C&CC site at Folkstone (1 Viewer)

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Hi everyone,has anyone been to the C&CC site at the warren Folkstone I have just booked for one night in June before going on the shuttle the next day but I am now reading there is a very narrow road to the site .My querie is ,is it ok for a 8metre long mh or is there a better site for the shuttle.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Yes the access is a bit awkward but it should be fine if you take it slowly. It's a nice place to stay with the beach just a few yards down the hill. When you go there make sure you don't turn into the campsite at the top of the hill by mistake - I think its called Little Switzerland.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
While it should be possible at 8m you might find the sharp turn into the site at the bottom of the steep and narrow access road quite awkward.
Getting out of the site can be equally difficult of traffic coming down the hill forces you to stop. If you have a Fiat based tag axle and don't have traction control you may well experience wheel spin trying to get going again.
It's a nice site with good facilities once you get there and we have stayed there once but won't be returning because of the access (we are 9m).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We took our 6-metre coachbuilt van down there when on holiday in the area in July, just to look for future reference. The site itself was lovely, and the staff friendly, but as a C&CC member I was somewhat disappointed by the state of the access. Yes, it's steep and very narrow in places, which they can't do a great deal about - but the road surface was completely broken up and the hedges at the side of the track overgrown, making it even narrower - the latter unforgivable in my view. How much effort would it take to keep them trimmed back? Probably they don't own the track, but could still keep the brambles cut.

Anyway, I'm sure with care you should be OK for an overnight. But personally I wouldn't stay there for a longer holiday because coming and going in the van would be too challenging up and down the long access track each time we wanted to go out. Shame, because it is a stunning location otherwise.

A couple of other points - they don't allow caravans, because of the track. And they don't have a car park outside the barrier for late arrivals or early departures (before 7am, from memory I think).

Hope you get on OK.

Mike

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I can recommend the CL we often stay at 5 minutes from M20 J9 and 15 minutes from the tunnel .....
Address: Ninn Lodge Farm, Ninn Lane, Great Chart, Ashford, Kent TN23 3DA
Phone:01233 650696

Hard standing and open all year.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If it's just for an overnight before the train I would do one of the following:

1. Use Canterbury Park and Ride. It's about 20 minutes from the tunnel, is safe, costs £3 and has water and waste.

2. Don't bother overnighting, get straight on the train and find an aire on the other side to get your head down. Don't worry about what time you've booked for, just turn up and you will get the next available

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
with FWD you might have to back up the slope to get out it is very narrow and winding through a cutting in the hillside.
I wouldn't with a van longer than 6mtr.

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
I stayed 11 nights last June. The approach to it does come as a shock as there are a lot of potholes on the way up, then you go over the top and begin to go down. I'm sure many people think they have gone the wrong way but worth it when you get to the site at the bottom (I think). I'm sure others will let you know whether it's the most convenient for one night.

Veronica

premiere99

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
Medomsley, County Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
30+
Good luck with the C&CC at Folkestone, I will never be going back there, half way down the road bends to the right and some idiot had parked on the inside of the bend and I was unable to get round, I tried reversing in a 2.3 Ducato up the hill but was a no go due to it's useless gearbox. Finally had to walk down to the reception area and the warden then took his tractor up the road to drag the offending car out of the way (he does that quite a lot) but fortunately the inconsiderate driver had returned and was "unaware" that it was a private road and he (and others) should not park on the road. Finally arrived on site, pitched up and spent 2 days with the smell of burning clutch in the van...

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We only have a small van but wouldn't dream of going there , especially at weekend when the locals all park up down the lane, saw two vans with burnt out clutches from trying to reverse back and one bloke having a right do at the wardens , trying to claim.
As someone else said best thing is get straight on the train and park up on the other side.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If it's just for an overnight before the train I would do one of the following:

1. Use Canterbury Park and Ride. It's about 20 minutes from the tunnel, is safe, costs £3 and has water and waste.

2. Don't bother overnighting, get straight on the train and find an aire on the other side to get your head down. Don't worry about what time you've booked for, just turn up and you will get the next available

I'd go with this too - but the other way round for us. Would rather be over the water and find somewhere over there than stay in UK.

Although if you get there early enough Canterbury is worth a visit and the £3 charge includes the bus into town for up to 6 people.

Denise

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We quite like Folkestone as it goes. If there's someone parked then it's going to be a pain buy otherwise you shouldn't have a problem getting on or out in a sub 8m motorhome.
Wouldn't consider it pre tunnel though. Canterbury P&R would be a choice... but a late train and an aire would be the best choice imho

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Thanks everybody great advice as always I think the warren is not for us we have booked little satmar caravan site on the advice of Fidget and will cancel the C&CC site tomorrow . Everybody's advice was very good and will try them next time we travel down south,thank again

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Probably a wise decision. Getting in and out of the C&CC site is an unnecessary hassle when you're going away.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
That's what we thought new van burnt out clutch frayed tempers ,to heck with that ,it's stressful enough going on holiday(only joking):)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
To add to all the other comments which I agree with, there no phone signal there either.
Wrong there is a good phone signal FROM France you charged at the Foreign rate Same at St Margaret's Dover Patrol Memorial.
Just be aware, the locals get fed up with it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We went in our 8.5 metre Flair which is also quite tall at 3.3 metres so a bit top heavy, I don't get phased by much as far as driving is concerned BUT I certainly won't be going back there again I thought the turn st the top was pretty dangerous, incidentally the track is owned by network rail, when we left the next morning I made Jen walk in front to make sure the track was clear.

Lovely setting though.

Martin

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
:(
Yes the access is a bit awkward but it should be fine if you take it slowly. It's a nice place to stay with the beach just a few yards down the hill. When you go there make sure you don't turn into the campsite at the top of the hill by mistake - I think its called Little Switzerland.
Yep we made that mistake in a 7.5 metre hired MH. Was an interesting 3 point turn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back