C & CC the Friendly Club!!! and summer pricing - Ouch (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Presently touring the South coast prior to catching ferry over to France next week. On a THS at the mo run by the WM DA utilising the rally field on the C & CC site at Monkton Wyld, Charmouth, £15 pupn with ehu. Off to the New Forest tomorrow for a few days phoned and booked this morning, age concessions given plus small mid week discount friendly banter over the phone, £12.71 pupn with no ehu.

OH wanted a site handy for Portsmouth with ehu, laundry etc for a couple of days before the ferry. Chichester was her favoured choice, phones up site, male voice on other end asked for 2 nights no problem says he that will be £58.90, no age concessions as high season prices apply! not wishing to buy a pitch quips I was met with a stony silence. No choice I had to pay up, mentioned we were catching a ferry, at what time he asked I replied 20.15hrs, you must vacate your pitch and be off site by midday came the very patronizing voice, wondered if we could park up somewhere to while away a couple of hours, I REPEAT OFF SITE BY NOON came the reply. Obviously not all wardens believe in the "Friendly Club" motto.

Wish the C & CC would sort out their pricing policy its a nightmare, we've been away over 2 weeks now and were given concession rate at Boroughbridge and as mentioned above for New Forest.

No wonder we prefer rallying and THS at these prices, OK rant and winge over, only wish this torrential rain would stop we are on grass with a slight gradient to run up onto the gravel track in the morning, could prove very entertaining :-0

We came down to Charmouth from Malvern to catch up with an old friend who I sailed with in the Merch for many years, 27 years since we had seen each other, took us out sightseeing and for a meal in the glorious sunshine yesterday an absolute pleasure to catch up for a blether after all those years. :0) and well worth the detour.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
These so called clubs are nothing of the sort!
Just a captive audience to sell very expensive pitches to thats all we are.
Someone is obviously making a very nice living being chief exec cause I cant see that the vast increases over the last 10 yrs has been all ploughed back into the site networks.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
In their defense I must say the site here at Charmouth is a stunner with what looks like all new facilities. But agree with you Berni the prices are a rip off and why take the pee with differential pricing in that school summer holidays are almost twice winter prices.

We are also CC members and checking today some of the pricing In this area is truly buttock clenching. :-(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Just cancelled CC membership - not worth it IMO and experience. No doubt others will disagree.:notworthy:

Adrian & Alison

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 2.1
Exp
5ys in Europe
Just cancelled CC membership - not worth it IMO and experience. No doubt others will disagree.:notworthy:

I cancelled too - not worth the cost.

Us too .. Last year we stayed on a few CC sites .. personally i/we didn't like the way we were treated .. clean = yes . Friendly = No (not the other campers) far to regimental for us i'm afraid

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We gave the C&CC the flick this year, find a site you like, go through all the rigmarole of making a booking, get to pay! find out the price expected, pick yourself up from the floor and cancel!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we first had a van we used CC sites but only use them now if there is no alternative. We've been members over 9 years but are thinking of not renewing last year as we hardly ever use their CLs either and their rally arrangements are so convoluted.
We've been C&CC members for several years and have never used a main site but membership is worth it for the rallies/THSs and occasional CS use. The same is true of the MCC. We will keep up membership of both.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Cancelled the CC the other day. Waste of money for us as won't willingly stay on any of their sites again and the CLs by and large don't seem to care if you're a member or not. The C&CC membership renews in January. Will make a decision about that one nearer the time but the same applies with their sites. The one thing that might convince me to pay that one is that the owner of one particular CS that we like does insist on membership.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The one thing that might convince me to pay that one is that the owner of one particular CS that we like does insist on membership.

The very reason I retain membership of the CC ..

as you said, many CL owners don't bother, can't say I blame them, but several we use always ask for membership number and card when we arrive..

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We gave the C&CC the flick this year, find a site you like, go through all the rigmarole of making a booking, get to pay! find out the price expected, pick yourself up from the floor and cancel!

Agree about the pricing. I really like their Chertsey site but I can't bring myself to pay what they want me to.

