C Class driving licence training & test

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Papa Smurf, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Member

Okay you big home owners - where did you go for learning to drive to pass the class C licence?

2. Thepips

Thepips Trade Member

I did mine with Big Wheelers in Reading. 4 days training plus the test for £750. Haven't gone back yet to do the +E.

Regards
    Doug

3. sammclouis

sammclouis Account Deactivated

well i dont own a big home but i do have my C and C+E licence & i did my training in and around shrewsbury shropshire with:-

Brian Dulson,
    Tel: 01691 623039

..head wrecking in rush hour but im sure there are much worse places...anyway i think some may debate that you even need a C classed licence to drive the large motorhomes.....but i wont comment on that...YET!!:Laughing:

sammx

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  4. GeorgeTelford

GeorgeTelford Deleted User

I have always thought that anyone with a motorhome over 7.5 tonnes should have a C Licence, it really should be compulsory :Rofl1:

5. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Lucky mines a little'un then. [​IMG]

6. des

des Read Only Funster

Did mine with Westgate training in Aldridge, who have since been sold. Can provide a phone number of a first class trainer in the w mids if anyone is interested.

if thinking of a C+E, recommend using wagon & drag rather than artic. easier to keep off the kerbs. strangely, can have licence to drive an artic without ever being in one!

des

7. Supertractorman

Supertractorman Read Only Funster

A little tip for those going for C1E or D1E, or in fact anything larger, go for a Saturday test at a rural testing station. You will find far less vehicles on the road, no commuters rushing to work, less tippers and skip wagons charging about on tip and run, plus the Examiners seem more relaxed on overtime.:Wink::Wink:

8. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

Taunton Training Centre

Taunton Training Centre - five day course £1000

Super Course - run by a chap who is building his own American Eagle 40ft RV. He knows his business!

01823 272497

Dick

9. justme AKA Grath

justme AKA Grath BANNED

Reputable

Hi Papa.
    |Just go to a reputable instructor in your own area.
    Contact the local VOSA office or HGV testing station for reputable names and try to get one to one tuition as much better than having a cab full and quicker.:thumb:

10. justme AKA Grath

justme AKA Grath BANNED

Low cost

Eat your hearts out as I only paid £120 for my class 1 (C + E).:thumb:
    But I guess some one will better that with Grandfather rights:Rofl1:

11. docted

docted Read Only Funster

But where did you do it?

12. keith

keith Funster

Yep, got mine free in 1965 :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

13. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Member

I just came off rusks in 1965.....

14. moandick

Class C + E Licence

The only fly-in-the-ointment now appears to be that the old HGV Class 2 or 1 (the C + E) may not be necessary in order to drive an RV, no matter what length or weight!

According to Jane from Destination RV and the RVDA - the DVLA have finally accepted that an RV is not an heavy goods vehicle because it does not have the statutory 'more than 8 forward gears', is not subject to Tachograph laws, is not subject to drivers driving restrictions and IS subject to a CAR MOT!

The end result is that the RV can only be described as a motor vehicle (car) rather than a heavy goods vehicle - therefore the driver should be subject to a car driving test rather than an heavy Goods vehicle test!!!!!!

I personally think that anybody who believes that they can climb out of their family car straight into a 14 ton, 40ft long RV and drive it safely - without a proper course of Instruction - needs their head examining let alone their driving skills!

I don't think that an HGV test is necessary but maybe an adapted PCV Coach test?

That is for others to debate - I am satisfied that I am a better, safer driver for having done the course and passed the test!

Dick

15. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I have had C and CE and C1E entitlement on my licence since they issued that plastic one. I wrongly assumed for years that this was provisional entitlement.
    I decided I wanted a +7.5t motorhome, I know that the driver licence issue for motorhomes is a grey but decided that I would take the C test anyway. I booked a theory test and crammed for three weeks, and learned all about knots and tarpaulin lashings etc

When I turned up to take the theory test the examiner checked my licence and looked at me as if I was stupid. I was.:Blush: He explained that my licence entitlement me to drive anything. Even those 40 ton monsters as long as its a draw bar trailer and not articulated. I discovered that I had these licences via grandfather rights after passing the old HGV3 test in the Army back in 1978.

So the heaviest vehicle I had driven in the last 20 years was my 4.5 ton AutoTrail I then jumped straight in an 11t RV. To be honest after 30 minutes of getting used to the dimensions it was a doddle.

Do I think that you should have to take a test before you get in a motorhome over 3.5t? YES most definitely. Am I glad I didn't have to? you betcha:BigGrin:

16. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

And to add insult to Injury you drop the JAM from your title:Rofl1:
    Geo

17. olley

olley Funster

Hi Dick whats 8 gears got to do with being classed as an HGV? The HGV I took my test in in 05 only had 6. The test now requires it to have 8, but that's only a test requirement not I would have thought an essential to being classed as an HGV.

Olley

18. Suzy

Suzy Funster

My understanding is that it is a weight issue. If you drive a vehicle over 7.5 tonnes irrespective of whether it is goods carrying you need to have a C licence if you tow you need the +E unless I am very mistaken. :Wink:

19. moandick

8 Gears forward

Absolutely spot-on, Olley - what I was trying to get at (in a short way around) was that having to take and pass a test in a right-hand drive vehicle with manual box and at least 8 forward gears - did not and could not equate to driving a left-hand drive RV with an Automatic 'box' with only 3, 4 or 5 gears.

The other thing which (I think) is becoming more apparent - and I am probably definitely going to get shot down in flames here, because I am only saying what I have heard from others) is that quite a lot of HGV's now have 'automatic' boxes - whether they be fully auto or pre-select or whatever, I don't know. And come what may, I still can't appreciate why I had to learn to sheet and rope a load in oirder to drive an RV! Suppose I could always use the skills to cover the overhead roof LPG tanks :Doh:

Dick

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  20. GeorgeTelford

GeorgeTelford Deleted User

Hi Suzy

Thats what DVLA would have you believe, reality is that the legislation doesnt agree. DVLA cannot supply a reference to the legislation that supports this view.

Also the CPS could not point to legislation that they tried to prosecute the only ever case with.

The only licencing section that a motorhome fits into is heavy motor car (B licence)

George