Buying medicines over the counter in France, Spain and Portugal (1 Viewer)

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We're hopefully off to the warmer climes of France, Spain and Portugal at the end of October and are trying to organise prescription medicines for 6 months.
Our GP practice won't give more than 3 months prescriptions - any more and it will have to be a private prescription. A bit annoying when Rex has a Pre-Payment cert for 12 months!:Sad: Would it be cheaper to buy them abroad?

Has anyone any experience of buying the following medicines over the counter in any of these countries?

Verapamil Hydrochloride ( Univer 240mg)
Doxazosin ( Cardura XL 8mg)
Bendroflumethiazide 2.5mg
Simvastatin 40mg

Would really appreciate some advice on this - I'm sure Rex isn't the only MHFunster with high blood pressure!!! :ROFLMAO:

All part of our steep learning curve!!!! :winky::winky:

Looking forward to your replies.

Marie :roflmto::roflmto:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its a pity you left the bag of medicines on the bus going home:Doh:,you will have to go back for another lot now:winky:
Geo

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Although Sandy has the same 12 month prescription pre-paid and I don't have to pay, we as you say can only get 3 months as a time. Sandy suffers from high blood pressure and has taken HRT and other drugs besides. We have never had a problem buying drugs over the counter.
However. If your Doctor (GP if you wish?) would give you a prescription? You could take it to a Doctor here in Spain and he would then prescribe them for you. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Thanks John that's very helpful.
As you no doubt remember that first long trip abroad is full of ifs and buts to keep you awake at night ( at least that's what I tell Rex when I don't get up till 10am!!:ROFLMAO:)
All part of the learning curve!! Just hope we don't fall off it!:Eeek:

Marie

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
When I was in France few weeks ago, I tried to buy antibiotics and ear drops over the counter. Good job the symptoms were not life threatening..... I wasn't able to buy anything without going to a French hospital to see a doctor, apparently.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

V

vanessa

Deleted User
No help for this time, but how about stock-piling ahead of your next trip? I'm sure doctors don't keep THAT close a check on how much you order, for most drugs at any rate.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back