Free Member
Aug 24, 2012
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
It's looking very likely that I'm going to have to take a C1 test as passing my car licence in 2002 I gather that I don't have the C1 entitlement. NOT impressed!!! :Angry::Angry::Angry: Especially at the price of it! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Does anyone know if I'd be able to drive provisionally with my other half with me who does have the entitlement on his licence?

We've yet to purchase a MH and trudging through all the pros and cons, fortunately there's more pros than cons but me not being able to drive it is a rather big problem as I'll be selling my car and using MH to do the running around I do. We can't afford to run 3 vehicles. :Sad::Sad::Sad:

Oh well, such is life. You start to get on top of things and you're swiftly kicked back down again. :Sad:

Shall keep trudging on and smiling. :Smile:

Leaha.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the answer is go on a proper course and get proper training .
not knocking your oh , but they will teach you much more on driving bigger vehicles than most untrained ever think about .
you only have to read on forums such as this .
do it properly ,it wont be money wasted believe me. why not go for the full c licence .
i would recommend that to every one . might be another string in your working bow at a later date .
why spend the same to only go half way. go on its not any more difficult.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
the answer is go on a proper course and get proper training .
not knocking your oh , but they will teach you much more on driving bigger vehicles than most untrained ever think about .
you only have to read on forums such as this .
do it properly ,it wont be money wasted believe me. why not go for the full c licence .
i would recommend that to every one . might be another string in your working bow at a later date .
why spend the same to only go half way. go on its not any more difficult.

Sorry Alan but I think it is so wrong that people have to pay that kind of money just to drive something over 3.5....just another money making scheme...grrrrrr

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Are you planning on buying a very large motorhome then? If its over 3500kg its not going to be much fun as a daily driver for you........a little cheap runabout should cost very little and also be very cheapo to run - much cheaper than using a 3500kg+ motorhome for daily running about. Parking will be even less fun with a very large vehicle, especially if you are not used to one of that size. You could also look at downplating a vehicle to 3500kg which may leave you with a little less payload, but without the hassle and expense of having to get a new licence. Having said that, I certainly would not begin to consider using our motorhome as a daily driver as its just far to big for that, at over 7m long.

If you have a fully licenced driver with you in the vehicle, I don't see why you cannot drive it -the test is apparently going to be made easier for people wanting a C1 for non-commercial use, ie for driving motorhomes over 3500kg mostly, I would think.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi acting strange .
thats ok you may think it.
but as for getting the licence these days its far better to get proper training .
i dont disagree with you in principal though.
i used to drive a 34ft coach on a car licence years before i got my hgv licence . even so i know they taught me things i had never thought of . then psv taught me even a different way to drive.
i see many pre 97 drivers with larger vehicles and see how bad they drive them .
i feel its lack of training . speak to any that have done a course i,m sure they wil agree with me .
as it is getting the c1 is hardly worth it far etter to go for the full c licence i ,m sure.
i,m also a motor cyclist and also see that the training given over the years thats more than i and my friends had may have saved several lives over the years .
as for it getting easier see will be believing .

Last edited:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
If you want to drive the vehicle, take the correct training and pass the test. In your case, as alan says, you may just as well do the full C, doubt it would be any extra.
Ive heard rumours of "watered down" licenses for MH or non commercial drivers,.......bloody ridiculous. Just because something has seats instead of pallets, does not make it any shorter.narrower or lighter, nor does it decrease the skill and perception needed to drive one safely.

Ask for aires in the UK, ask for VAT redictions, ask for RFL reductions, but dont ask for things that compromise your own safety or the safety of others.

