Buying Older Model, Fuel Consumption Concerns (1 Viewer)

FrCrilly

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Funster No
Hi All,

I’m researching to buy a camper on a small budget. As I have adequate experience and knowledge of running older vehicles, I’m planning to go for a 4-5 berth from the late 1980s to the early 1990’s, most likely a Ford Transit due it being a common van with parts being more available. My plan is to do plenty of work on the van, make it reliable and then build the confidence to drive it for regular weekend breaks and also to tour it on the continent for up to 3 weeks of the year.

Something I have yet to research is fuel consumption. I’m concerned that with buying such an old vehicle, that I may find my travel plans unviable due to its gas guzzling properties.

If anyone has any tips or information that could help me deal with this concern, I am all ears. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance for all responses.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
All motorhomes are built on commercial can chassis cabs so there should not be a problem with mechanical parts from breakers.

Buy a diesel with power steering and check for damp. rot and rust are the primary concerns.

Peter

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The Transit is a good option,as long as you steer clear of the York engine,the turbo engine and the overdrive gearbox.
The ramair engine is the most reliable,the one with the bunch of bananas on the top.
Even if you buy one of the others,there are plenty of second hand engines available cheaply now to do a transplant with.
There is always the Merc engined models,but they do tend to be more thirsty even if more reliable.
Then of course you have the tried and tested Fiat 2.5 diesel,if you go down this route always go for the turbo,if you want to be frugal with fuel.
The none turbo Fiats were not very good on fuel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
oler models

hi and welcome,, up till almost 2 years ago i had a petrol talbot auto sleeper talisman,, 1985 model. driven with care, 28/32 mpg, driven hard 18/22. travelled all over europe. no power steering, only a problem parking in tight spot,, easy,, dont park in tight spot, the engines are bomb proof. the parts are still easy to get, not as many in scrap yards as transits,, ??? fibre glass body, the other bodies make them very cheap, so why not,, buy cheap. get breakdown cover, and spend the extra on fuel, wild camp or aires and you can do it just fine,, again, welcome and good luck,,,,:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
As peter said, damp rot and rust! The old ones have that aplenty - do lots of research, and learn what you can get for your money. The prices on older ones vary so much it beggars beleif. Keep your head screwed on, and look. Always remember, that however nice it looks, or appears - what else could you buy with that money??

To give an example, these are just two I have seen recently - suitability depends on your circustances, but it gives an idea of what you should be looking for.

D reg Ford Transit Holdsworth, 2 berth, 2.0l Petrol 130,000 miles. Rusty - £4,600

R reg Mazda Bongo 2 Berth, New Conversion, 56,000 miles, mint - £3500

It just gives a rough idea, both models have their strong points and weak points, but if you are after a two berth with no shower, then both would be suitable. The latter may hold its' value better and look newer - it also costs just over a grand less!

Upvote 0

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
If your worried about putting petrol in your proposed motorhome so you can enjoy it and it concerns you are you sure you can afford to run it at all??

Theres no point in buying something that you think you might not be able to run is there?? If your in doubt dont buy one then the problem wont occur will it??? :Doh:

Upvote 0

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi All,

I’m researching to buy a camper on a small budget. As I have adequate experience and knowledge of running older vehicles, I’m planning to go for a 4-5 berth from the late 1980s to the early 1990’s, most likely a Ford Transit due it being a common van with parts being more available.
You won't go far wrong with a Transit.

I own a 1993 direct injection diesel which makes it seventeen years old.......but, and this a is very important point to bear in mind, parts are still easily available both in the UK and Europe. Not only are they plentiful and cheap, you will also be able to source good used parts from many breakers. As an example there was a poster on this board a few months ago who could not even get a fuel filler cap for his five year old Fiat! Personally I find something like that totally unacceptable.

Transit engines are extremely reliable and will throb away forever and a day because they are basic, fairly crude engineering. Economy is good, damned good for a heavy vehicle (I get better mpg from the Transit than my 1.8 petrol Focus car). My Transit returns an average of 35mpg and have had as much as 40-42mpg.

Fancy engineering may look impressive or sound good.......until it breaks down and you have to start searching for the part which in some cases can only be bought on the other side of the globe. Thats no good and not much fun if you are broken down in some remote are of the UK or Europe.

Upvote 0

WESTERNSTAR1

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
THREE YEARS
HI.BUY A TRANSIT OR A MERCEDES AND IT WILL RUN FOREVER.
SLIGHTLY HIGHER OUTLAY WILL MORE THAN PAY FOR ITSELF.
WHO WANTS MODERN JUNK WITH DODGY GEARBOXES AND ELECTRONIC NONSENSE?
NOT US....::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Many are quite sceptical of imports parts, they are readily available now, and in the case of the bomgo/freda (ford version) they all run the WLT engine which is seen in the uk as the Mazda Pick up/B2500 van/ Ford Ranger. So if you blow a head, or a turbo, there are plenty around!

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2022
Funster No
MH
Ford autosleeper due
HI.BUY A TRANSIT OR A MERCEDES AND IT WILL RUN FOREVER.
SLIGHTLY HIGHER OUTLAY WILL MORE THAN PAY FOR ITSELF.
WHO WANTS MODERN JUNK WITH DODGY GEARBOXES AND ELECTRONIC NONSENSE?
NOT US....::bigsmile:
I have a ford autosleeper duetto 2.5 goes in to limp mode ture key of and on its OK

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I have a ford autosleeper duetto 2.5 goes in to limp mode ture key of and on its OK
Aaaahhhh yet another resurrected thread.. only 12 yrs old this one.🤣🤣🤣🤣
Oh and Welcome.. just noticed you a newbie.
Note dont worry about replying to an old thread.. a lot on here seem to be doing it now.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just because it's old doesn't mean it uses more fuel. I once had a small motorhome based on a PETROL transit and even that wasn't too bad for economy. It was also RWD which gave it good off road ability.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2021
Orpington, UK
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
We run a Glendale 2 berth on a Mercedes 310 2.3lt petrol /LPG conversion not a racing car but no slug either. Just watch out for the rust bug.

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I am waiting on the return of the " i am thinking of taking a lot of animals , but can only find really old Arks for sale , will they be reliable " Thread :)

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
I was looking at an older vw but dpriddler put me right on the mot adviseries which were a lot to do with corrosion
Am still looking
Love transits
Son wanted me to get vw but am still looking

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back