Buying new in N.Ireland

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by BreweryDave, Jul 1, 2014.

1. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Chap on site here has been working in Belfast recently.
    He tells me you can buy cars and Motorhomes there - new not used - at hugely discounted prices compared to the uk due to tax reasons. (Used vehicles are dearer than UK for similar reasons!)
    Had a quick look on google but there don't seem to many NI motorhome dealers over there - and from what I can see there isn't really a price difference - if anything - slightly dearer?
    He said the only downside is it would have a NI plate on rather than a uk date plate - which can be changed to a private plate anyway.

Anyone heard of this - or have any experience of it???

2. TM59

TM59 Funster

As Northern Ireland is part of the UK, it does not matter if you buy in Belfast or London. Same tax systems. Living here, let me assure you vehicles are just as cheap or dear as the rest of the UK. Not to say that some dealers may have bargains but then all dealerships do bargains from time to time. Hope this makes sense.

Different tax system and Euro is Southern Ireland.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I bought a Merc sprinter chassis cab new in Northern Ireland about 18 years ago. It was a lot cheaper than the UK dealers. I had the pick up body built on it in the UK. Maybe its changed since then.

4. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Great if your buying new, however, you have to ask yourself why the majority of UK insurance firms refuse to cover NI registered vehicles.