There is an ever increasing number of female commercial drivers on the road, the OP, I dont doubt, would suck up any training and pass a test easily.
I have an HGV1, ADR, HIAB, Forkilft, PSV, PSV towing, and have passed driving assessments at many major companies,......yet i have got to take a test to drive a silly arsed little scooter.........it hurts, but its the law. Good luck with whatever you decide:thumb:

OP
OP
M

Mummyto3

Free Member
Aug 24, 2012
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Are you planning on buying a very large motorhome then? If its over 3500kg its not going to be much fun as a daily driver for you........a little cheap runabout should cost very little and also be very cheapo to run - much cheaper than using a 3500kg+ motorhome for daily running about. Parking will be even less fun with a very large vehicle, especially if you are not used to one of that size. You could also look at downplating a vehicle to 3500kg which may leave you with a little less payload, but without the hassle and expense of having to get a new licence. Having said that, I certainly would not begin to consider using our motorhome as a daily driver as its just far to big for that, at over 7m long.

If you have a fully licenced driver with you in the vehicle, I don't see why you cannot drive it -the test is apparently going to be made easier for people wanting a C1 for non-commercial use, ie for driving motorhomes over 3500kg mostly, I would think.

I know what you mean about the daily running around and that'll be at a minimum. Basically taking the kids to gymnastics lessons 3 times a week. It's 30 mins away and the sessions are 3 hrs long. Can't afford to run 3 vehicles sadly. Insurance for my 52 plate Zafira is just under £1000. We're just off the M60 and insurance is a killer!

We're after a swift sundance 630L which is 4000kg and isn't small. :RollEyes:

OP
OP
M

Mummyto3

Free Member
Aug 24, 2012
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Do you know of anything similar to the sundance Brian? We've had a really good hunt so far and that's the only 'space' that would realistically work for us. A 6 berth with a good sized U shaped lounge. If spending around 30k we need to get it right.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
otherwise stick to the sub 3,500 kgs

As said in the posts anything bigger than 3,500 kgs is not much use as a run around. Eben my RV at 23'3" is 5.5 tons all up. But that is the yanks for you... Not much good as a run around.

There are many motor homes under the 3,500 kgs or 3.5 tons... out there. Otherwise it will cost you a fair bit to get the C1 but then you may also want to add the E to it so you can haul a trailer then you can go mass up to 8.25 tons.

Bob

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I know what you mean about the daily running around and that'll be at a minimum. Basically taking the kids to gymnastics lessons 3 times a week. It's 30 mins away and the sessions are 3 hrs long. Can't afford to run 3 vehicles sadly. Insurance for my 52 plate Zafira is just under £1000. We're just off the M60 and insurance is a killer!

We're after a swift sundance 630L which is 4000kg and isn't small. :RollEyes:

Oh dear, you can't be serious about wanting to use a 4000+kg MH as a local runabout / mums taxi, surely? It just isn't feasible, honestly. You would be better off waiting a while longer and saving for a little runabout - you don't say what age group you are in, but your Zafira insurance sounds really expensive - do you have penality points or previous accidents??. Insuring a small car costs us around £200. Maybe lower your motorhome aspirations a little to accommodate the small car. A small, simple car like a little Skoda or Fiesta or similar, small engine, low tax and should be much better insurance rates than the Zafira.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
From what little I have seen of Mums taxis outside skools
This little Moma aint going to get within a mile and a half of skool with a 640:Eeek:
So the Kids might as well walk:Doh:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have a post 97 license and had to take my C1 training and test.
I was angry about it until I took the course.

I learnt to drive in a tiny 1Ltr rover that I could almost fit in my pocket. To then be allowed to jump straight into a 7.5 tonne 12 Mtr vehicle is ridiculous.

There was only 6 years I think between taking my two tests and the driving style for a large vehicle is totally different. The things that stick in my mind most about the course was;

Extra Mirror work. Mirrors are so important in a large vehicle and the stress placed on this as opposed to a car test is unbelievable. Also extremely necessary.

Road Positioning at junctions is different. You have to take account that the back wheels don't follow the front wheels when turning. Also you have a large swing out. This all matters at filter lanes and other junctions.

Reversing. This has proven to be the most valuable part. I am a solo motorhomer and it taught me how to reverse my 10Mtr very wide Bus into a gap that was 18" wide on each side of the vehicle using mirrors alone and stop within 2' of a wall behind me.

