waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
I think i have at last decided what to do with myself over the next few years LOL, well i hope a bit sooner. The thing is i have wanted to go over to Spain on a driving holiday, but now as i have got this Portuguese vehicle i think its a good idea to go there instead, well aswell, so i can visit a few car breakers for parts for it, i havnt told SWMBO about that bit yet so sshhh LOL

At first it was a 5th wheeler i wanted but its way to expensive for me to build it properly, so the demountable came along, but then i came across this caravan which looked ok at first, now it was cheap for what i offered him for it so i wasnt bothered what was underneath, i was going to renovate the C`van as its a nice looker.

This is my pride and joy which i have been using in the last month or so for my off road toy aswell as everyday car.

tn_IMG_3123.jpg

And the C`van i was going to fix up

tn_IMG_3216.jpg

tn_IMG_3212.jpg

tn_IMG_3214.jpg

tn_IMG_3215.jpg

I like the van but as i was ripping out it got worse and worse, then over the few weeks i have had it, and still with the idea of going abroad and towing a c`van the idea came back to do the demountable camper for the UMM.

I am still deciding if to use the whole caravan body and parts, electrics,cooker, fridge, cupboards etc etc, or build a new body and use the accessories, the thing is i dont want it looking like one of them campers where it looks like a c`van just dropped on the pick up, i think i can make it look half decent though.

Most demountable have a rear door but if i use the c`vn body then i will be able to keep the door where it is, on the side, i will need to shorten the back end and loose the rear kitchen as the overhang will be to much i think. But also keep a small loo room.

I have been wanting to do some proper measurments but i have once again lost my beloved tape measure...like i do.

So keep watching and see what happens:winky::winky:

Wolly n T

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
if a garden shed can be used why not a caravan

As most MHF members that go to Malvern each year... there is a pickup truck with a garden shed on the back... it has a wagon wheel on it and a few arrows.. so if they can use a garden shed why not a caravan.. we have seen this mismatch before in europe and MMM (magazine) often has photos that subscribers have sent in of different type finishes they have seen on there travels.

Be interested in seeing the end result ..

Have fun

Bob

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
first thing, whats the payload and rear axle limit of the UMM ?

looks to me like around 1/2 ton

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I am still deciding if to use the whole caravan body and parts, electrics,cooker, fridge, cupboards etc etc, or[HI] build a new body and use the accessories,[/HI] the thing is i dont want it looking like one of them campers where it looks like a c`van just dropped on the pick up, i think i can make it look half decent though.

Wolly n T

I prefer your second option (highlighted) .. use the c/v as a doner, and built a bespoke box . Not only will it look better but will be stronger and much less likely to develop leaks..

Caravans depend on the furniture for rigidity , once you start altering it will lose the integral strength the furniture provided..

I've seen quite few caravans grafted onto flatbed trucks and never seen one that I thought looked good. .. go for a bespoke cabin .. you know you want to.. :thumb:

OP
OP
W

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
Hi Bob, thats the thing now, i have seen some contraptions around and they dont look nice one bit to me, morso SWMBO, she doesnt even like to be in Marmite much, god knows what she is going to do on a 5000 mile trip :roflmto:

Not being posh or picky, but i like to have something that looks ok aswell as practical, before it is said, i like the look of Marmite.......now:roflmto:

On the project, i have been looking at measurments as i nipped to the local diy rip of shop and got another tape measure, now the c`van will go nicley length ways but it sticks out 10 inch either side from the pickup, i could narrow it, but the rear end is a whole plastic section and alot of work to narrow it down, so i can still use the sides from the c`van and get some either ally sheet of do as i was for the whole body and make it from GRP sheet.

So still deciding realy on the body, the bit that is swaying me to build my own from scratch is the benefit of my own design to spec.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hiya bob we have been doing it for years over here. there was a company called cracamp i think it was used to advertise in the mmm mag years ago. heres one of my mates examples done on a merc 207 van chopped and a caravan slipped on the back. you have to look at old mmm mags the company i think was north devon /somerset way.
this one was done in the late 90,s . pic took on taghazoute beach maroc. but it came from fleetwood .

Attachments

• img071.jpg
    img071.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
OP
OP
W

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
As Allan has shown they can look ok, but not often, the reason i am more for the self build body.

