Cadac chef (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Any comments for and against the Cadac Chef 2, i.e. the mini version.
How often do you use, and is it a cleaner way than Bar B Q etc.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Do you mean the Safari Chef? Years ago before we bought our Carri Chef we also considered the Safari Chef but decided it was probably a bit small even though there's only 2 of us. We use our Carri Chef a lot - its not the easiest thing in the world to clean, but I don't think its too bad (I'd guess the Safari Chef would be easier because its smaller). I wouldn't say they're easier to clean than a charcoal BBQ though, but that's coz we don't clean our charcoal one at home - we just heat it up and scrape it off ;)

The main thing I think the Cadac has going for it is the flexibility - we've grilled stuff, done a full breakfast on it, cooked pizza, paella, curry and roasted joints of meat. When travelling its also a bonus not to have to carry separate bag of charcoal.

I'd also be interested on people's feedback of the Safari Chef - due to limited locker space I'm thinking of the replacing the Carri Chef with a Safari Chef but I use the skottel a lot on the Carri Chef so I'd be interested in any feedback on cooking things like paella, curry, stirfrys etc.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
someone by me selling a s/h one £40 on facebook... Looks like the safari chef..
Pity your so far away..

14045665_1400311576651239_7484942651502498374_n.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We use the safari chef with aluminium leg extensions which we bought off eBay, I can now cook standing up which is a great help.
I also find th Safari chef very easy to keep clean.

John.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
someone by me selling a s/h one £40 on facebook... Looks like the safari chef..
Pity your so far away..

View attachment 121586
Yep that's the one (y) We're in no rush right now...hubby's yet to be convinced of the need to change. We're of to France tomorrow so we'll see how he feels when we get back...I've a feeling he'll come round to my way of thinking ;)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We use a safari chef and it a great size for 2 maybe 3, we used to have the bigger one but just found it too big for the 2 of us. We find them a faff to clean at times especially if you do use it as a BBQ rather than a gas stove, mind think it is easier than most I've seen. Have recently bought a Son of Hibachi clone a Bruzzzler Charcoal Folding Grill, used it at home and then 3 times in the van and it works great, not quite but sort of self cleaning, very tidy you do not get ash everywhere and it does not smell.

So right now we have 2 bbqs in the van Safari Gas for general cooking outside and an easy to use (i.e. light and extinguish) proper charcoal BBQ.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I have the small Cadac and the only problem I have is that you can't see the flame to adjust it so its flat out or nothing.
Yes I have the same criticism, but I have put a mark on the Knob to show when its at its lowest setting (done when set up as a gas ring)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any comments for and against the Cadac Chef 2, i.e. the mini version.
How often do you use, and is it a cleaner way than Bar B Q etc.

A very versatile tool. Not that easy to clean, are any.

Note there are two versions, the HP one you screw on a cannister is not much use.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We use the mini chef. There is only the two of us and it is fine for breakfast and we use the tapas cups for eggs. Great little unit. We do have the carri chef but it is usually relegated to the house, but when we remember we take it away but usually turn to the mi I again. Mini same as safari but no lid and a reverse grill griddle.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you are going to use it as a proper BBQ, ie with the wire rack then the Safari Chef is worth considering, however if you only intend to use it with the flat plate, or a skottle top then you'd be better off, IMV, with a cheap suitcase type portable gas stove (the type that takes the aerosol shape canisters), a good frying pan and a griddle pan! The benefit of this is that you can the use them indoors on the normal hob if it is raining!

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Think its the Cadac Grillogas we have, use it a lot with either the bbq grill or paella pan for anything from breakfast to lunch. Paella pan great for all manner of one pot cooking. The bbq unit is quick and easy to assemble and packs away well. I think it's pretty easy to clean. One of the best purchases we have made for the van, and we got it on special from Millets, subsequently further discounted because it was misadvertised.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You let rain stop you cooking outside?
... it tends to make the burgers soggy although hubby has been known to do it under an umbrella! :D

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have just got a safari chef 2, not tried it out, but have a few friends with them, we manage to do breakfast for 6 on one of them, but done by a professional chef, so perhaps had a good system. Recently also had a meal cooked on one of a similar size did 6 burgers and a pack of sausages, all about how you load the grid. so easily big enought for 4, you wouldn't get 4 T.bones on one but you would get 4 sirloins on. have a spare regulator so might jut get some hose and try it on the spare bottle at home. Cue rain for the next month lol. New model is supposedly easier to clean than the old one too.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Why is the high pressue Cadac not as good as the low pressure? I have just bought a high pressure but haven't tried it out yet. I thought they were both the same?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Why is the high pressue Cadac not as good as the low pressure? I have just bought a high pressure but haven't tried it out yet. I thought they were both the same?
The high pressure one works off the screw on canisters and some people say it doesn't get as hot as the low pressure one which works from a gas bottle - some people prefer one type, some the other, here's a thread from a while ago on the subject.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We have recently upgraded from a safari chef to a safari chef 2. We loved the original one but the lack of control of the flame was annoying.
The new one has a knob just like on a cooker so you can control the flame more easily. It also seems to be more powerful although the plate is smaller it is fine for 2 and is easier to clean.
Bought it from GoOutdoors who do a price match service giving you 10% off the matched price.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We got ours from Winfields, shop matched their online price.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
Cadac a lot quicker and easier than a bbq, but not quite the smoky burnt taste. we were on a campsite which didn't allow even charcoal so cadac was essential there

OP
OP

Deleted User
Have now bought the cadac, to hook direct to the Bar B Q point on the van. Purchased from the Norwich Camping and Caravan shop, with 4 metres of line was £100.
Many thanks for all comments.
Ian S

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Have just got a safari chef 2, not tried it out, but have a few friends with them, we manage to do breakfast for 6 on one of them, but done by a professional chef, so perhaps had a good system. Recently also had a meal cooked on one of a similar size did 6 burgers and a pack of sausages, all about how you load the grid. so easily big enought for 4, you wouldn't get 4 T.bones on one but you would get 4 sirloins on. have a spare regulator so might jut get some hose and try it on the spare bottle at home. Cue rain for the next month lol. New model is supposedly easier to clean than the old one too.
We've got the same. Bought 2 Cadac quick release connectors and just clip on the home or van tubing.

Joe

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
We got a Safari Chef just before going to France recently. We mostly used the griddle plate with barbeque ready meats/ kebabs from the supermarkets and all came out really well. Although only 2 of us, it could have fed more. I found soaking the plate for a while first, everything wiped off with no problems (hope that continues for a reasonable time).

Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
I found cleaning the Cadac a right pain in the Rse ..... so somewhere on this forum someone recommended the following ......

https://www.thepaellacompany.co.uk/non_stick_paella_pans.html

Bought one & love it ....... cooks just about everything & easy clean up afterwards (DONT however heat oil with the lid on !! )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back