cab heaters (1 Viewer)

mythor

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
scotland
Funster No
Exp
one year and six months
Hi all any help would be good I have a 1991 Kon Tiki 6 berth.

We were away before Christmas to Wales. We were as warm as toast while parked in sites . But OMG while driving, on went the thermals, ski pants, thermal socks, fur lined crocks, body warmers,The only one who was not cold was the dog who remained on and under his blankets with hot water bottle. Husbend it was hot water bottle and blankets. (though he still complained ) as we drove north after christmas returning home it got steadly colder and colder, Heater in cab is not good ( clearly). thought my nose would fall off. On return I bought a plug in heater thought this would be the answer but tried it in the car this morning it is not going to be much use so for the MH it will be usless. I have heard that some thing can be added to gas bottle so Heating can be left on while driving. But have been told that this could be fitted to MH after 2004 I was wondering if anyone has heard of this regulator being fitted to old girls like mine.
Sorry for the long Saga still mindful of the cold as we are still in the minus as is the rest of the country. Any help would be WARMLY welcomed.
Ann

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Our MH has Webasto , diesel heating. Its brilliant.
Though having never had another MH before this , only caravans with the blown air truma heaters , I dont know any different.
The dealer did say that webasto and being fully winterized was a good bonus to the Van though. At the time the weather was mild and although we took on board what he said, we didn't fully appreciate it. Though do now:winky:
Its on when you drive and the heat comes out of all the air vents. We hardly used any gas over the new year, just for cooking.
The down side is it can take it out of the batteries. You need 2 good ones.
Though once its warmer we are fixing the solar panel on the roof, to help charge them up.
Bev
P.s
Ralph says have you thought about a power inverter and a low wattage mains powered heater.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Our MH has Webasto , diesel heating. Its brilliant.
Though having never had another MH before this , only caravans with the blown air truma heaters , I dont know any different.
The dealer did say that webasto and being fully winterized was a good bonus to the Van though. At the time the weather was mild and although we took on board what he said, we didn't fully appreciate it. Though do now:winky:
Its on when you drive and the heat comes out of all the air vents. We hardly used any gas over the new year, just for cooking.
The down side is it can take it out of the batteries. You need 2 good ones.
Though once its warmer we are fixing the solar panel on the roof, to help charge them up.
Bev
Better option and a lot cheaper would be a split charge relay to top up leisure batts whilst running from your alternator, or have I missed/lost something in the translation:Doh:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Thanks Geo, weve already got one on. Its when we are parked up for a few days not out charging the batteries thats the problem , though it could have been the - temps too.
Weve already got the 87 watt solar panel ( took it of the caravan before px ing) just waiting for the thaw so it will stick:thumb:
Bev

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ah!! thats cos the original poster was concerned with heating on the move
Its your fault I blame you
Its never me honest:Doh: ask the wife:thumb:
Im not perfect but im so close its scary:RollEyes:

Upvote 0

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years

We were away before Christmas to Wales. We were as warm as toast while parked in sites . But OMG while driving, on went the thermals, ski pants, thermal socks, fur lined crocks, body warmers,The only one who was not cold was the dog who remained on and under his blankets with hot water bottle. Husbend it was hot water bottle and blankets. (though he still complained ) as we drove north after christmas returning home it got steadly colder and colder, Heater in cab is not good ( clearly). thought my nose would fall off. On return I bought a plug in heater thought this would be the answer but tried it in the car this morning it is not going to be much use so for the MH it will be usless. I have heard that some thing can be added to gas bottle so Heating can be left on while driving. But have been told that this could be fitted to MH after 2004 I was wondering if anyone has heard of this regulator being fitted to old girls like mine.
Sorry for the long Saga still mindful of the cold as we are still in the minus as is the rest of the country. Any help would be WARMLY welcomed.
Ann

What is stopping you using the gas heating? If it does operate on the move then use it, I used to when I needed it.

Upvote 0

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
I have a 1997 Elddis on a fiat ducato cab, my heater is worse than a warm f*rt,as suggested in the post above, I run with the heating on if its cold, it seems to work fine while on the move and the hab area is nice and warm when you get on site.

regards, John

Upvote 0

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Before you spend money on alternatives I would look at why the van heater is so bad.
It is 25 years since I was in a motor with a poor heater.

Is the cab heater working at all?
Has some well meaning but incompetent person removed the engine thermostat?

Has the heater matrix got gunged up and needs replacing or just flushed out?

Have you blocked up any source of drafts around pedals, steering column or other vents.
If all else is well you could fit a Kenlow electric fan to replace a fixed radiator fan (if applicable).
Why pay for gas to heat the back on the move when there is oodles of waste heat from the engine

In years gone by it was common to fit a radiator blind to cut down on the amount of cold air reaching the engine. ( or even just a sheet of tin foil over part of the radiator)

All engines create a tremendous amount of heat which has to be got rid off - use it.

Upvote 0

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
I think the problem is that these heaters are designed for vans with bulkheads in, ie, only heating a small area. the other problem is to access the blower/matrix you have to remove the whole dash:Sad: Ive flushed mine and checked the stat etc, the engine just doesnt get hot in v cold weather, its ok most of the time. I may have to go looking for one of the grill cover I used to have on my old landrover or go back to the hassle of changing over stats come winter/summer. I find it easier to put the heating on low.

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If its the old type Sevil cab, you will find a scoop fitted over the bonnet heater intake works wonders.
They used to be available from a company called Delfin Designes,they were in,around Poole Dorset, and used to advertise in MMM.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I have been told others put a curtain up behind the seats which isolates the cab from the habitaion part making a much smaller space to heat up.

