C.B. Radio (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
I have an FM set, found it really useful when en route to Spain last year as I was able to keep in contact with the other two vans.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
it always a good thing to have a change of clothes in your truck.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it always a good thing to have a change of clothes in your truck.
was it a LBD plus fishnets and 6 inch heels or was that just a nightmarish vision?:rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
oh dear have you been peeking. but you are right. I am a nightmare to look at what ever I am wearing. but no I don't wear 6inch heels.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just thinking of it makes me feel unwell:sick:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
oh good. I like to make people feel ill

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
After having problems with rot in my wing mirror arms, that resulted in taking all of my antennas off. I have had new arms made and have not got the CB antenna back on and the set working again.

I have a mirror mount for my ham gear but when I went to my box I found I didn't have any fitting with me to mount the GWhip. (80,40,20,10m) So I have to run the G5RV out if I want to listen to the RSGB news on 7.150 on Sunday mornings here in Spain. I have an Atlas120 but that seems to have gone faulty. I had brought the fitting for that though. Time for some fresh ham mobile antennas when I get back to the UK. At present I have a Slim Jim for 2m laid on the front bed in the van wired to the Yeasu FT-847.

What channel do people listen to on CB. I have always used Ch19 both UK and EU. Both seem quite dead and a scan brings nothing in either. It would be good to settle on a Motorhome Channel.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I dual watch on both 19's (UK and EU). Had a couple of shout backs when I have said hello out on the road. It beats just waving at your fellow motorhomers :)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
if more of you are going to put your c/b back into your vans. then I will put mine back in. then some one can pick a channel.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I was "on the road" all over the South and South-West in the heyday of CB. The Local Aldershot based Boots (the chemist) drivers called themselves the "Drugs Squad"!!!! As I recall.

Good fun, and was useful for traffic updates, In the days before Sally and Bobby!!! (radio 2)

There was one in my old R-V. used it a couple of times, but the most use was with a hand held, which SWMBO used to tell me when I was "too close" reversing. In the days before I got a rear camera!

Pete

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Yes we have a handheld also, generally used in areas with zero mobile phone reception, SWMBO will call me to remind me to buy something at the shop. In most cases I will already have purchased the item in question, but she feels it is helpful :D

escapee

Free Member
Aug 18, 2013
northants
Funster No
MH
ewift escape 686
Exp
since 2009
we have one which has both uk and euro frequencies and as said only really used in this country by off roaders and a few truckers and in france by a few farmers but found invaluable when we sometimes travel abroad in convoy with our mates easiest way of staying in touch especially when we lose each other

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Great idea to get Funsters back into CB!
I'm well out of touch as far as antennae go. Have a mostly GRP van, new(ish) with Peugeot cab. Mirror arms are 'plastic' too. How do I sort a ground plane? (Should really know this but it's years since I passed the RAE!).
Don't want cables running from the bike rack either!
Ideas lads?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Great idea to get Funsters back into CB!
I'm well out of touch as far as antennae go. Have a mostly GRP van, new(ish) with Peugeot cab. Mirror arms are 'plastic' too. How do I sort a ground plane? (Should really know this but it's years since I passed the RAE!).
Don't want cables running from the bike rack either!
Ideas lads?
I posted photos on here a little while back as to how I overcame this, I will find the thread in a mo, @Jaws uses a bonnet clamp I believe, also he appears to be the resident radio guru :D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I'll just repost the photo, here is where my antenna is. PS since this photo was taken, I have a new antenna with a tighter coil.
IMG_0388.JPG

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I posted photos on here a little while back as to how I overcame this, I will find the thread in a mo, @Jaws uses a bonnet clamp I believe, also he appears to be the resident radio guru :D

Dunno about that ! I did for a while run a radio repair workshop/radio and antenna parts supply department before I went on to designing and flogging various antenna's, but I am sure there are better qualified folk out there than me !

I would love to use a roof mount ( I have a large ally rack up there that would make a damned good ground plane ) but know full well it would end up clouting all sorts of over head obstructions !

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Oh my, brings back memories of DV27 on an upturned biscuit tin in the bedroom late at night running off a car battery under the dressing table bleeding all over next doors telly. :LOL:
Dominator arial nearly killed me fastening it to the gable end fascia board to get height.
AM sidebander, hundreds of channels, CB clubs to meet face to face, great fun then it all went legal and the muppets arrived and killed it.
We live in "sin city" as it had the highest birth rate in Europe in the seventies, brilliant.
Right that's me off into the loft, I'm sure my rig is up there somewhere :D

Mar 17, 2015
doncaster
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
I would love to use a roof mount ( I have a large ally rack up there that would make a damned good ground plane ) but know full well it would end up clouting all sorts of over head obstructions ![/QUOTE]
I have the same all trees low bridges and filling stations "twang twang twang"

im fully licenced ham and have vhf/uhf and hf in the motorhome when im stood and set it up (as i find it hard logging qso`s when driving)
i have the old cb in for when i am driving and now 11 meters/cb band is now all legal (am/ssb) or sidbanders if you like, it passes the time away quite nicely.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Welllll.. If you ever hear Rustbucket on ( usually monitor 19 UK ) that will be me..

Or if in the Norfolk area gimme a shout on either 145.500, NB ( 145.625 ) or AH ( 433.275 )

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Remember it well, managed to catch the southport lot on the skip, I was near inverness, had to send a postcard to confirm. Cant remeber my set up, but communicated from Cul-de-sac to Formby quite easily. Did do a few wind ups too though, sorry,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back