The C1 test is far more rigorous in my opinion than a car test and much harder to pass. I managed it after a day and a half training with the test on the afternoon of the second day. I did have prior experience of driving tractors on a farm when I was much younger which may have helped (or not)

As I said, I was angry at being forced to take an extra test at the time but since doing the course I realise it is common sense now and highly recommend that anyone moving from a car to a larger vehicle should take at least 2 days training even if you don't take the test. It will make you a much safer driver.:thumb:

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Could not agree more with the recommendations for taking the test,what you learn is far in advance of the car test. I took my class 1 some 35 years ago, then a two week course.Although it lapsed some time ago due to change of jobs, soon as I jump in the motorhome it all comes back, as others say positioning, observing,and the main one continually checking mirrows, I think at the time you were expected to check every 10 seconds, and you would fail if you didn't!. I think the test at that time was 2 hours,luckily I passed first time::bigsmile:riving2:::bigsmile:riving2:

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
As a retired pcv instrutor(london buses) I have to say you will benefit if you take the full course.Just look at some of the young lads just passed test in a car, next day out doing multi drop in vans they cant comprehend the size of. As said before it will teach you more awarness and be safer for you and your family.

OP
OP
M

Mummyto3

Free Member
Aug 24, 2012
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Oh dear, you can't be serious about wanting to use a 4000+kg MH as a local runabout / mums taxi, surely? It just isn't feasible, honestly. You would be better off waiting a while longer and saving for a little runabout - you don't say what age group you are in, but your Zafira insurance sounds really expensive - do you have penality points or previous accidents??. Insuring a small car costs us around £200. Maybe lower your motorhome aspirations a little to accommodate the small car. A small, simple car like a little Skoda or Fiesta or similar, small engine, low tax and should be much better insurance rates than the Zafira.

I'm 31 and have no convictions/accidents and have 10 years no claims and yes my insurance is friggin expensive!!! £300 more than when I first started driving and lived in Mansfield, Notts.

It's living right next to M60 motorway in Manchester that's pushed it up so high. Joy riders paradise.

Got a few quotes for MH insurance and it's cheaper than my car by a few £100. Tax is also cheaper than my car. Need a 7 seater car so a little one wouldn't be an option.

School is near enough on the doorstep so that's not an issue. So as for my 'mums taxi', it's only 3 trips out a week where there's ample parking space and I have permission. We don't think we can warrant having an extra vehicle just for a few trips out a week. I know it's a great big thing to driving and parking and trust me I've thought long and hard about it.

As for aspiring too high, does anyone know of a model that's less than 3500kg which is a 6 berth with 6 belts with enough room for 2 adults, a teenager, 3 kids and a dog? I can find one but you might know.

We're not doing this on a whim and are thinking very hard about everything and want to be sure and exhaust all the problems that arise before handing 30 add grand over. I may be right, I may be wrong but I'm just trying.

End of essay! :Smile::Smile:

Leaha.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Our 7 metre, six berth coachbuilt was our only vehicle for about six years.
We never had any problem using it for shopping or general day to day running about.

My wife was driving it when she was eight months pregnant (no power steering!) with the other three kids on board.

::bigsmile:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I learnt to drive in a tiny 1Ltr rover that I could almost fit in my pocket. To then be allowed to jump straight into a 7.5 tonne 12 Mtr vehicle is ridiculous.
As I said, I was angry at being forced to take an extra test at the time but since doing the course I realise it is common sense now and highly recommend that anyone moving from a car to a larger vehicle should take at least 2 days training even if you don't take the test. It will make you a much safer driver.:thumb:

I had the reverse experience ::bigsmile:I only had a M/cycle license when I went into the RAF
in 1956.
I had instruction and passed my RAF 'B' license in Germany driving a 3 ton Magirus Deutz lorry.I subsequently drove vehicles up to, but not including, HGV all over Germany.
On my return to UK I had to take a test to drive a car-I failed first time for being too 'confident' ::bigsmile: On my 2nd test I got an 'advisory' that I should drive in a slightly more 'positive' way ::bigsmile: What's a guy to do eh!
Mike.

