Buying direct from manufacturer?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by BreweryDave, Nov 4, 2014.

1. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

What is to stop you buying direct from the factory for a new MH???
    Cut out the middle men and save a few bob???
    Can you just phone up and order one and collect from the factory???
    Just a thought!

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Dave, most of the major manufacturers will not get their hands dirty dealing with Joe Public ... they have their dealers to keep us apart!;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

part of the manufacturers contract that comes with being a designated dealer will be that the vehicles will ONLY be sold through them and that no vehicles will be sold direct to the public . this is to ensure that the dealers set up /running costs and warranty back up are not undermined . in some instances each dealer will be guaranteed an area / region and no other dealer will be allowed to operate within that radius . as a point of interest this practice was severely challenged back in the late 90s within the motorcycle industry with the flood of parallel imports that were being brought into the uk from europe . savings of approx 40% could be had on crated bikes that were sitting in warehouses having been over supplied from japan perhaps 6months to a year before. the manufacturers were happy to turn a blind eye to them being sold off through the back door to the uk because they were not going to effect the MAINLAND EURO market . the problems came when people tried to take their hondas /yamahas etc into a uk franchied dealer for any warranty work . a lot were told to take it back to their original supplier as it had not gone through a initial set up and pdi service by a uk dealer and therefore was void of any warranty !! the good thing was though was that there was so little that ever went wrong with a new jap bike the savings outweighed the lack of warranty ! I DONT THINK THAT WOULD BE THE CASE ON A MOTORHOME DO YOU ? regards garry

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    • Like Like x 6
  4. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I have been to a static caravan trade show, and was amazed by just how much you could save on a new holiday home. £14.000 cost from the maker, as opposed to £42.000 for the same model bought at a holiday home park......However, try getting somewhere to keep your 14 grand van! They will only allow you onto a park if you buy from them.

• Like Like x 5
  5. BreweryDave

All valid points. I just wonder what is the mark up on a 100k van???
    Nice to know how much wriggle room there is!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Murvi don't have dealers and do sell direct because they have to. No idea what sort of discounts are available (if any) but DevonBeekeeper is MURVI man so I imagine he'd know.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

most converters wont even sell spare parts to the general public. its not in their interests to do so. Dealers make a markup yes, but that has to cover selling the van and any warranty issues for which they get paid very little

theres a good markup on £75k+ vans, but margins are tighter on budget vans

• Like Like x 1
  8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I think as a generalisation small manufacturers will tend to sell direct to the public but for larger ones it is probably too much of a distraction and they can probably sell more MHs through a network of dealers across the country than they could if they had to sell them all from thier factory gates. Try buying a car off the manufacturer. Some do, you can probably collect a Morgan from the factory but I doubt you can for say a Vauxhall.

I must admit buying from Murvi has spoiled us and I doubt I would be happy buying from a dealer. Being able to visit the factory and choose exactly what you want whether it is Fiat fitted parts of MH specific was excellent. But, we live a stone's throw from Murvi and it would be different if they were 300 miles away.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Lucky you DBk, we went and spent a lot of time with Rex K but in the end went for something cheaper..............sadly!:cry:

10. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

We negotiated a 16% discount off our new Bessecarr
    Another dealer who trying to sell us a £100k van (different brand) told us their margin was 15% and that they would split that with us.
    I'd be tempted to offer a low price and increase your offer if necessary

11. rosierose

rosierose Funster

If a dealer can shave off £4,500 off of a brand new £47,000 van and chuck in about £1,000 worth of free accessories then I'm sure there is a good deal of haggling on a £100,000 van?

12. FJmike

FJmike Funster

Having spent some time in the trade (not selling) I have a rough idea on what most dealers mark up. BUT be careful what you wish for as a dealer does need to have make enough on a sale to provide reasonable aftersales service. That was one of the reasons Brownhills got themselves into a fix as they discounted so much there was not enough money for aftersales and business running costs. A policy that Autotrail used then (they might still use it) was to allocate a certain number of vans to a dealership, once that number was sold they would not supply anymore until the next year. So if other manufacturers employ this policy a good time to haggle would be just before reallocation time (if you could find that out?)

13. BreweryDave

Thanx. Not really applicable as only one uk dealer for what I want and will be ordering to a specific spec!
    Just didn't want to either be tooooo cheeky or pay over the odds! We have good haggling skills between us!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  14. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

A decent discount also drops the VAT so they save there as well

15. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

We are also looking around at at the moment, we found it interesting to compare German price list in Euros to Uk. We found overall a 15% difference, this was after excluding tax differences, at best the Uk was 6% more than eu, worst was 20%. The exchange rate should mean healthy discounts if buying EU vehicle.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Abacist

Abacist Funster

Providing that the rate does not move against you between ordering, delivery and paying!

Any sort of crisis can set the rates moving all over the place!

17. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

We got about 3.5k off a 64k van and also a trade in that was a out 2k over the odds (dealer said "I can always sell a good AutoSleeper") plus a couple of bits thrown in.

Scaling that up to 100k you should get at least 10% off but might be limited by a shortage of competition for selling the van that you are considering.

Cheers, Dave & Jacki

18. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

http://www.halofinancial.com/our-services/one-off-currency-payments.aspx
    Protection against adverse exchange rate movements
    Transferring currency can be a difficult balancing act. We can help protect you by taking advantage of favourable movements whilst protecting you against unfavourable ones. We’ll even enable you to fix an agreed exchange rate with us for up to 24 months for even greater stability.​

Options are available ;)

19. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

but in reality rates dont move that much in my experience (imported 9 vehicles last 20 years) between agreeing a price and paying.... The market in Europe much bigger and deals to be had, 17% not unusual on a CB less on a PVC. But when in the UK all they seem to do is change the € symbol for the £ one, conveniently forgetting about exchange rates!.... We pay a heavy price in the UK for that stretch of channel! UK not called treasure island for nothing..

as for brownills cutting margins to the bone? back in 2007 got a quote for a EuroMobil with zilch kit, Oh they did generously say they would throw in an awning! price £45K. I got the same van loaded with 5K of extras for £34K in Europe

manufactures really only sell through dealer networks...small bespoke companies being the exception

20. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Is there a strong financial advantage in buying a MH from Le Continent? I do know that you can buy the much sort after, (in this country), Eriba Caravans much cheaper in say Holland, (from a dealer), slap on a number plate, and tow them over, but of coarse a tug isn't a motor vehicle.......However, I do seem to remember that a few years ago, buying anew car from the EU was much cheaper then getting the same model here. Is that still the case??