Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Well still here and still researching all the possibilities.... next question:
How essential do folk feel cab air con is? We will be touring in UK and France mostly. We've seen a van we really like but it doesn't have cab air con. The dealer says it's not all that common in vans around 2007/08 which is the age we're looking for i.e can afford.
I've read loads of threads about 12v fans and inverters and whether it's worth getting habitation air con and now I'm confused. Help!
:Doh:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
We never had cab air con till this van, its a case of once you have had it you would not like to be without. You realise just how nice it is, even in England.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It is nice to have.

However in mine it keeps the cab cool but not the passenger seats. I appreciate it is only "cab" air conditioned but in my innocence I thought it might keep my daughter cool who is only sitting 3 feet behind us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Vital in my view, but that is from the perspective of having an A-class. The large windscreen causes the driving area to get quite hot without air-con: I know because ours failed a few weeks back and I had to have it repaired.
Not sure I agree with the dealer's point of view that air-con is unusual in a 2007/8 van. The delivery boys have been benefiting from it for a few years now, and most motorhomes are based on that sort of vehicle. Ours is built on a 2003 Sprinter.

Philip

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cab air con certainly wouldn't be a purchasing factor or priority for us.

nice if the van comes with it but wouldn't worry if it hadn't.

its not very effective in my book, as it should cool the air in the whole vehicle, as in a car, not just blast freezing air in your face.
Plus, it will increase your fuel consumption.

because of the large interior volume of the van it could never cool it enough, in the same way as the dash heater will never sufficiently warm the hab area.

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We had cab aircon fitted at Easter and have found it invaluable-without it as soon as the sun hits the windscreen it's like a sauna.::bigsmile:
We also had a Remap done,so,were interested in our fuel consumption whilst in France.Prior to France, and the aircon and remap, we had only done short trips of about 200 miles over a weekend and from rough calculations seemed to be getting around 28-30 mpg. Over a 5 week period we covered 2,400 miles and returned 32mpg :ROFLMAO:
We are well pleased !!

Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
Cab air conditioning

We had cab aircon fitted at Easter and have found it invaluable-without it as soon as the sun hits the windscreen it's like a sauna.::bigsmile:
We also had a Remap done,so,were interested in our fuel consumption whilst in France.Prior to France, and the aircon and remap, we had only done short trips of about 200 miles over a weekend and from rough calculations seemed to be getting around 28-30 mpg. Over a 5 week period we covered 2,400 miles and returned 32mpg :ROFLMAO:
We are well pleased !!

Mike.

Our van is 2008 and it has it and I know people with older vehicles and they also have it (not every van has it though). I think it is worth its weight in gold. Driving can be stressful (at times) and if the weather is very hot, something to cool you down is worth having. Go for it!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks all.
I think we'll hold out for one with cab air con. Having reached that age when the old thermostat is beggared I need all the help I can get.
:Blush:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back