Buying land to live on in a MH (1 Viewer)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Reactions: 68c

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
so how does this work when on seasonal sites then? we are on a seasonal site for 2 months and dont have to move:winky:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You need to register the site as a cl site. Which will allow up to 5 units.

You may go as rustic as you like, and only 'charge' a few pounds a night if someone wants to stay there. That way you get away with having huge toilet blocks and the like.

What many do, is buy a house with a few acres, get it registered as a campsite CL, using the buildings toilets/washroom facilities as 'open access', and putting in a couple of hook-ups.

The planning will be fairly straight forward in this respect - Especially if the house is listed as a small-holding.

They then sell the house, and can permanently stay next door, on their 'site':thumb:

The other way around is a market garden, but it is long winded!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I contacted the planning officer for Suffolk Coastal about friends living in their RV at the bottom of our garden, I explained that as they like to travel around Europe it wouldn't be there all the time. He didn't know the answer. :Doh:

My idea was to rent the bungalow, and live in the RV, given that idea up now, had a better one.

Olley

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
Move to inland Spain bye a small plot of land under 10,000 sq meters and move. best thing i ever did:roflmto:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
there are a number of 28 day rules that apply. If you have land that exceeds 5 acres then you can do what you wish on that land for 28 days a year, i.e. car boot, market , bangeing etc.
However under a ruling brought in in the peace convoy days, "anything" excludes camping.
Occupation of any land in anything other than a tent requires planning permission of one sort or another. Whilst the planner revel in granting permission to build a 1000 houses on a greenfield site, prolification of single dwellings in the countryside it discouraged. The planners "most of whom are too stupid to have opinions of their own" take the guide lines as hard and fast rules. so no chance.
The other 28 day rule applies to a CFL, CL or CS stating that a single vehicle cannot spend longer than 28 days on one site. So you have to leave and come back again. There does not appear to be a set time within which you must not return. So one assumes if you had a panelvan conversion that you used to travel to work in daily you could stay endlessly on a CL etc. By be aware those sites must be licenced.
I knew you could not resist this one :ROFLMAO::thumb:
Did I not read that MHF (Jim ) can grant you permission to be a certified MHF cl site :thumb: That would be problem solved = permission from MHF and water drains and leccy over the weekend, then claim it is your livelihood :thumb:
terry

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Just as a matter of interest, do you have any idea about costs for the water and leccy to be connected. It takes months to arrange, you end up doing most of the work and costs thousands (or in some cases considerably more depending on how close you are to the cables/pipes).

I would have thought the chances of getting connected at a weekend would be almost zero as its the connecting company that tells you when they will connect not the other way around. Also the chances of getting both water and leccy connected on the same day (or even the same month!!!) are zero as well.

Not sure how the gypos do it (probably do the connections themselves :Eeek:) maybe someone on here knows :Smile:

As far as i know you also have to have a postcode to get services connected (so they can send you a bill!!!) and this can only be granted by the council.

OP
OP
juliandavies

juliandavies

Free Member
Dec 12, 2008
Crystal Palace, London
Funster No
MH
29ft RV
Exp
18 months n counting
great set of replies - thanks all
seems that short of moving to the continent its a bit of a non-starter!
going tomorrow to move my RV from Redbridge (where they say they cant get the emissions sorted) to Gold RV in Hampshire...then hopefully back on the road!

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
going tomorrow to move my RV from Redbridge (where they say they cant get the emissions sorted) to Gold RV in Hampshire...then hopefully back on the road!

Did you not clarify the emmissions thing with Geo?? Im sure you are exempt from testing, I was!!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if yiou have land its probably better to use a genny or solar panels .water you can bowser in and keep in depositories like in spain . toilets dig a 2 chamber cesspit. or cess pool. nothing is ompossible just not as easy as it seems. we have loads here in cornwall doing just what is being mentioned but every now and again some get hassle. best to move before a court case then it ends . if eventually you do get in court plead ignorant .its not really defense but if you have been done before you are then marked.i know some that have been coming here in summer and drifting off in winter for years. some just never get hassle others lots.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
[FONT=&quot]Come to Bulgaria, land the size of a football pitch has old collapsed house on, so water, electric and mains sewer. And you can go east or west to see Europe. Price starts at about £1,000 and could even have grape vines with that.[/FONT]
Very true.

There is a MHF member from Wales who has made his base there permanently and it would seem the only disadvantage to doing this is the astronomical cost of insuring a motorhome on BG plates, should you decide to become resident.

That said, virtually everything else there is dirt cheap (at the moment!!) compared to the UK so I suppose the one disadvantage outweighs the many advantages.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Yes I know someone who did this in Carmarthenshire and when the local council found out they had to get off the land and is only allowed there for 28 days at a time. She owned the wood outright and it had water and a stone service road in and a small shed for the gennie.
So as everyone said its not easy, sad really they were not seen from the road and were not doing any harm to anyone.:Sad:
I know of someone who did exactly this and owned a small wood near Llangollen. Had a tree house, Tepee and old 'barrel roofed' gypsy caravan on the land.

Not sure if she hasn't now sold up but I can assure you she lived there a damned sight longer than 28 days at a time!

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
there is a well known family of 'travellers' in Oxfordshire who brought themselves a plot of land for the 'family' to settle down on. They have had no end of trouble from the council.
Does the guy have dreadlocks? If so, thats my cousins son! Looks a pretty scary guy but actually you couldn't wish to meet a more pleasant chap! Doesn't scrounge benefits either....he works on any labouring jobs he can get.

Also helps that his father is seriously loaded!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Don't be such a defeatist :Smile: Roger was telling me he had been trying for about 20 years :ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
You need to register the site as a cl site. Which will allow up to 5 units.

You may go as rustic as you like, and only 'charge' a few pounds a night if someone wants to stay there. That way you get away with having huge toilet blocks and the like.

What many do, is buy a house with a few acres, get it registered as a campsite CL, using the buildings toilets/washroom facilities as 'open access', and putting in a couple of hook-ups.

The planning will be fairly straight forward in this respect - Especially if the house is listed as a small-holding.

They then sell the house, and can permanently stay next door, on their 'site':thumb:

The other way around is a market garden, but it is long winded!

Planning not required for CL site. It is granted by the Caravan Club. Nothing to stop the owner staying on site permenantly so long as he/she moves off every 28 days. No reason why cant come back on the next day. However Caravan Club don't like approving CLs now if no residential house on land and it is visited periodically through the year by a Caravan Club official.

Selling the house at a later date and basing myself on my own CL is something I have considered but no guarantees as CC could take away CL status if they wanted to.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
I know of someone who did exactly this and owned a small wood near Llangollen. Had a tree house, Tepee and old 'barrel roofed' gypsy caravan on the land.

Not sure if she hasn't now sold up but I can assure you she lived there a damned sight longer than 28 days at a time!

Thanks Bulletguy, she just had her motorhome to travel in and a small caravan to live in, lived there for a month or so in the middle of the wood then got a letter saying court order to get off the land because she was living there without pp. Someone had told the council
and they didn't even bother talking to her. She had a house elsewhere but fancied a summer in Wales. Not doing any harm.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Many, many years ago I worked out a scheme for a couple with pretty well an identical problem. It was complicated, but ran like this.

They contracted to buy the land, which was roughly rectangular.Then, as they were entitled to do, they agreed to sell a small strip down the middle to a company they owned. The two large strips in front of and behind the company's land they divided into half a dozen separate plots. Then, they agreed to sell alternate plots to each of them as individuals. This was done, in writing, immediately after contract were exchanged with the original seller.

At this stage, we therefore had thirteen bits of land, and nowhere were two touching bits going to be in the same ownership.

There was the usual time between contract and completion - 28 days, but as it was to be a repetetive series of actions, so time wasn't a problem. The vendors had no option but to agree, but as a gesture of goodwill, my clients paid a contribution to their legal costs, which were not significantly increased.

This way, they never spent more than 28 days on any site! Of course, from time to time they went off in the caravan, and they did have rights of way and services for the benefit of each plot over every other plot. The plots were not fenced off.

I suspect the council didn't argue, in case they lost, and everyone did this. Certainly, I heard no more... but the fees were, I thought, very reasonable since they didn't have to pay for planning, or rates, etc etc...

Don't rely on this - the law changes, and it was a long time ago - but you could put it to your lawyer. Don't forget to ask his fees first, though, and remember, you can always tell when a lawyer is lying - his lips move.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back