Upvote 0

bill2b

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Our Laika has a heater matrix with a fan in the living quarters and it gets really warm.
as soon as we stop we put the gas heating on :Smile::Smile:

The heater matrix in the back is only about 10 inches big with a fan attached and fits in one of the bays, would be an easy addition for those with cold rear ends :Blush: :Smile:

Upvote 0

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Heat? Where?

We have a Carioca on a Fiat Ducatto base. (2006 - so I would expect better)

Have noticed that the heater control has to be on the hotest setting to get any heat out of the heater. If we move only 5mm off the Red then it starts blowing cold air.

Also the Radio CD cannot play CD's as they get so hot that they stop playing.

When the weather warms up a bit! we are planning on taking out the radio to check whether the heater cowling has been knocked off when the radio was fitted.

Upvote 0

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Another possibility is that if you've had a lot of extra soundproofing round the engine, you might be keeping the warm air (from the engine area) out as well as the noise. Sometimes, you pays your money and takes your choice, I'm afraid, and the Ducato cab is pretty noisy.

Upvote 0

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Another possibility is that if you've had a lot of extra soundproofing round the engine, you might be keeping the warm air (from the engine area) out as well as the noise
I would hope that none of the (smelly) air around the engine finds its way into the cab!

Upvote 0

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007

I have heard that some thing can be added to gas bottle so Heating can be left on while driving. But have been told that this could be fitted to MH after 2004 I was wondering if anyone has heard of this regulator being fitted to old girls like mine.

Try this

Link Removed

I think that is all you will require

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mythor

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
scotland
Funster No
Exp
one year and six months
re heater kon tiki

Just thought I would let you no Motor home is going in for new therm. hoping heater will work better But thank you to the person who suggested Curtins between cab and van I made thermal curtins it made a Huge difference. Was away last weekend in Aveimore Cold temps and snow. Cab was much warmer, Could not believe it but of course it makes sense. I also had problems not being able to get speedo cable well I am having one made by Speedograph in Nottingham. Now if the window would stop leaking I would be sorted.( for now anyway)!!!:winky:
ann

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
cab heater

Before you spend money on alternatives I would look at why the van heater is so bad.
It is 25 years since I was in a motor with a poor heater.

Is the cab heater working at all?
Has some well meaning but incompetent person removed the engine thermostat?

Has the heater matrix got gunged up and needs replacing or just flushed out?

Have you blocked up any source of drafts around pedals, steering column or other vents.
If all else is well you could fit a Kenlow electric fan to replace a fixed radiator fan (if applicable).
Why pay for gas to heat the back on the move when there is oodles of waste heat from the engine

In years gone by it was common to fit a radiator blind to cut down on the amount of cold air reaching the engine. ( or even just a sheet of tin foil over part of the radiator)

All engines create a tremendous amount of heat which has to be got rid off - use it.

Hi
We have an auto-trail sat on a Mercedes Sprinter, 2.7L 5 cylinders, seems common knowledge that this engine runs cool, so cool that Mecedes fitted a Eberspacher diesel heater as standard in the cab to assist heating in the cold spells.
Not really used it in very cold weather but can say during October the standard cab heater wasn`t exactly hot.
Will be having the Eberspacher serviced soon.

Regards RobnChris

Upvote 0

gogocrosby

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Morpeth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
12 years
Sorry, I've arrived late. We had the same problem (1.9td) and spent £60 changing the thermostat., which made no difference. The problem was fixed by adding a cab curtain.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i suppose the van heater is designed to heat the cab of a delivery van which may be loaded to the gunnels with cargo in the back so only the small cab area will get warm...not the whole van.

open the back out as in a motorhome and you have a massive area to get warm and the heater isnt designed to large area space-heating.

hence the thermal curtains do work.

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
In my old motorhome - Elddis Autoquest on a Talbot 2.5 diesel - the cab heating was so hot that if I kept it on full my feet felt like they were burning, but of course the child who had drawn the short straw was freezing in the back on winter trips.

I was contemplating some way of funneling the hot air so it came out further back, but never got round to it before I sold the van.

We had the "CDs so hot they stopped playing" thing as well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mythor

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
scotland
Funster No
Exp
one year and six months
Which window?

Peter
It is the dinning room / kitchen it used to slide. It had a gap in it so I had it taken out and re done then it started leaking on the bottom left corner badley so I got sealent clear and went along everything in sight Then sealed the window on the outside with plastic and tape so I would no if it was deffo the window everything was dry. Took cover off yesterday and it was pouring down last everning paper towel was only damp this morning, it has cured 99% .but I think I will have to have a new window but not one that slides

Upvote 0

ddavewoods

Free Member
Jan 9, 2010
South West
Funster No
Exp
Our Kontiki 645 On a Ducato has an auxiliary heater matrix under the drivers seat which blows hot air into the habitation area whilst on the move, seems to work a treat.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
To pick up on something that was mentioned earliery - DO NOT use a gas heater whilst on the move unless it is a unit specifically meant to be used in that way with a safety cut out!

Most gas heaters are NOT meant to be used on the move and you could cause a major problem, and probably invalidate any insurance you had, if there was an incident/accident which could be attributed to your mis-use of it, or which was made worse by it being used in such a way.

Unless you install a form of heating such as a diesel heater, or a matrix (probably not possible though), you are really down to making it as snug as possibly by blocking up any draughty windows and doors, check the housing where the seat belts come up from at the side, and the bottom of the cab door windows where they meats the body work, as these areas can let in a surprising amount of cold air. Other than that, it's warm clothing and the curtains as has already been mentioned.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back