Last time I checked it was something like £70 for two nights.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
ha hah Chichester CC&C:(

I had the cheek to turn up for a week with a 6.5 meter motorhome having only booked a 6m pitch [total oversight as I didn't realise it 0.5 m made a difference]
The warden came out with a tape measure [thats a first never been measured before] and announced I couldn't come in, I was too long and should not have lied on my booking
I refused to move as I had wife and two kids on board and it was 730 in the evening....... a stand off!(y)

Lucky for us the other warden [wife of ] came and sorted the situation out, they relented and allowed me to pay £310.... yes thats the cost of a family at Chichester for a week with the CC&C

I braced my self for fowl looks all week but they were fine.......... strange to say the leasto_O

Will I renew after this......:censored:

these people need to realise I am a customer not an inconvenience

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We lapsed our cc membership as decided not worth it for rate occasion we use the sites. Will probably let c&cc lapse when due for renewal as not used any sites yet this year!

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I wont renew my C&CC membership but will my CC. I find the prices so high for C&CC this year! I also dont like the restrictive booking system and you have to cancel 30 days before arrival!

On another note we have used

http://www.sunnydalefarm.co.uk

Before a ferry, very nice site with everything you need. :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Agree about the pricing. I really like their Chertsey site but I can't bring myself to pay what they want me to.

Last time I checked it was something like £70 for two nights.
Blimey and I thought €50 for three weeks in France last year was expensive.:)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We ditched our CC membership last year, hate their sites & wardens, but kept if for the CL's, but for one or two nights a year made it expensive.
Have kept the C&CC changed to web only as it saves £5 and stops the junk mail (their magazine), only kept it as this year I qualify for the 50% discount and we do go down to the New Forest at least once a year. Also often make use of the 15% discount at Cotswold.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We're members of both. . Love a lit if their sites and don't mind their rules at all. The pricing is a bit mad but people pay it and they are often booked up completely at peak times.
We prefer the c&cc because they have a very good policy towards our disabled daughter (special membership)

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Jan 9, 2013
Newbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
And Stewart - you didn't mention your experience of booking/rescheduling Brittany ferry crossings with one of the Clubs! Glad to hear that you're having a good trip - and are now seasoned French explorers.

Happy travels.

x

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
And Stewart - you didn't mention your experience of booking/rescheduling Brittany ferry crossings with one of the Clubs! Glad to hear that you're having a good trip - and are now seasoned French explorers.

Happy travels.

x
Hi Helen lovely to hear from you again, Another St Malo crossing for a 6 weeker exploring Brittany and the Vendee. Presently on a 20 day rally with the C & CC at La Garangeoire, near St Julienne-des-Landes, had a week in Brittany before reaching here then at the close of the rally have almost 3 weeks to do our own thing which will be weather dependant. We are having a ball, this rally started yesterday and it's a hoot, fabulous location massive pitches and glorious weather. You guys keeping well!

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Lucky for us the other warden [wife of ] came and sorted the situation out, they relented and allowed me to pay £310.... yes thats the cost of a family at Chichester for a week with the CC&C

What exactly do you get for that kind of money ? - is that £50 a night?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I wont renew my C&CC membership but will my CC. I find the prices so high for C&CC this year! I also dont like the restrictive booking system and you have to cancel 30 days before arrival!

On another note we have used

http://www.sunnydalefarm.co.uk

Before a ferry, very nice site with everything you need. :)
Same here. We found that on the whole, C&CC facilities had gone down, the wardens mostly seemed p***ed off, (and it showed), plus I hate being told where to pitch. "No, I don't want to go next to the kids animal playground, I want to go near the cliff top............"
Will stay in the CC, at least your getting clean and (mostly) up to date disabled facilities.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Same here. We found that on the whole, C&CC facilities had gone down, the wardens mostly seemed p***ed off, (and it showed), plus I hate being told where to pitch. "No, I don't want to go next to the kids animal playground, I want to go near the cliff top............"
Will stay in the CC, at least your getting clean and (mostly) up to date disabled facilities.
That's not our experience of c&cc facilities btw. . And they provide a better service than cc for disabled members.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
What exactly do you get for that kind of money ? - is that £50 a night?

good question! we did 8 nights , so £38 a night, travel lodge prices:confused:

what do you get?

we needed to be in that location
you get a lawn mower every morning, you get pitched exactly on a peg
you are cheek and jowl with the next person and its a 'compact site'
very clean site and toilets

its very ordered, the warden watches everybody, any strangers [visitors] get challenged
I was quizzed about the number of kids and their ages, so, as the oldest went sailing for 5 days I asked for a pro-rata reduction as they charge per person /per night :LOL:

Its not for me as we tend to camp with purpose, i.e. sailing or car meets, fun meets, shows etc, this means you pitch adhoc and respect those around you
Cheek and jowl on a clean and tidy postage stamp.......no thankso_O

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back