cab battery charging but not leisure

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by themountaintiger, Aug 16, 2015.

1. themountaintiger

themountaintiger Read Only Funster

I'm on Sargent Ec450 unit, the solar panel box is showing one full green light and another green one blinking. On control panel cab battery is blinking from 13 to 13.5, whilst my leisures have drained from 13 to 12.3 and do not appear to have charged at all. I've not used anything to heavily deplete batteries. Is this a setting I've upset on Sargent unit?

Another bit to add to mix, I've just had inverter, new alarm, tracker fitted by accredited person. Not sure if they have changed a setting.

T

2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Is your inverter switched on?.

Martin

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Make sure inverter is off when not in use, some, if not all take too much current on standby.

4. themountaintiger

Inverter not on. Not used it over weekend..

5. themountaintiger

The drain off solars has been approx 1.2 amps over weekend, I.e. Charging a kindle except 2 tellys taking 5 amps for 3 hrs.. However that was last night, sun is cracking flags here which is, has increased cab batt, but leisure batteries at 12.1

6. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

The ec450 can be set for
    Solar smart
    Solar vehicle
    Solar habitation
    Even on smart, it will not change from vehicle to hab until the threshold is reached.
    Change it to hab only to get some charge into the hab batteries.

7. themountaintiger

Ok, ill get manual.. Didn't realise it had those settings

8. themountaintiger

Read through instructions. It does say ......If the shutdown button is turned off then the solar panel will charge the vehicle battery only. i think this is what has happened with my installation guy perhaps using that button. I will try that and report back just in case any future funsters have same issue.

9. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

The problem is you have taken the batteries down to 12.2 or lower and UK sun will not right now charge them back up - the solar panel will top them up a little, but you need to go onto EHU or drive to get them charged back up where they will again be "topped up" by the solar.

10. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Some inverters will still drain a little, when switched off, if hard wired to L/B's. Do you have an isolator between the L/B's and the inverter.

My manual recommends an isolator switch, which I have, as they say "every little helps"

11. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

If the shutdown button is off, no power is available to any habitation lights or 12v outlets.
    Read how to set the advanced settings by holding the push switch down for a couple of seconds to change menus, then scroll to smart charging settings and set to habitation only.

• Like Like x 1
  12. themountaintiger

Thanks.. I'm just a bit perplexed as I had no issue prior to having extras added, I've not changed anything on EC450 either.. Will try the push switches..

and yes, I have had hab lights on etc,

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  13. themountaintiger

Dont know about the isolator and I was made aware of the drain.. but this is a situation of solar panels charging cab battery, but not leisure. There is only a minimal usage of leisure batteries and nothing is being fed back in.

14. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

But you said "Charging a kindle except 2 tellys taking 5 amps for 3 hrs" - this is not including fridge, water pump, lights, control panel etc etc.
    Be aware the average MH draws around 5/7 amps per hour and in you case that = round figure of 21amps each night.
    Now in UK on a good day you might get 2 amps per hour or 4/5 of NO clouds as the solar panel WILL NOT supply constant amps for longer than a few minutes........ at a time, so 2 amps minimum per hour for 8 hours = 16 amps back, BUT you took out 21 amps the night before and then you try and draw another 21 amps that night and the next day there is no sun.............. get the idea.
    You cannot get out of the battery WHAT'S not there.

Charge the batteries, not top them up................

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  15. themountaintiger

Thanks John

Think I was trying to explain it in a quick way. Woke up Saturday morning, Leisure batteries at 12.5. Went out at 10:30am, nothing plugged in except kindle drawing about 1amp. No fridge (its on gas). Come back at 8pm after half of which was sunny, Leisure batteries at 12.3. Then had 2 tvs on for 3 hrs.

Wake up Sunday morning LB's at 12.1/2 (expected) but very sunny morning. No TV or anything else plugged in (except charging pone) leisure batteries at 2pm still 12.1/2. Meanwhile van battery according to control panel is flashing that the van battery is being charged from 13 to 13.5

I would have expected the leisure battery section on the control panel to be flashing even if it was telling me its was going from 12v towards 12.5. It should be heading in a positive direction rather than decreasing.

From prior use I would have expected the leisure batteries to be adding 3-4 amps back each day based on weather conditions.

Think I need to check EC450 unit for settings as mentioned by Derbyshire.

16. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Firstly, your fridge even on gas draws power all be it 0.080 amps ish, but that can be 50/100 tims a day. Then there is your batteries if they are 12.5 in the morning and then 12.3 at night I suspect you will be looking at replacing them very very soon...... sorry to say.

17. themountaintiger

Hi John.. I suspect its not what your thinking. The motorhome is 2 weeks old to me, but I appreciate perhaps 6 months oldish. Also they were working perfectly and solar panels the weekend prior to having tracker, alarm, inverter installed which occurred Friday. I will speak to installer or Sargent. Appreciate your comments though.. not had solars before so learning..

• Like Like x 1
  18. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

hope tracker and alarm are wired to vehicle battery, they are a big drain on the system. do you have an independent regulator for the solar? We had a problem with our batteries not charging due to a faulty regulator, could be wired, now, only to charge the vehicle battery.

19. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

just a thought, do you have fuses just after the battery conectors, if so and one has blow, it can cause all sorts of funny problems,

20. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Not sure where you get those figures from. 5 to 7 amps equates to 60 - 85 watts of energy. Mine does not draw anything like that on average, and certainly not at night. Even the Truma heating (which is probably the biggest single draw at night) only averages about 1.5A at most, and then only if it is cold enough to even come on.
    0.08 amps still works out at 0.08A per hour even if it is running continuously (which it will be). That means less than 1Ahr per night, which should be easily replaced by a reasonable sized solar panel.

I suspect that there is something wrong with Sergeant unit or wiring. Most likely cause is the new work carried out recently to the system.