OP
OP
M

Mummyto3

Free Member
Aug 24, 2012
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Our 7 metre, six berth coachbuilt was our only vehicle for about six years.
We never had any problem using it for shopping or general day to day running about.

My wife was driving it when she was eight months pregnant (no power steering!) with the other three kids on board.

::bigsmile:

It can be done then? :Smile:

Feel for your wife at eight months and no power steering.::bigsmile:

Leaha.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I'm 31 and have no convictions/accidents and have 10 years no claims and yes my insurance is friggin expensive!!! £300 more than when I first started driving and lived in Mansfield, Notts.

It's living right next to M60 motorway in Manchester that's pushed it up so high. Joy riders paradise.

Got a few quotes for MH insurance and it's cheaper than my car by a few £100. Tax is also cheaper than my car. Need a 7 seater car so a little one wouldn't be an option.

School is near enough on the doorstep so that's not an issue. So as for my 'mums taxi', it's only 3 trips out a week where there's ample parking space and I have permission. We don't think we can warrant having an extra vehicle just for a few trips out a week. I know it's a great big thing to driving and parking and trust me I've thought long and hard about it.

As for aspiring too high, does anyone know of a model that's less than 3500kg which is a 6 berth with 6 belts with enough room for 2 adults, a teenager, 3 kids and a dog? I can find one but you might know.

We're not doing this on a whim and are thinking very hard about everything and want to be sure and exhaust all the problems that arise before handing 30 add grand over. I may be right, I may be wrong but I'm just trying.

End of essay! :Smile::Smile:

Leaha.

Before I went fulltiming I used my 8.5Mtr Euramobil as a daily runabout. Not an issue if you know what you are doing.

Used to do 3 runs a week to ASDA in it.

As you are carrying children I think it is even more important that you take the training though. You will really appreciate the difference it makes to your reverse parking which you will need to do in a large vehicle. The added safety to your family will be of major advantage as well.

Good luck with your hunt:thumb:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp

The big problem for you is going to be finding something under 3500kg that has enough payload to actually allow the family to get into it with you. :Smile:

Five people, a dog and all your gear weighs a ridiculous amount and most 6-berth Euro vans have a ridiculously small payload.

As you have a healthy budget, why not spend a bit less on the van and, as Gromett and others have recommended, do the Category C test?
There will be so many more vans to choose from.
And then you can sing this every time you go out, like our kids do: :thumb:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3VN54M1OXA[/ame]

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
I use my 24' motorhome as my runaround when OH needs the car. Mind you, we do live in the NE of Scotland where the pace of life seems more relaxed and less frantic.:Smile::thumb:

Phil

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Does anyone know if I'd be able to drive provisionally with my other half with me who does have the entitlement on his licence?

Yes but only in the UK, provisional licenses are not valid abroad.

Ian

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
Dont forget that motorhome insurance is usually quoted on limited mileage and some insurance companies wont insure for commuting.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Yes but only in the UK, provisional licenses are not valid abroad.

Ian

Correct but would still have to do a medical to obtain the provisional licence.

First thing I would like to say is all the talk of making the C1 test easier, I have covered two or three times on other threads......the only difference is they will drop the need to do a theory and CPC test (if over 21) and also more than likely the hazard perception test but that will be it........they will not lower the standard for the practical test.....just won't happen.

Having said that please forget the C1 do a cat C same cost and you get two licences......if you want to use it commercially then you can once passed......there are extra test involved but they are easy and don't add much to the overall costs.

Bobs information on the C1 + E licence is wrong, if you pass both tests then your allowable train weight will in fact be 12 tons but the prime mover can weigh no more than 7.5 tons.

Please feel free to call me and I will give you all the information in a form that is easy to understand with average costs (they do vary a bit throughout the country) then you can make an informed decision.....please ignore my mate says......I hear more rubbish spoke about licence aquisition than a bit and that is sometimes from so called professionals.

My mobile is 0797 475 8989

All the best Rick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back