C1 licence option

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DavidG58, Aug 29, 2014.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Our daughter has come across a 'loop hole' for obtaining a C1 extension and the towing extension that I don't know the number for

Apparently, due to a court ruling it has been deemed unfair that just down to date of test you are restricted on what you are allowed to drive, as the test was identical either side of the date

So if your job does or might require you to drive either above, if they write you a letter that can be sent to the DVLA and they have to add the relevant options for free

Now I cant see why that should only be applied to a working scenario, if the above is a fact and not myth, it would seem equally unfair that if I had 2 children who passed their tests either side of the critical date that one could and the other couldn't borrow our MH

I am actually quite glad that neither of them can (at the moment)

Anybody else heard about this

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I never trust loopholes.

3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Been trawling around looking for a defined answer to my question, nothing yet

But I have found this comment on the DVLA site regarding size, this relating to height

There’s no height limit, but if the motorhome is over 3 metres tall you must have a notice showing the height where the driver can see it.

The DVLA state the width does not include mirrors and the length bizarrely does not include the bumper, then maybe the height will not include sat dome, which in our case makes us 3.2m high

It makes perfect sense that the driver must know the height of their vehicle, but we don't actually have a notice on view are we breaking the law? Looking out our Dymo label maker next, wonder how big the notice needs to be?

4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

yes you are breaking the law . there are sizes that the sign must be as well.
    it became law in oct 97. visit a good truck shop they have the signs for sale or might give you one if your lucky.
    40mm letters if in feet inches
    if both imp and metric then they must not differ by more than 50mm.
    but just get a proper sign .

• Like Like x 2
  5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Thanks Alan.

It was always something I was going to do, I will now

Do you think the fact the 'real' height of the MH is only 2.9 would come under the same measurement as the width / length rules which exclude such additions as mirrors / bumpers

David

6. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

The height referred to is the overall height of a vehicle and its load, so if this goods vehicle requirement does apply (not checked) to a motorhome, the Sat dome would be included.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SMB

SMB Funster

Thanks for that, I knew about the requirement but didn't realise it had to be a certain size.

8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

many thanks both, I have decided to post a new thread to highlight the height issue specifically as this thread only started as a C1 reference

glad I started it though

David

9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

yes its a running order height measurement .
    can say i have never known anyone get pulled for it but its far better to be as squeaky clean as we can .

as to the licence issue i havnt heard of a way round it . but love the b+e getting round the weight restrictions . laugh about it regularly .
    always willing to learn new things though so keep us posted should you find anything we can hit authority with .
    we do have to watch the watchers !

• Like Like x 1
  10. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

I actually hope that it's a myth .....i think the law is a good one ...i know from my own experience at 17 where I passed my test and 3 weeks later towed a 21ft car transporter trailer through the centre of Glasgow and caused absolute mayhem as I hadn't a clue what I was doing

I think it's crazy that someone can pass there test in a mini and straight away drive a large motorhome or tow a caravan it was madness

Don't get me wrong im glad I passed my test before the law changed ....but hypocritically it needed to change

11. gibbon

gibbon Read Only Funster

I wish there was a way round it, it costs a grand for the course & subsequent test!
    According to Mrs Gibbon anyway.
    I don't think it's a good law at all. How many on here knew they'd be driving what they do now when they passed their basic driving test?

12. vwalan

vwalan Funster

they still can . well almost .
    pre 97 drivers and the b+e drivers before 19-1-13 can have a vehicle up to 3,500kg gvw and tow any weight trailer so long as the train weight of tow vehicle isnt broken .
    a down plated 7.5ton vehicle still keeps its train weight so it could be 12 ton .
    i laugh i think its authority at its best.

13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

the test could not have been identical but the fact is, nobody ever took the test even if it was........C1 and C1+E was included in your standard car test up to 1997......grandfather rights.

14. vwalan

vwalan Funster

thats what op is on about they never lessened the test.
    cant think there is a get out but i do like exemptions if there is every one should use it.
    at 17yr old you didnt get the 3.5ton upto 7.5 ton . but got it automatically at 18yr old .
    i rember at 18 driving 7.5 ton bedfords and sometimes driving some a bit bigger . the only way of telling was the number of wheel studs . many a time took the wrong vehicle .

15. pappajohn

the test would never be made easier Alan.....that was the point of making it a separate test in '97.

stopped folks jumping in something without proper training.
    the new test then allowed the driver a higher train weight of 12 tons as they had to be properly trained

16. vwalan

vwalan Funster

they already had 12 ton train weights though before 97 on a b+e.
    come on you do have to laugh.
    i try my best to understand the changes but really they dont make sense.
    bit like when they took away coach/bus licences off folk without telling them . in 91.

17. pappajohn

agreed Alan but we are talking C1, or presumably the old HGV3 pre 97.....with restriction 107.
    B+E is a good option but you're still restricted to a max 3.5 tons prime mover.

18. vwalan

vwalan Funster

nothing to do with hgv 3 .
    before 91 it was covered with your cat.A, pass. that covered 3.5 to 7.5 ton . that ran upto 97 when they changed it .
    in 91 hgv 2/3 disappeared to c+e limited to drawbar trailers , or c ,rigids .
    c+e was artic or class 1 old style .
    it all changed again later.
    before 91 you could drive any bus coach ,double decker on a car licence not for hire or reward .
    it really is a minefield .
    one day they might get it sorted but dont hold your breath .

• Like Like x 1
  19. pappajohn

one day they might get it sorted but dont hold your breath .

not in our lifetime Alan.

20. vwalan

vwalan Funster

even rick lost his coach bus licence in 91 . i still have some of the leaflets they tried to hide from us .
    it was then i got involved in all this licence stuff . i remember going on lots of rallies and demo,s about it all.
    mind i made some good friends and contacts at our local dvla and vosa plus some at swansea . once it quietened down very handy .