Cadac Replacement (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Having finally had enough of cleaning our cadacs, both safari and carri chef, safari left over from our camper van

I can't take anymore from what would otherwise be a nice bit of kit, it seems unless you cook sweetcorn on them all the time I seem to spend more time trying to cleaning the bloody thing!!!:mad:

I know they are effectively hotplates so I'm going to go back to using our folding charcoal bar-bie for barbeque's and want to find a replacement that is more user friendly

come on folk's please save my sanity and no the missus won't clean it as she's a veggie:sick:

Andy

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Is it a charcoal barbecue you're after, or a hotplate?

If it's a folding barbeque, I've just bought a "Son of Hibachi" - and so far, I'm impressed. Heats up quickly, great to have grids on two sides that you can set at different heights, doesn't use much charcoal and the "snuff-out pouch" really works - makes it easier to light next time as well, as the half-used charcoal seems to light more easily. Plus when you close it up the fat burns off the grids, no cleaning!

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Drexxer
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2001
Sorry, it's the hotplate Cadac replacement that I'm after, looks a nice product though(y)

Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Keep the Cadac Paella pan and buy a simple gas cooker for £10. We use just 4 of these to cook bacon breakfasts for 300+ people. Its all we carry these days, great for outdoor cooking by the van or on the beach. The Paella pan wipes clean with a towel, the gas is cheap. (y)

411SibQtMvL._SY300_.jpg

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Don't know anything about them but how about this to replace the Cadac, we've also been through the washing of the Cadac:( Just had a better look on there web site and it looks like it would be the same hassle to clean.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
If you are happy carrying the Cadac around just use it with a paella pan, as Jim said EASY to clean----------we soon dumped all our cadac 'bits'----then got fed-up carrying and assembling it all-----we now use a prehistoric (simpler) cadac and our paella pan-----easy to carry/assemble and CLEAN

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
This looks better, we use something similar.
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Drexxer
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2001
So the Cadac piella pan, is it easier to clean than the griddle etc, I havn't got one but would consider one if easier to clean than there other products

Andy

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
So the Cadac piella pan, is it easier to clean than the griddle etc, I havn't got one but would consider one if easier to clean than there other products

Andy
Andy I know where your coming from about cleaning the Cadac, we bought one a few years ago with our Tesco vouchers so it never really cost us much, got all the bits with it. Used the BBQ grill once and I said then I will never use it again as it took longer to clean than ever. We use the grill plate now which is ribbed on one side and smooth on the other with a small lip. When using the ribbed side if any juices etc go in the moat baby wipes sort that out. We still have our trusty ol Cobb but again takes some cleaning or the one burner grills. The best one is just go down the pub let them do all the washing up. (y)

OP
OP
Drexxer
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2001
Morning Mikey,

it's the ribbed griddle thats a pain!, little flecks of burnt whatever seem welded to the thing!, tried every chemical known to man, dishwasher also doesn't touch it,

Maybe I'm expecting too much wanting it as good as when I started cooking on it?

Andy

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
We use a non stick frying pan and/or griddle pan on our Cadac. Easy to wash up afterwards. As said before the BBQ grill is a pain to keep clean.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
After 2 uses I was ready to get rid of Cadac-then I discovered the Paella pan(y)
Now all the cadac bits are in loft and we use Cadac + Paella pan with no worries.No matter how dirty it is-just put a squirt of washing up liquid and some water in it,let it heat for couple of mins-bingo,it's clean again.:)
Because of it's size no grease gets down into the burner unit.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Keep the Cadac Paella pan and buy a simple gas cooker for £10. We use just 4 of these to cook bacon breakfasts for 300+ people. Its all we carry these days, great for outdoor cooking by the van or on the beach. The Paella pan wipes clean with a towel, the gas is cheap. (y)

411SibQtMvL._SY300_.jpg
I've had one of those for years.
It was used in my lorry driving days and has cooked many meals.
Last week we had a BBQ at home and used it with a wok to do side dishes.
Great bit of kit. (y)

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005

411SibQtMvL._SY300_.jpg
We bought one of these from Aldi a couple of weeks ago, cant wait to use it for cooking freshly caught fish on the beach.
Senior management wont let me cook fish in the van, bless her:)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Maybe worth trying to season the griddle with a high temperature oil before you next use it ? Mr Google is your friend (y)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We don't bother with the ribbed side of the grill but the plain side is easily cleaned. Neither of us are bothered whether or not we have lines on our steaks, chops etc:D; also it's really hard to do things like onions on the ribbed side as they keep disappearing into the grooves!

Denise

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007

Hi . This is exactly what we have ended up with . We also have 2 cadacs in the attic at home ! We will use one of them at home where hot water and proper kitchen sink is available but not in the van anymore . However hubby forgot to bring spare gas cartridges and
now in France we wonder where to look for replacements....help needed!

411SibQtMvL._SY300_.jpg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

411SibQtMvL._SY300_.jpg

These are all we use with the Sea Scouts.. (y)

Bought one last night from Halfords with six cans of Butane..
Cooker £10 , Butane was £1.50 a can .. buy two get third free ..

total = £16
almost cheap enough the throw away when they get dirty :LOL:

The Cadac Carri Chef lies abandoned behind the shed.. unloved and now covered in moss

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We have one of these simple gas cookers with us here in France ....husband forgot to bring spare cartridges. Any idea where we could buy some here ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We have one of these simple gas cookers with us here in France ....husband forgot to bring spare cartridges. Any idea where we could buy some here ?

have you tried any of the big supermarkets .. Le Clerc etc ?

they stock all sorts of camping kit including regular LPG bottles

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
I love being a Non-Veggie,the smooth side with the lip is all I use for the morning fry up.(y)
Leave to cool and wipe with a kitchen towel.:)

Attachments

• brekkie3.jpg
    brekkie3.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 37

klaus Knaus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
We got rid of our Cadac a few years ago and replaced it with a beauclaire - never regretted it

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
This looks better, we use something similar.
Broken Link Removed

As total novices, and only just recently been allowed out in the real world, we have a cadac Safari chef deluxe, shows you what a lack of knowledge can do, anyway I have to say I was impressed with a couple of similar bbq's like this one, being used by people pitched near us, steaks and the works, one cooking a Chinese meal, the food smelled good, and looked very edible, oh we haven't had time to use our cadac yet, but it will be used with the gaslow installed system, via bbq point on the van.

Edit also saw on a caravan weblog, with the cadac in the bottom deflector put some water and keep topping it up as you cook as the fat runs into it the water keeps it from burning onto the pan and makes for easier cleaning, not had time to try it yet, so don't know if it works, but if anyone has tried, would be interested in your experience of it(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back