So one vote form ScotJimland:Smile:

The payload is 1100kg.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it is the wheel arch that is the issue

As Allan has shown they can look ok, but not often, the reason i am more for the self build body.

So one vote form ScotJimland:Smile:

The payload is 1100kg.

Yes I have seen some good ones and some bad ones... the good ones tend to have the caravan wheel arch where the back wheels are on the pickup.... I do not see the issue with being wider if you have mirrors that allow you to see behind.... my Winnebago has a wider body than the cab.. so it is not unusual.

I think John has hit the nail on the head with the maximum weight the truck can carry.. if it is a 1/2 ton then you will not be able to have a massive load.

I think the build a purpose built one a better way to go. When I was talking about a shed.. I was saying we have even seen that. But also there is a lot of backup demountables on the market now. Perhaps a copy of one is the way to go... then you could build it light in weight.. use jacking legs to take it on and off the pickup... to buy one can be expensive...

by the way I like the truck.. looks the business .. is it 4 x 4???

Bob:thumb: p.s read post before mine after I had already posted and note the payload.. that is respectable and I am sure you could make something to fit it.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
wayne that pic doesnt really tell us much.
but the wheel arch can be put where ever bit of pimpled ally or use your imagination. . tried to get more info on the company that did them .i knew i shouldnt have got rid of years of magazines .
you can adapt most tings to suit and make it look ok . my mate used one of those rear panels from another old van to finish his off at the back . nice bit of kit those rear panels make it look pro.
actualy there is a old telecom box been put on skids on ebay .look at demountables . was only 50 if no one else bids . might be a good base for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
Yes Bob, a 4x4 with hi/low t box and 4x2 with LSD:thumb:, dongs daglys off road, enough to to show the LR boys how its done ::bigsmile:

I had 750kg on the back the other week and it was great, pulled brill, and that was with the engine not putting out quit well, it needs a good service i think, injectors, turbo and pump clean out.

Good to see a fan aswell, a lot say `what the heck is that thing`

it grows on you:Smile:

OP
OP
W

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
The good thing is Allan is the the c`van wheel arch is in line with the UMM wheel arch, but then as said the body is 10" wider than the pickup so you will see the wheels in there LOL
Well thats untill i fit the big tyres i am getting for it::bigsmile:

I can always use the sides and make a new top and rear...........OOooo decisions decisions:RollEyes:

Oh and the c`van only weighs 660kg, so once rebuilt i think it wont be far off the same.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
Decision has been made, i am goig to make a new shell from scratch, i will be using the cooker/sink, fire, windows, door and frame, electrics, cushions, and a few cupboards etc etc. The chassis will be used to build the boat boat trailer, so good all round still.

I was going to have a side door on the new body but now as it will loose a few feet of space, i am going as all and have a rear door with a rear loo/wash room.

And i have found some jack legs i can use

Link Removed

These will have the wheels cut off and have a foot plate fited, but the wheels will be kept so then they can be refitted inpalce of the foot plate so then it can be moved around at home easy on the pound /drive to be tucked away in the corner. The jack legs will also need to have new brackets welded to them as i will be having them removable from the lift legs/uprights which will swing down. If you know what i mean.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
wayne .normally they have a wide piece of box steel across the front. thats what the front legs slip into . the rear can be worked similar .the front legs either fit vertical or horizontal for storage.
jack l;egs are easy made from lots of jacks . scrap yard would be a place to go. or use a farm jack .this can lift each point in turn and be used for other things .even a winch.
give a pm. if you want more info. tried posting pics but its not working .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hopefully this as worked one is my old suntrekker and the other is some sizes of the later style .you may be able to see how the legs fit . .originally they use a short piece of box either side .i fitted along piece as it seemed better. i have had 3 suntrekkers they are great. always looking for another if its cheap .might fit one on my truck. have thought about a bt box but they can be a bit large to lift.

Attachments

• img009.jpg
    img009.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 55
  • img076.jpg
    img076.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
W

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
Hi Alan, thanks for that kida, i know the idea of how they fit, just cant say in text lol. i have had and used Hi Lift/ Farm jacks in the past when off roading and i am not keen on them realy, also i will have a winch fitted to the UMM :winky:

The main concern i have at the minute is if to build the main structure from ally or steel, there wont be much to it but still, it will save weight, which is a big point i want to think of.

