LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Although we spend FCCa lot if our time in Spain (Totana) mainly, next weekend we are going to Seville for an orienteering competition. Whilst the weather is so good we thought we would leave next Monday and take four or five days to travel there. We last went to the Cabo de Gata area in 1999-ish so would appreciate any information on the best parts to stay, either wild camping or aires or campsites. We would want to ride our bikes and/or run or walk.

We do use camper contact, areas ac etc. so really want personal recommendations of quiet, pleasant places.

Thanks.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We have been, stayed at los escullos, can advise on wild camping too. You can always pm us :)

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We don't remember being too impressed with the area (we like mountains and trees) all those years ago but we speak to many people who think it's great, hence the second chance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi Judith
I'd appreciate your feedback on Cabo De Gato when you get there.
Its on our list for our visit in December
We're planning to stay at www.cabodegata.camp as we were unable to find prices online for Los Escullos
Maybe you could post your findings on this thread?

Happy Travels

Regards
Robert

Will let you know what we think, but we don't all like the same things!

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Camping Cabo de Gata is a nice site it is in Acsi but their own rates are cheaper,access to walking an cycling is good about 1km walk to the beach you can then walk miles either way you can also walk out across the wild areas there.they have a small supermarket on site and a bar and restraunt pool if your brave enough.
It's about 20/30 mins to Almeria and 10 min bike ride to the village.
We'll be back there again this winter for a while we love it there and you get a good variety of friendly people.
Good for birding as well

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
We wildcamped around the area for a Month earlier this year, you can empty your loo and fill water tanks at Los Escullos site for a small fee.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
@Robert Clark a quick first review of Cabo de Gata as requested.

We have arrived at the new camperstop in Cabo de Gata. Although it is situated at the edge of the greenhouses once through the gates you are in a very nice environment. The place has been purpose built. It is flat with gravel. There are water points that supply two pitches and ample electric points.

There is a very good shower and toilet block with washing up and clothes washing sinks, although we don't feel that this should necessarily be provided on a camperstop. This is a campsite in all but name!

The owners also own the restaurant on site and grow their own vegetables.

There is a small (cave) with tables and chairs for the use of their customers and they are collaborating with a Belgian to supply Belgian beer.

They have a lot of good ideas and we hope it all works out well for them.

We had a bike ride down to San Jose and across the headland to the lighthouses and the village of Cabo de Gata and return through Ruescas. I think that the coast in the opposite direction (tomorrow's project) is probably more picturesque, although between San Jose and the lighthouses was very nice.

Windmill near San Jose
IMG_20151110_125827873.jpg

Along the headland to Cabo de Gata village
IMG_20151110_133339650.jpg
IMG_20151110_133550573.jpg

The camperstop Cabo de Gata
IMG_20151110_113454837.jpg
IMG_20151110_111825191.jpg

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
@Robert Clark a quick first review of Cabo de Gata as requested.

We have arrived at the new camperstop in Cabo de Gata. Although it is situated at the edge of the greenhouses once through the gates you are in a very nice environment. The place has been purpose built. It is flat with gravel. There are water points that supply two pitches and ample electric points.

There is a very good shower and toilet block with washing up and clothes washing sinks, although we don't feel that this should necessarily be provided on a camperstop. This is a campsite in all but name!

The owners also own the restaurant on site and grow their own vegetables.

There is a small (cave) with tables and chairs for the use of their customers and they are collaborating with a Belgian to supply Belgian beer.

They have a lot of good ideas and we hope it all works out well for them.

We had a bike ride down to San Jose and across the headland to the lighthouses and the village of Cabo de Gata and return through Ruescas. I think that the coast in the opposite direction (tomorrow's project) is probably more picturesque, although between San Jose and the lighthouses was very nice.

Windmill near San Jose
View attachment 82357
Along the headland to Cabo de Gata village
View attachment 82358 View attachment 82359
The camperstop Cabo de Gata
View attachment 82361 View attachment 82360
Looks great !
Thanks for your feedback

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I will definitely be going there, we had a great time at Cabo de Gata last time. Thanks for the pictures @jumartoo.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I will definitely be going there, we had a great time at Cabo de Gata last time. Thanks for the pictures @jumartoo.

The camperstop itself is excellent. It's a pity its not in a better situation. It's about 7 km to the coast, so need some sort of transport. Bikes are OK, the road is fairly flat until approaching the sea. We will be riding this same road tomorrow and taking the road towards Los Escullos and exploring the area around there. Will post again to let you know what we find.

Deleted User
From Los Escullos you can walk towards a Caldera past Precillas Bajas , turn off the rambla part way and it is possible to walk past a farmhouse at the crest and turn left to Los Albaricoques. The Alba does free tapas with a beer and also Menu del Dia, lots of Clint Eastwood stuff as they filmed parts of the spaghetti westerns there.
A couple of short coastal walks or one longer one, park at Playa Playaza near Rodalquilar and walk to Las Negras and on to San Pedro
DSCN0015 (600 x 450).jpg

which is a bit of a hippy colony and only accessible on foot or by boat.

Possible to park at Las Negras and walk either way from there.

