Buying/Selling Vehicles on Ebay can work

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Barclaybasher, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

In the last 12 months I have

Bought a car at auction from a dealer on Ebay - no deposit, paid cash after seeing/trying car - half the price of a worse car seen at a local dealer(y)

Sold my Burstner for the same I paid 3 years before - classified Ad - money paid by bank transfer(y)

Bought my Eriba after auction finished on Ebay(y)

Just sold a car, classified advert, full asking price already paid by bank transfer, being picked up Sunday(y)

The only advice I can give is obvious

Meet the buyer/seller before parting with vehicle or cash
    Get address and telephone numbers
    See the vehicle
    Payment (either way) by cash or bank transfer
    If selling use classified option - cheaper - and genuine buyers will want to view
    anyway

• Like Like x 5
  2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Totally agree. Ebay has always worked for genuine buyers and sellers. The biggest problem is sorting the wheat from the chaff.

• Like Like x 2
  3. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

you forgot the most important thing when buying a car off ebay.always do a full HPI check.
    and never meet people in service areas with cash in your pocket,you could end up getting mugged,then no car and no cash.

• Like Like x 1
  4. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

What do E.bay charge for a "Classified add with Best offer".. ?

And is that it.... once you put your add on and they take the money.... are there any hidden extra`s they hit you with ? :)

5. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

Sold my wife's Smart Car a few years back on eBay in 8 minutes! I was still sat at the computer admiring my " buy it now" advert when someone " bought it now"!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Wouldn't use best offer on a vehicle

If a buyer is serious he will view and then make an offer - 'best offer' before viewing, wont be their best offer................accepting a best offer might lose you other interested buyers

Just use classified - about £15 for 28 days - I think(y)

• Like Like x 3
  7. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

I have sold via ebay no problem, its cheap and instant and your add is out there......

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bluestar

Bluestar Funster

Yes sold a couple of our cars on eBay no problems, brought our motorhome on eBay not as good as described but a good price and a long journey on the train and nothing I could not sort out, so went ahead with it but have brought and walked away when not as described in the past.
    Only down is the high selling fees for completed sales.

9. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

Yes I agree, if selling be as honest as possible in the description and if buying do all the checks and only pay when satisfied and preferably when you have the V5 & keys in your hand, sold a Sprinter and the guy came to view it with £11,000 in a brown envelope and I am not joking just based on the description & photo's, with the help of google earth ect I did know all about him before he arrived off the train from Devon.
    I bought my motorhome off ebay as well, same checks, on the day I paid the finance off direct to Black Horse on the phone from his house and paid him the rest on a debit direct to his bank.
    All that is needed is common sense checks including all the details of the buyer/seller address etc

• Like Like x 1
  10. Borderland

Borderland Funster

What do ebay charge in commission for a sale of say £10,000

11. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Sold our last Hymer on an eBay classified, best way to get nation wide coverage and good results in Google search. Gets far better results than the freebee's such as Preloved & Gumtree.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

I took a chance and waited until the MH ended unsold and then approached the seller to get the deal

• Like Like x 1
  13. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

No commission if sold as classified - just the £15 listing fee

• Like Like x 2
  14. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I have bought two cars (one Smart & one classic sports) and three motorcycles off eBay. All were bought unseen and paid for in advance using Paypal. All were auctions rather than classified or BIN. Every one was exactly as described and all were genuine sellers. I can't recommend that anyone else takes the chances I did but in my defence all were over 100 miles distant with two being over 200 miles away. I concentrated on the seller as much as on the item for sale and a number of potential purchases were abandoned because I couldn't satisfy myself that the sellers were all they appeared to be.

I'm up to 1600+ eBay transactions and I can count the number of bad experiences on the fingers of one hand. My financial losses in total are under £50. Not bad considering the savings I've made over more conventional methods of trading.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Wombles

Wombles Funster

The fees are high & some dishonest buyers & sellers but no selling site reaches as many people worldwide.