Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Evening

We have found the perfect motorhome for us at the NEC yesterday, thank goodness, (thanks to RoadRunner - free tickets) we are like two giddy kids. :thumb:

It is a Chausson Suite (Sweet) Garage, 5-7 berth, low profile. It is new for 2011 and they are taking pre-orders for March next year. Although, we are not in a position to buy at the moment as we still have ours to sell and we have the house to sell, this is definately the one.

We didn't really want to buy a brand spanker, drive off the forecourt and wave goodbye to thousands of £££'s - but is that only if you sell in a short space of time, would it be that bad if you kept it for years to come? I am a bit worried that if we wait for used ones to become available we will have missed all of next years holiday opportunities.

So my questions are;

What kind of deal should we be looking at? Is there a ball park figure off list price you should be aiming for?

What other if any pitfalls are there with buying a new one?

Are there any advantages of buying new?

Would we be as well looking to import, we don't mind LHD? (madbluemad said there is a thread on here on this but I can't seem to find it)

Secretly I would prefer new but I am a blonde woman!!! Thats my duty!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Hubby differs somewhat to me a tad more practical but we may not have much of an option, I don't think we can go that length of time without a MH.

Thank you for your wisdom :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
apart from the financial hit the only real drawback would be sorting any newness/teething problems that will, for sure, poke their heads above water.

recent year, used, should have had any sorted.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not much going for new and new model.

You take The Big Hit.

You run the risk of buying new bugs.

Why not wait a bit ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Not much going for new and new model.

You take The Big Hit.

You run the risk of buying new bugs.

Why not wait a bit ?

This is what hubby thinks but I am concerned my vitamin D levels will deplete if I don't get the French sun next year :ROFLMAO:.

We have still got to sell the other MH to make room on the drive for selling the house (would consider putting new one in storage for short period) till we are sorted in the new pad.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Well the only advice I would give is make sure you buy from a dealer near to you. Then when the new teething problems arise you wont have 300 mile round trips to get the little niggles sorted. Warranties are not like car warranties on motorhomes in that you can take it to any dealer.

mudmover

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
My Story.....it might help!

Same time last year we found the MH that ticked all our boxes @ the NEC.....

For nearly 1 year I waitied for a secondhand unit to come along....In the end I bite the bullet and ordered a 60 plate. My attitude is as long as the van gets used and we do not sell in first two years the drop will not be so painful.....

We have to drive 120miles to Shropshire next friday as we had a Veba pro reversing cam fitted which the dealer wired onto 12V live feed...The infra red LED's are flattening the battery.....They offered to rewire no probs whatsoever...BUT the story is even if a local dealer is more expensive, buy it locally!

Regardless of the few issues we had, i have no regrets in buying new. Its very exciting to have a brand spanker and its a good reason to use it!

If buying a fiat chassis you might want a 3 yr warranty :)

Good luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
As a matter of interest Caravannes Rapido Wokingham are now distributors for Chausson as well as Rapido.

A dealer I can recommend 100% for excellent pre-sale and AFTER sale service.

Martin and Paul know their stuff and dont duck and dive if you need assistance.

Peter

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Hi

We did exactly what you did and bought at the NEC last year at a great show price, But we were waiting for the sale of my mum's house to finalise before we could buy it, This never happened and we lost that van :cry:, But 8 months later the sale went through and we took a trip down to the dealer we put the deposit down with as they said they would hold it for us as long as we bought another, Anyway we went and seen the newer model which was better than the old and even though more expensive we still went for the new one,

We saved about £5-6k on list price buying cash with no finance so lossing out was not a issue even now i could prob return my money on the MH, Also buying new you can spec it to how you want, we struggled to find ones for familys with kids as we wanted bunks, We were also told these don't sell as well as fixed beds etc but you buy these to last not to sell months later so who cares,

In all if you want new buy new eveything has problems mine has had a few but that dont bother us as they will get sorted, At least if you get a problem with a new MH you wont pay for the repair buy second hand at it could cost you more in the long run.

And there is the other side of it being yours from day one and when spending this sort of money nothing beats knowing all your hard earned money and wishes have come true,

We love our 2010 Rolloerteam 707 and we made the right choice,

Just my bit as we bought new and glad we did.

Craig

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back