OP
OP
W

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
I did have the plan to use these type

Link Removed

but as the others in the previous post have more lift ( more the better to me ) then i will make a mounting bracket as the these.

Come to think these have enough lift anyway:RollEyes:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, i thought those demensions could be usefull to you . at least we know they work.
i would do a box steel frame and then either ally or these days i use plastic coated steel from one of our local roof companies . try a google on claddco. go to prices then drop to sheets .
this is ideal as its a finished product . use rivets and its a new looking great box . looks right as well. will take paint but get the colour you want and its job done.
must be someone doing it near you.
i bought a lot of seconds a few years ago but bright red .thats why i have a red door on my trailer .might paint it one day.

OP
OP
W

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
I deliver to a company that dies the said roof sheets, never though of using that, i was planning on GRP, either as in a complete outer lamination or seperate sheets, as in making and using 8x4 sheets, i will pop in next week if i remeber and see what they can do about the roof sheets.
I also go to a company that makes there own refrigerated bodys and they make there own panels, grp laminated to insulation, you know what i mean kida. I am trying to get hold of the guy who is in charge of that department to see what he can do.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes .its a case of what you can get. as these days its normally trucks i play with the flat roof sheets work well and have that caravan wrinkle look .
styromax is that insulation with a smooth side on both sides .thats ideal but i think its pricey.
ideal if you can get it and the formed corners that just push/glue in place. be intersting to know what they say and the price.
the ex prison cell trucks use a similar thing .
some suffer with delamination . we cover them in the roof sheets . use big long peeling riveta that get a grip on the foam and the ply big spread outs on the inside. also ideal if losing the cell windows . but the styromax stuff is easy to work with. let us know how you get along .

OP
OP
W

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
Will do Alan, so many ways of doing it make sit hard to decide,b ut in then end it all come down to cost doesnt it.

I can build the body from GRP for around £500, thats inc insulation. Thing i dont want is it to look like a box van or refridgerated wagon with ally edging/corners, would be nice to have nice round corners but the preformed are way to expencive, so i would make my own and either Sikalfex them in place or use Epoxy.

I just neeeeed ot get on with it instead of faffing with ideas.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
for pre formed rounded corners in plastic nice and cheap just use household guttering cut in half lengthways on a bandsaw

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes but they do nice corners that fit in all directions . not sure of price but they are nice.
even for doing the luton bit .makes it look real factory finish.

OP
OP
W

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
Got a few prices now, it looks llike the shell will cost maybe £700 inc jack legs , give or take a few quid.
And weight, unfitted out maybe 400kg. I am confident to keep it below the 700kg i want.

50x25x2mm steel for the main chassis/frame and then 25x25x1.6mm for the rest along with 25x25x wooden battens, this has worked out at £160 inc small brackets, and the fibreglass £250 inc consumables.

I need to gte on with ripping the rest of the c`van out now so i can get on with the chassis.

In mean time i am still planning the trip to Spain, maybe enough time on the Portugal, that is the plan.

I am even makiing the effort on the lingo

Duas grande cervezas por favor ( think its that lol)

the main phrase

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
Got a great find today, a great time and money saver, i was going to collect moneys from a chap i know that works at a commercial body builders, i was also going to collect some buffalo board to make the body molds for sides, well what did he have in a lock up but some GRP sheets, i forgot the proper name but it saves me a few hundred quid and a load of time.

tn_IMG_3277.jpg

tn_IMG_3278.jpg

They are actualy roof panels with the ally supports removed, i didnt have time or the room to get a full size measured but i got 8 foot x minimum 24 foot::bigsmile:

He has a complete roof panel with all supports and edging, its transparent though, but after fitting it should be good, the only problem is that it is 14 foot x 7.5 foot, will be fun getting it home.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Looks like you have a damp problem already:Eeek:
Is that Nemo in that roll :Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi yes that stuff is great on roofs .far better than ally or steel .it stops the heat getting through when in the sun. i was going to put alleyon mine instead a few years ago .the local truck box folk told me no stick with the plastic . was cheap as well 175 quid for 8ft a about 30ft. mines only 20ft so have enough for a shed roof as well.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
even better if you can geta whole roof frame as well.that would make the fitting easier.
also see if he as the wall fittings .mine just glues down and is held around the edges with a u shaped edging thats pop rivetted . you can change my roof in a couple of hours . your mate will know where to get all the frame work bits i should think.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back