C1 licence

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mummyto3, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Mummyto3

Mummyto3 Read Only Funster

It's looking very likely that I'm going to have to take a C1 test as passing my car licence in 2002 I gather that I don't have the C1 entitlement. NOT impressed!!! :Angry::Angry::Angry: Especially at the price of it! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Does anyone know if I'd be able to drive provisionally with my other half with me who does have the entitlement on his licence?

We've yet to purchase a MH and trudging through all the pros and cons, fortunately there's more pros than cons but me not being able to drive it is a rather big problem as I'll be selling my car and using MH to do the running around I do. We can't afford to run 3 vehicles. :Sad::Sad::Sad:

Oh well, such is life. You start to get on top of things and you're swiftly kicked back down again. :Sad:

Shall keep trudging on and smiling. :Smile:

Leaha.

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

the answer is go on a proper course and get proper training .
    not knocking your oh , but they will teach you much more on driving bigger vehicles than most untrained ever think about .
    you only have to read on forums such as this .
    do it properly ,it wont be money wasted believe me. why not go for the full c licence .
    i would recommend that to every one . might be another string in your working bow at a later date .
    why spend the same to only go half way. go on its not any more difficult.

3. acting_strange

acting_strange

Sorry Alan but I think it is so wrong that people have to pay that kind of money just to drive something over 3.5....just another money making scheme...grrrrrr

4. camcondor

camcondor Read Only Funster

Are you planning on buying a very large motorhome then? If its over 3500kg its not going to be much fun as a daily driver for you........a little cheap runabout should cost very little and also be very cheapo to run - much cheaper than using a 3500kg+ motorhome for daily running about. Parking will be even less fun with a very large vehicle, especially if you are not used to one of that size. You could also look at downplating a vehicle to 3500kg which may leave you with a little less payload, but without the hassle and expense of having to get a new licence. Having said that, I certainly would not begin to consider using our motorhome as a daily driver as its just far to big for that, at over 7m long.

If you have a fully licenced driver with you in the vehicle, I don't see why you cannot drive it -the test is apparently going to be made easier for people wanting a C1 for non-commercial use, ie for driving motorhomes over 3500kg mostly, I would think.

5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi acting strange .
    thats ok you may think it.
    but as for getting the licence these days its far better to get proper training .
    i dont disagree with you in principal though.
    i used to drive a 34ft coach on a car licence years before i got my hgv licence . even so i know they taught me things i had never thought of . then psv taught me even a different way to drive.
    i see many pre 97 drivers with larger vehicles and see how bad they drive them .
    i feel its lack of training . speak to any that have done a course i,m sure they wil agree with me .
    as it is getting the c1 is hardly worth it far etter to go for the full c licence i ,m sure.
    i,m also a motor cyclist and also see that the training given over the years thats more than i and my friends had may have saved several lives over the years .
    as for it getting easier see will be believing .

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  6. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

If you want to drive the vehicle, take the correct training and pass the test. In your case, as alan says, you may just as well do the full C, doubt it would be any extra.
    Ive heard rumours of "watered down" licenses for MH or non commercial drivers,.......bloody ridiculous. Just because something has seats instead of pallets, does not make it any shorter.narrower or lighter, nor does it decrease the skill and perception needed to drive one safely.

Ask for aires in the UK, ask for VAT redictions, ask for RFL reductions, but dont ask for things that compromise your own safety or the safety of others.

There is an ever increasing number of female commercial drivers on the road, the OP, I dont doubt, would suck up any training and pass a test easily.
    I have an HGV1, ADR, HIAB, Forkilft, PSV, PSV towing, and have passed driving assessments at many major companies,......yet i have got to take a test to drive a silly arsed little scooter.........it hurts, but its the law. Good luck with whatever you decide:thumb:

• Like Like x 6
  7. Mummyto3

I know what you mean about the daily running around and that'll be at a minimum. Basically taking the kids to gymnastics lessons 3 times a week. It's 30 mins away and the sessions are 3 hrs long. Can't afford to run 3 vehicles sadly. Insurance for my 52 plate Zafira is just under £1000. We're just off the M60 and insurance is a killer!

We're after a swift sundance 630L which is 4000kg and isn't small. :RollEyes:

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You'll be sorry !!

That's no runabout. And of course 25 mpg.

9. Mummyto3

Do you know of anything similar to the sundance Brian? We've had a really good hunt so far and that's the only 'space' that would realistically work for us. A 6 berth with a good sized U shaped lounge. If spending around 30k we need to get it right.

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

send a PM to Rick (motor roamin' on here). click the link below to his PM page.

he runs a large vehicle (C1, C1+E, C and C+E) driver training school and will tell you all you need to know.

Motor roamin'

• Like Like x 3
  11. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

otherwise stick to the sub 3,500 kgs

As said in the posts anything bigger than 3,500 kgs is not much use as a run around. Eben my RV at 23'3" is 5.5 tons all up. But that is the yanks for you... Not much good as a run around.

