Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
My 91 Hymer B544 has just developed a strange noise and associated concerns through the amp meter. The old Hymer has the habitation fuse box sited down at the side of the driver, When I started the van today there was a faint buzzing sound from somewhere around the fuse box. This was linked to the engine speed as the more revs the higher pitched buzzing. At the same time the amp meter was dancing between + and - in time to the buzzing.
Not a great explanation I know, but any thoughts?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
knackered relay by the fuse box:thumb:

OP
OP
Redjumpa

Redjumpa

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Thanks for the quick response. But I can't see any way of getting behind the fuse box and certainly can't reach from under the bonnet. The fuse box looks like it should slide out but can only move it about an inch!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I had a '92 B544,on a 2.5 TD Fiat. The fuse box is in the glove box,unhook the stay wire and that gives you space to access the box. There are 2 relays in there,both the same they are black cubes about 1" in size. One is for the fridge the other,I believe to be for 12v charging, If you have the charger under the seat,that could buzz due to the laminated sections on the transformer working loose.

OP
OP
Redjumpa

Redjumpa

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
I have two fuse boxes. The one you mention in the glove box with the relays behind it. This is the chassis one ie wipers, heater, fan etc and yes there are relays in there. The fuse box I'm talking about is the brown habitation one down by the drivers legs near the door. The noise is coming from around there. I'll post some photos in a while.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
I know that onw it is usually attached to the body by a couple of PK/self tapping screws through the carpet,but be careful the wiring is a bit 'mean' with little slack.

OP
OP
Redjumpa

Redjumpa

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
I know that onw it is usually attached to the body by a couple of PK/self tapping screws through the carpet,but be careful the wiring is a bit 'mean' with little slack.

That's the one. So does the fuse box come all the way out. I can only move it a little and then it's solid. Been reluctant to pull too hard if it's not meant to come all the way out.

Tried loading up a photo and failed miserably!!

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
That's the one. So does the fuse box come all the way out. I can only move it a little and then it's solid. Been reluctant to pull too hard if it's not meant to come all the way out.

Tried loading up a photo and failed miserably!!

It will come out a bit,pry it out gently with a wide bladed screwdriver, but the short cables will only allow it to 'hinge' forward just enough to work on. Another cause could be sparking on a contact,try a squirt of WD40.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
On behalf of Redjumpa (Graham), here are a couple of images he wanted to upload.

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Attachments

• Fuse1.JPG
    Fuse1.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 13
  • Fuse2.JPG
    Fuse2.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 14

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun