MJG2001

Free Member
Feb 19, 2013
Saltburn
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
I suspect there are obvious disadvantages to buying a MH from some distance away BUT looking around all the best deals and offers seem to be from dealers in the Midlands and even further South. Dealers local to us in the North East don't seem to be as keen to offer the deals that those further afield seem to be offering.

Has anybody found it to be a real pain buying from a dealer some miles away, did travelling for any servicing/warranty work really prove to be too much of a hassle or is that disadvantage overplayed....?

thoughts welcome.

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
What are you after because springfields in bridlington is not that far and they have some decent priced MH's

OP
OP
MJG2001

MJG2001

Free Member
Feb 19, 2013
Saltburn
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
What are you after because springfields in bridlington is not that far and they have some decent priced MH's

Thanks for that - I had never even heard of them or the Trigano range.

Bridlington is not that far from where we are either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi New OR 2nd Hand?
new = close to you for them to do warrenty work --chances are you will have a lot ::bigsmile:
2nd hand = it pays to be handy but most problems will have been fixed ::bigsmile:
terry

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Go look at Cleveland motorhomes. Can't beat them for after sales.

Lin

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Go look at Cleveland motorhomes. Can't beat them for after sales.

Lin

I very nearly bought a hobbie from them I liked the atmosphere there laid back good sales team nothing too much problem to explain or demonstrate
And one thing that always leaves a good impression with me spotless area and workshops
I did not purchase the hobbie as we fell in love with the burstaner we have now
From another dealer

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi we recently bought ours from a dealer in Guildford and we live in Dumfries ans so far we have had no problems and save a good bit.

Apr 30, 2008
aldridge
Funster No
MH
waiting
Exp
8yrs
I live in the West Midlands and I've had my last 5 motorhomes off Cleveland motorhomes
by Durham Tees airport (162 miles away).
Because they always do me a good deal and their very helpful.
Plus if I've ever had any problems with my new van,which as only happened once they will alway's give me some diesel money for my journey.
They also send someone to pick my old van up and pick me up when my new van is ready.
They also deliver the motorhome if you don't want to pick it up.
'

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
bought our last kontiki from Cleveland m/h's.

excellent service throughout the whole purchase, except one staff member (probably/hopefully left now) who dealt with the financial side and preferred his version of what was correct...rather than the legal version.

hence we ended up very close to repossession

Another Lesley

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
North East
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
We have recently purchased from Marquis at Durham Road, Birtley. We got a good deal and an excellent PX. Jury is still out on the after sales....although to be fair, everything we want doing is being done, just seems to be taking some time.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Bought my last one from Robsons of Wolsingham - decent dealers.

Catherine

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suspect there are obvious disadvantages to buying a MH from some distance away BUT looking around all the best deals and offers seem to be from dealers in the Midlands and even further South. Dealers local to us in the North East don't seem to be as keen to offer the deals that those further afield seem to be offering.

Has anybody found it to be a real pain buying from a dealer some miles away, did travelling for any servicing/warranty work really prove to be too much of a hassle or is that disadvantage overplayed....?

thoughts welcome.

We now have a Autocruise Accent PVC which we got from Camper UK at Lincoln and as we live in Cottingham near Hull it wasn't a massive distance to go. However we bought our previous coachbuilt, a Chausson Flash 04, from Highbridge Caravans in Somerset about 250 miles away!!! :Eeek:

We did a deal with them at the February 2010 NEC show and they offered us £3000 more for our Rimor Sailer 645TC than anyone else did so even taking into account the distance it was a no-brainer and we'd heard good reports about them. We didn't go to them for warranty or services work as we managed to source an 'independent' chap who had been part of RDH motorhomes' service section (they were located near Nottingham originally) so when they 'folded' he had kept the Chausson authorisation 'live' so was authorised to undertake servicing and warranty work for them. This was great as none of the other companies who were Chausson dealers wanted to know, although they did reluctantly agree that they'd do the habitation servicing, but would NOT undertake any warranty work if they found anything needed fixing! :Doh:

If we hadn't found the 'independent' chap we'd have had no choice but to use one of the reluctant dealers and then go back to Highbridge if needs be for warranty work, but this was the risk we took and £3,000 would have paid for an awful lot of fuel! :thumb:

OP
OP
MJG2001

MJG2001

Free Member
Feb 19, 2013
Saltburn
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
Thanks everybody

- interesting to note that Cleveland MH's which is actually the closest dealer to us comes out quite positively both for service and sales.

It would hopefully be a new purchase so if frequent trips for warranty work were required while all the teething problems are sorted I can see the appeal of buying from close by.

Thanks again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back