and stir fries.

A great device for ruining good quality meat, especially steak! Which of course we all know should be crispy on outside and red in the middle. High, fierce heat to sear the steak and cook it quickly.

Cooked on a Cadac it sits in its own gravy gently boiling and bubbling away, whilst what started as a lovely yellow rind of fat around the steak slowly renders itself down into a greasy mess! which is why it is good for Birds Eye "Grease Burgers" lol

My Son bought one and endured several trips with us experienced campers howling with laughter, tears in our eyes, which were not from, I assure you the smoke of cooking meat, whilst he stood there desperately trying to coax enough heat from it to sear a decent, think cut steak.

Accepted, it did cook eggs, mushrooms and bacon well for breakfast, but so would any frying pan on a portable £10 (Broken Link Removed) gas stove. The type that Jim used to cook 112Kg of bacon on at the Lincoln show.

James gave up in the end, and he could stand the betrayal when Kate his wife started coming over to us, and asking if we would cook her steak for her as James always "ruined" theirs.

This BBQ infidelity finally made James realise that he had to bite the bullet and get a real one!
:LOL::LOL::LOL: Ouch ! But certainly some truth in there (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back