Agua Amarga to San Pedro is a good walk , passing Cala del Plomo en route
DSCN0802 (600 x 450).jpg

In my opinion the coast from Cabo de Gato lighthouse to Agua Amarga is amongst the finest in Spain and the Natural Park is superb once you pass all the plastic.

The area around Cabo de Gata village is very uninspiring, the site may be OK but the surroundings are disappointing.

We do not do much cycling of the sort necessary in the area, Los Escullos to San Jose is about it and since I can no longer do much walking we only stayed in the area a week this year, previously we have stayed at Los Escullos up to 3 months.

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Hi Judith and Martin,

I endorse Matamoro's recommendations. We like the walk into the volcano crater by Presillas Bajas. Plenty of parking for vans in the square.

There's a nice cycling route through a green valley out of Las Negras, through Hortichuelas, and up the old road for mile. Then taking a dogleg back left at the first "col", and following the track south 1mile. Across the stream start turning left and come out on the Las Negras/Rodalquilar road. Straight over it towards El Playazo (see the wild campers by the beach) and up left over the headland back to Las Negras. Consider stopping en route in Hortichuelas Altas at Illuminada's café.

There's lots of cycling on the tracks behind the gold mine at Roadalquilar. The bikers café in Rodalquilar is interesting as are the botanical Gardens. The food at the Alba? restaurant at Albaricoques is good - it's where the Clint Eastwood film crew ate. Nearby there's the abandoned village which is the setting for Lorca's book "Blood Marriage".

There's still wild camping at La Isleta, in the mouth of the Rambla at San Jose, at Cala Plomo (but it's 10kms down a rough track) and Agua Amarga. Most of the wild camping places are tolerated out of season. There's a lovely walk out of La Isleta up to the three abandoned houses on the top, along the track to the white dome, but turning right off it on the flat top, down into a valley whose path brings you out behind the gold mine.

You can bike up to the lighthouse at Torre Lobo? and see for miles.

We like to stay at Camping La Caleta, Las Negras, though it is expensive for short stays. Free wifi outside the LN library.

There are several circular walks out of LN to the north, up the different valleys, turning left(east) to complete the route back to LN. The walk from LN over to El Playazo is a favourite. You can extend it by walking along the Playazo beach, over the next col, and immendiately right, up a valley bed path, as far as the lighthouse at Torre Lobo? Then off east down a track, to join the Rodalquilar/LN road.

The walking from LN north to San Pedro, Cala Plomo and Agua Amarga is wonderful but unless you're doing with two vehicles, it's best done in shorter legs.

There are wild foxes on the mesa between LN and La Caleta campsite and wild boar on the mesa south of the campsite. The latter's ridge walk is best anti-clockwise so you aren't descending the steepest slope.

The self sustaining village off the A7 on the way to Sorbas, is worth a look - as much for the curious "hippy/eco" colony as the strange rock formations. You can walk up the valley as far as Sorbas for a coffee.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Ros and Norman

PS Earlier this year, LosEscullos and Cabo de Gata were ACSI sites.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
There's lots of cycling on the tracks behind the gold mine at Roadalquilar.
Hi. Are we talking about mountain bikes, or are the tracks suitable for road bikes?
Thanks Chris

Deleted User

The dirt road past the goldmines eventually leads to Los Albaricoques and passes the abandoned chapel that was the setting for Lorca's 'Boda de Sangria'

This is a photo of the abandoned houses mentioned by YJ55
020.JPG

and this is the view towards Rodalquilar in the foreground and Playazo in the distance with Torre del Lobo on the right
018.JPG

I have some photo's of the goldmines somewhere but they seem to be missing from my filing system

A fascinating area in lots of ways.

Deleted User
Hi. Are we talking about mountain bikes, or are the tracks suitable for road bikes?
Thanks Chris
I would say mountain bikes, hybrids possibly but definitely not what I would term racing bikes. I have only walked or driven over those tracks and am not an experienced cyclist but that would be my opinion.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks, Matamoros. We have hybrids. I think we'll have a look. It sounds lovely!

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Yes, I agree with Matamoros about the tracks behind the gold mine. You wouldn't want to take your £3k lightweight racing bike up there but an older racing-style bike - why not. Mountain bikes and Hybrids would cope fine.

Deleted User
The dirt road past the goldmines eventually leads to Los Albaricoques and passes the abandoned chapel that was the setting for Lorca's 'Boda de Sangria'

This is a photo of the abandoned houses mentioned by YJ55
View attachment 82392

and this is the view towards Rodalquilar in the foreground and Playazo in the distance with Torre del Lobo on the right
View attachment 82393

I have some photo's of the goldmines somewhere but they seem to be missing from my filing system

A fascinating area in lots of ways.
Tried to edit but too late, should be sangre not sangria......just testing:)

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thanks for all the info, @YJ55NXC and @matamoros .

We have two more days here before we have to head to Seville for the weekend. We will look at the map at breakfast and use some of your recommendations today and tomorrow.

Definitely worth re-visit sometime. We have now changed our minds about the area. 17 year old recollections are not reliable :LOL:.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back