Bye bye Caravan hello Motorhome (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
Hi Dub Dog, like you we have been caravaners and took the plunge at the show and ordered a Bessacarr 494, don't get it until April/May, our decision though, we didn't think we would get to use it much during the winter months.
keep us informed on how you get on, we would be very interested.
That's great. Did you go with the intentions of buying a new one. What reason did you change from a caravan to a motorhome?

OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
:HelloThere:

We have been caravanners for 6 years

Then Motorhomers for 17 years

Then caravanners for 6 years

Now Motorhomers again for 3 years.

We loved both systems but have finally decided that the ability to "get up and go" swung it for us.

We also find that the journey is more of a holiday in a m/h. You see an interesting hill village and turn off the main road to take a look. Not so easy when towing!

Welcome and enjoy!:)
Thanks for the big hello. We hope we have done the right thing for the reasons you give. So here goes. (y)

Oct 13, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 (on order)
Exp
MH newbie, long time camp and caravan
That's great. Did you go with the intentions of buying a new one. What reason did you change from a caravan to a motorhome?
I went there to research the options, my wife didn't come, we had spoken about changing to a motorhome, maybe in a year or so.
We were offered a good price for our caravan and thought, why wait, so we went ahead and placed the order.
The main reason for changing is that we hadn't really toured with the caravan, basically we went to a site and stayed there, hopefully we will now see a bit more of Europe and the UK.
How about you?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
I went there to research the options, my wife didn't come, we had spoken about changing to a motorhome, maybe in a year or so.
We were offered a good price for our caravan and thought, why wait, so we went ahead and placed the order.
The main reason for changing is that we hadn't really toured with the caravan, basically we went to a site and stayed there, hopefully we will now see a bit more of Europe and the UK.
How about you?
Pretty similar story for us. We have considered a motorhome for a while now. More my wife really as I tow trailers most day so pulling a caravan was nothing to me. I also like the fact we can explore tiny back roads near the coast as I'm seaside mad. With a motorhome we are sort of restricted as to where we can go and explore, but I love the fact of moving around the country from site to site and having a bit more of an adventure. Also we have stayed on some sites we haven't really liked purely because the caravan and awning was all set up, now if we don't like it we can move on.
We went to the show with the intention of having a look inside and get a feel of a motorhome instead of on a screen at home. We also got a fair price for the caravan which we only bought in April this year.
Then we fell in love with the motorhome we have bought so happy days ahead. Hopefully pick her up next week or the week after fingers crossed.

OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
Well hello all out there. Just a quick update, We have a date to pick up our new baby which is only 8 sleeps away. I couldn't me more excited. Have been reading so much in here so hopefully our first trip away which I'm still planning will be the best ever. :Grin:

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Congrats I bet it will drag in :D.

Oct 13, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 (on order)
Exp
8 sleeps, so jealous, ours is still about 6 months away
When and where are you off to first?
Out of interest which dealer did you get it from?

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
We collected our Swift Escape tonight which is our first Motorhome (never had a caravan either) Ended up a few days early. Every day I phoned it moved forward a day so it flew by lol.

Had a chinese in it on the drive tonight as you do for first meal and Saturday we are planning our first night at a local site in the Peak District to test it out.

Very excited for the year ahead with it.

Googled your van after you said it was a swift and I see yours in ours with an extra axle and stretched a bit. Looks awesome. I dare say if it was just me and the missies we would have been temped by that style with the nice big double at the back. We opted for the Escape due the rear bunks for our little girl and maybe a 2nd.

As you say its about ticking as many box's as you can. Hope yours works out well for you.

Sausage44

Free Member
May 10, 2016
Bicester
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
New at it!
Yes I know what you mean. We've considered this for ages. Finally went for it at the Motorhome show at NEC and got a Swift Kontiki 679. Ticks all the right boxes for us. Can't wait to try it. (y)

Almost the same as us. Been caravanning for years then at the NEC we bought a Kon Tiki 625 (our 2nd MH). Pick it up in January.

OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
We collected our Swift Escape tonight which is our first Motorhome (never had a caravan either) Ended up a few days early. Every day I phoned it moved forward a day so it flew by lol.

Had a chinese in it on the drive tonight as you do for first meal and Saturday we are planning our first night at a local site in the Peak District to test it out.

Very excited for the year ahead with it.

Googled your van after you said it was a swift and I see yours in ours with an extra axle and stretched a bit. Looks awesome. I dare say if it was just me and the missies we would have been temped by that style with the nice big double at the back. We opted for the Escape due the rear bunks for our little girl and maybe a 2nd.

As you say its about ticking as many box's as you can. Hope yours works out well for you.

That's a lovely looking van. I love the Chinese on the drive idea, might have to give that a try myself. Have a good trip Saturday and let me know where you end up as I do live the Peak District so could be good for us to give ours a first run out.

OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
Almost the same as us. Been caravanning for years then at the NEC we bought a Kon Tiki 625 (our 2nd MH). Pick it up in January.
Well done. I bet you will be wishing the time away. I know I am. Bit of a bad influence that Motorhome show ;)

OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
Welcome and you are right when you say a new way of touring. Motorhomes are all about touring, caravans are set up and stay.
Best of luck from sunny Suffolk.
Phil
5 sleeps to go and yes can't wait to try this new way of holidaying. Looking forward to being able to tour more in one holiday than when we were caravanning. :Grin:

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
It is a 'new' way after caravaning. The best advice in your case is to leave as much ready to go material in the van, so it does not become a time consuming effort to get-up and go. We tend to add just a few groceries and our bed linen then go.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We make sure our bed is always made up! When we get back home after our break the bedding gets washed and a new set put on the bed immediately. Don't want the hassle of having to make the bed up before getting away!

Denise

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Welcome and you are right when you say a new way of touring. Motorhomes are all about touring, caravans are set up and stay.
Best of luck from sunny Suffolk.
Phil
Welcome Dub Dog. This is our sentiment from gillnphil too. Hopefully, this time next year we will be the proud owners of a MH or have one on order. Our last caravanning season awaits. Done it for many years but looking forward to the new experience(s). We have already had lots of advice from reading other Funster posts.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi there and a warm welcome to MHF (y)
Brian & Jo

OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
It is a 'new' way after caravaning. The best advice in your case is to leave as much ready to go material in the van, so it does not become a time consuming effort to get-up and go. We tend to add just a few groceries and our bed linen then go.
Yes that's what I thought would be a good idea. Then chuck a few essentials in on a Friday night and clear off for the weekend. Heaven.

OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
Today's the big day. We've bought the train tickets and we are so excited.
We had to delay collection as my wife's nan passed away so it's been a difficult couple of weeks. I wish she could have seen it.
We will plan our first trip on the train I think as we have so many ideas. :Grin::Grin:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Today's the big day. We've bought the train tickets and we are so excited.
We had to delay collection as my wife's nan passed away so it's been a difficult couple of weeks. I wish she could have seen it.
We will plan our first trip on the train I think as we have so many ideas. :Grin::Grin:
Enjoy.

Martin

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Martin take your time in the collection process.
Take your time on the first drive and stop over
and SMILE

Oct 13, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 (on order)
Exp
Sorry to hear about your bereavement.
Hope all goes well today and when you get a moment please post some photos of your new pride and joy.
:Grin:

OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
Sorry to hear about your bereavement.
Hope all goes well today and when you get a moment please post some photos of your new pride and joy.
:Grin:
Thank you. And we will send some pics later. If we get there that is :roflmto: (1st train cancelled)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back