There are many motor homes under the 3,500 kgs or 3.5 tons... out there. Otherwise it will cost you a fair bit to get the C1 but then you may also want to add the E to it so you can haul a trailer then you can go mass up to 8.25 tons.

Bob

12. camcondor

camcondor Read Only Funster

Oh dear, you can't be serious about wanting to use a 4000+kg MH as a local runabout / mums taxi, surely? It just isn't feasible, honestly. You would be better off waiting a while longer and saving for a little runabout - you don't say what age group you are in, but your Zafira insurance sounds really expensive - do you have penality points or previous accidents??. Insuring a small car costs us around £200. Maybe lower your motorhome aspirations a little to accommodate the small car. A small, simple car like a little Skoda or Fiesta or similar, small engine, low tax and should be much better insurance rates than the Zafira.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

From what little I have seen of Mums taxis outside skools
    This little Moma aint going to get within a mile and a half of skool with a 640:Eeek:
    So the Kids might as well walk:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I have a post 97 license and had to take my C1 training and test.
    I was angry about it until I took the course.

I learnt to drive in a tiny 1Ltr rover that I could almost fit in my pocket. To then be allowed to jump straight into a 7.5 tonne 12 Mtr vehicle is ridiculous.

There was only 6 years I think between taking my two tests and the driving style for a large vehicle is totally different. The things that stick in my mind most about the course was;

Extra Mirror work. Mirrors are so important in a large vehicle and the stress placed on this as opposed to a car test is unbelievable. Also extremely necessary.

Road Positioning at junctions is different. You have to take account that the back wheels don't follow the front wheels when turning. Also you have a large swing out. This all matters at filter lanes and other junctions.

Reversing. This has proven to be the most valuable part. I am a solo motorhomer and it taught me how to reverse my 10Mtr very wide Bus into a gap that was 18" wide on each side of the vehicle using mirrors alone and stop within 2' of a wall behind me.

The C1 test is far more rigorous in my opinion than a car test and much harder to pass. I managed it after a day and a half training with the test on the afternoon of the second day. I did have prior experience of driving tractors on a farm when I was much younger which may have helped (or not)

As I said, I was angry at being forced to take an extra test at the time but since doing the course I realise it is common sense now and highly recommend that anyone moving from a car to a larger vehicle should take at least 2 days training even if you don't take the test. It will make you a much safer driver.:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

Could not agree more with the recommendations for taking the test,what you learn is far in advance of the car test. I took my class 1 some 35 years ago, then a two week course.Although it lapsed some time ago due to change of jobs, soon as I jump in the motorhome it all comes back, as others say positioning, observing,and the main one continually checking mirrows, I think at the time you were expected to check every 10 seconds, and you would fail if you didn't!. I think the test at that time was 2 hours,luckily I passed first time:driving2::driving2:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Goldenoldies

Goldenoldies Funster

As a retired pcv instrutor(london buses) I have to say you will benefit if you take the full course.Just look at some of the young lads just passed test in a car, next day out doing multi drop in vans they cant comprehend the size of. As said before it will teach you more awarness and be safer for you and your family.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mummyto3

I'm 31 and have no convictions/accidents and have 10 years no claims and yes my insurance is friggin expensive!!! £300 more than when I first started driving and lived in Mansfield, Notts.

It's living right next to M60 motorway in Manchester that's pushed it up so high. Joy riders paradise.

Got a few quotes for MH insurance and it's cheaper than my car by a few £100. Tax is also cheaper than my car. Need a 7 seater car so a little one wouldn't be an option.

School is near enough on the doorstep so that's not an issue. So as for my 'mums taxi', it's only 3 trips out a week where there's ample parking space and I have permission. We don't think we can warrant having an extra vehicle just for a few trips out a week. I know it's a great big thing to driving and parking and trust me I've thought long and hard about it.

As for aspiring too high, does anyone know of a model that's less than 3500kg which is a 6 berth with 6 belts with enough room for 2 adults, a teenager, 3 kids and a dog? I can find one but you might know.

We're not doing this on a whim and are thinking very hard about everything and want to be sure and exhaust all the problems that arise before handing 30 add grand over. I may be right, I may be wrong but I'm just trying.

End of essay! :Smile::Smile:

Leaha.

18. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

Our 7 metre, six berth coachbuilt was our only vehicle for about six years.
    We never had any problem using it for shopping or general day to day running about.

My wife was driving it when she was eight months pregnant (no power steering!) with the other three kids on board.

:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  19. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

I had the reverse experience :BigGrin:I only had a M/cycle license when I went into the RAF
    in 1956.
    I had instruction and passed my RAF 'B' license in Germany driving a 3 ton Magirus Deutz lorry.I subsequently drove vehicles up to, but not including, HGV all over Germany.
    On my return to UK I had to take a test to drive a car-I failed first time for being too 'confident' :BigGrin: On my 2nd test I got an 'advisory' that I should drive in a slightly more 'positive' way :BigGrin: What's a guy to do eh!
    Mike.

20. Mummyto3

It can be done then? :Smile:

Feel for your wife at eight months and no power steering.:BigGrin:

Leaha.