Buying/Selling Vehicles on Ebay can work (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
In the last 12 months I have

Bought a car at auction from a dealer on Ebay - no deposit, paid cash after seeing/trying car - half the price of a worse car seen at a local dealer(y)

Sold my Burstner for the same I paid 3 years before - classified Ad - money paid by bank transfer(y)

Bought my Eriba after auction finished on Ebay(y)

Just sold a car, classified advert, full asking price already paid by bank transfer, being picked up Sunday(y)

The only advice I can give is obvious

Meet the buyer/seller before parting with vehicle or cash
Get address and telephone numbers
See the vehicle
Payment (either way) by cash or bank transfer
If selling use classified option - cheaper - and genuine buyers will want to view
anyway

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
In the last 12 months I have

Bought a car at auction from a dealer on Ebay - no deposit, paid cash after seeing/trying car - half the price of a worse car seen at a local dealer(y)

Sold my Burstner for the same I paid 3 years before - classified Ad - money paid by bank transfer(y)

Bought my Eriba after auction finished on Ebay(y)

Just sold a car, classified advert, full asking price already paid by bank transfer, being picked up Sunday(y)

The only advice I can give is obvious

Meet the buyer/seller before parting with vehicle or cash
Get address and telephone numbers
See the vehicle
Payment (either way) by cash or bank transfer
If selling use classified option - cheaper - and genuine buyers will want to view
anyway
you forgot the most important thing when buying a car off ebay.always do a full HPI check.
and never meet people in service areas with cash in your pocket,you could end up getting mugged,then no car and no cash.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs

What do E.bay charge for a "Classified add with Best offer".. ?

And is that it.... once you put your add on and they take the money.... are there any hidden extra`s they hit you with ? :)

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
What do E.bay charge for a "Classified add with Best offer".. ?

And is that it.... once you put your add on and they take the money.... are there any hidden extra`s they hit you with ? :)

Wouldn't use best offer on a vehicle

If a buyer is serious he will view and then make an offer - 'best offer' before viewing, wont be their best offer................accepting a best offer might lose you other interested buyers

Just use classified - about £15 for 28 days - I think(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have sold via ebay no problem, its cheap and instant and your add is out there......

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Yes sold a couple of our cars on eBay no problems, brought our motorhome on eBay not as good as described but a good price and a long journey on the train and nothing I could not sort out, so went ahead with it but have brought and walked away when not as described in the past.
Only down is the high selling fees for completed sales.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Yes I agree, if selling be as honest as possible in the description and if buying do all the checks and only pay when satisfied and preferably when you have the V5 & keys in your hand, sold a Sprinter and the guy came to view it with £11,000 in a brown envelope and I am not joking just based on the description & photo's, with the help of google earth ect I did know all about him before he arrived off the train from Devon.
I bought my motorhome off ebay as well, same checks, on the day I paid the finance off direct to Black Horse on the phone from his house and paid him the rest on a debit direct to his bank.
All that is needed is common sense checks including all the details of the buyer/seller address etc

Deleted User
What do ebay charge in commission for a sale of say £10,000

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sold our last Hymer on an eBay classified, best way to get nation wide coverage and good results in Google search. Gets far better results than the freebee's such as Preloved & Gumtree.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have bought two cars (one Smart & one classic sports) and three motorcycles off eBay. All were bought unseen and paid for in advance using Paypal. All were auctions rather than classified or BIN. Every one was exactly as described and all were genuine sellers. I can't recommend that anyone else takes the chances I did but in my defence all were over 100 miles distant with two being over 200 miles away. I concentrated on the seller as much as on the item for sale and a number of potential purchases were abandoned because I couldn't satisfy myself that the sellers were all they appeared to be.

I'm up to 1600+ eBay transactions and I can count the number of bad experiences on the fingers of one hand. My financial losses in total are under £50. Not bad considering the savings I've made over more conventional methods of trading.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
The fees are high & some dishonest buyers & sellers but no selling site reaches as many people worldwide.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back