C1 7.5 LICENCE

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by flatpackchicken, Sep 22, 2014.

1. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

Don't panic everyone, just wanted you all to see the new law on driving vehicles between 3,5t and 7.5t Professionally, ie carrying a load and getting paid to do it, and as motorhomes do not carrying a load except private stuff and the driver does not get paid for driving mh then this ruling does not cover motorhome drivers. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

DVSA has reminded drivers that they now can’t legally drive a 7.5 tonne truck professionally even if it’s on their driving licence unless they have completed the Driver CPC.
    Drivers issued with their car licence before 1996 have a C1 entitlement on their licence allowing them to drive professionally a vehicle up to 7.5 tonnes.
    However, with the passing of the Driver CPC deadline earlier this month, the entitlement no longer stands unless the individual completed the mandatory 35 hours of Driver CPC training.
    A DVSA spokesman confirmed to CM that “although a person’s C1 entitlement remains on their licence, if they didn’t have a CPC they would not be able to drive the vehicle professionally (unless covered by one of the exemptions)”.
    Exemptions include taking a vehicle for test, or one in use by the emergency services or army.
    The reminder comes after a warning from DVLA that professional drivers must carry their Driver Qualification Cards on them at all times.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

If your a 1st aider or drive a fork lift this can count towards it so might not be as bad as you think.

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Drivers issued with their car licence before 1996

DVLA/DVSA at their best.........they dont even get the date correct.

It is pre Jan 1st 1997.......not before 1996.

But what more do you expect of an organisation which is not fit for purpose.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fragle

Fragle Funster

You need to complete 40 hrs training for cpc card some are charging £80 per 8 hrs. But this is only required for professional drivers

5. Al-Di

Al-Di Funster

35 hrs is the requirement 5 x 7hrs,

Alan,

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fragle

Fragle Funster

Still need a dinner break. Working time directive (y)

7. sadlonelygit

sadlonelygit Read Only Funster

did you know that
    Belgium
    Bulgaria
    Denmark
    Greece
    Luxembourg
    Netherlands
    Portugal
    Spain
    Sweden
    and now france have extensions on the CPC eligibility period. basically only us and the irish have done it, germany aren't doing the CPC as they have a better system in place!

8. The Dude

The Dude Funster

CPC is a farce - husband has just completed his and as long as you attend 5 courses you can attend the same course 5 times. So for example, if it's more convenient for you to attend a specific course that you have already attended it still counts towards your CPC qualification of 35 hours. Think hubby did Health and Safety twice just because the date was more convenient. More Government badly thought out twaddle!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Having held a class 1 HGV licence since 1971 and driven trucks since the age of 15 on a quarry face and having driven on several of the worlds continents I find it rather strange that some young chap can tell me how to do my job. Jobs for the boys and another cash cow for the government springs to mind. Am just wondering what they could possibly teach me in 35 hours ;).

• Like Like x 2
  10. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

Totally untrue my dear. Each 7 hour course is different. If what you say has happened then the provider of the CPC course needs to come up with some answers.
    I've recently completed the CPC course by a company in Rossendale and their presentation was first class. No matter how long you have been driving there's always something that crops up to give you a reminder.
    Since reaching 65 I've had to have a medical every year to carry on driving HGV class one vehicles, at least I know that all is well medically. I'm now into my seventies and still work as and when it suits me.

11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

how to suck eggs ? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Don't knee jerk, folks.
    It's not new, been a requirement for new commercial drivers for some years, now applies to all professional drivers in scope.
    It only applies to Commercial driving for vehicles exceeding 3.5 tonnes MGW.
    It doesn't apply to motorhomes.
    Why worry about it?

For those that have knocked CPC, I agree wholeheartedly.
    I's a nonsense.

13. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Rolandrat,
    The Dude's statement IS true.
    The same course can be undertaken a number of times.
    I've found the auditors know little or nothing of the content of the courses, They audit the paper chase, timings and breaks.

Ivory55,
    Hi, Colyn.
    The business of crediting First Aid, FLT etc. to CPC isn't straightforward.
    It can only gain credit hours if the particular course is also registered as a CPC course at the same time.
    There is no Accreditation of Prior Learning accepted.

14. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

Does this CPC thing also apply to recovery trucks as my brother does all our recovery work as part of his job, I did tell him to check but he didn't seem to be that bothered about it

15. glyndwr

glyndwr Read Only Funster

I am totally baffled by all these laws regarding weights and trailer towing which I assume includes caravans , I have had several discussions with friends and nobody seems to be sure of all of it , I passed my car test in 1971 and motorcycle in 1978 I became a ADI in 2000 and hence did the advanced test for driving instruction which is three part and was up on all relevant laws regarding driving and licences , most friends don't know the weight of their vehicle or max weight that vehicle can legally carry , for the average person on the road it can really be baffling .

16. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Yes.
    There are 7 exemptions, recovery vehicles isn't amongst them.
    At work we get many recovery drivers doing ADR courses, which they put towards CPC.

17. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Hi john , I was close I knew my fork and first aid counted. Are you at Lincoln ? If will look out for you. Colyn

18. FULL TIMER

Cheers John I thought as much I'll give him the good news.

19. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Colyn,
    Yes, we are at Lincoln.
    Hope you and Jill are well.

Fulltimer,
    He can get more info from any training provider, DSA or JAUPT.
    All in the phone book / on the web.

20. FULL TIMER

Thanks I'll get him to check he seems to think that because the recovery side of things is a very small part of his work and not his main job he doesn't need the CPC but it still needs checking out